Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron 2 or 3?  (Read 2754 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron 2 or 3?
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:21:06 pm »

I got Hearts of Iron 3 a while back, not having played any of the previous games in the series and I kind of disliked it. My main problem with it was the lack of ability to make changes to history in comparison with other Paradox titles. I was wondering, since HOI2 with expansions had a longer timeline, is it more possible to alter history? I've also heard about HOI2 being better than HOI3, is this just due to the bugs on release?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron 2 or 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »

HOI2 had a larger modbase, etc. and has the Kaissereich mod. I'd recommend you wait for Darkest Hour to come out, which is essentially a HOI2 remake on the same engine with World War I. Also, yeah, HOI2 is liked better, but IIRC HOI3 sold better. HOI3 is getting an expansion, which should be interesting. Also, in HOI3 you can change History plenty. Conquer the world with Nazi Germany, for one.  ::)
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron 2 or 3?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:15:53 pm »

I got HOI3 after I saw a post about it on the asshole of the internet. Since then I've been on and off playing it. It takes some getting used to, but it eventually gets easier to play. Kinda like another game we all know. I suggest if you get HOI3 that you play as America first. They've got plenty of resources, are separated from other possibly hostile countries, and the islands you do have in the Pacific give you a nice staging area should Japan (or Australia) get all uppity.