Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Obsession with... mining games?  (Read 2929 times)

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: Obsession with... mining games?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:28 pm »

Survivors of Ragnarok alpha. Don't really know much about it and the alpha doesn't really seem to be anything, but there's another pre-release mining game to watch.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:24 pm »

Motherload?
Spoiler: It is pretty dwarfy (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »

Motherlode is pretty awesome, especially when you get deep and things start getting really interesting.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:26 pm »

Cheap minecraft clone. like DF.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »

Heh, Motherlode was quite fun.  Something good about blasting a tunnel thousands of metres down.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:43 pm »

Godamnit, just played Motherload, got instakilled by an invisible gas pocket. An hour's work gone, in a big, illogical fireball.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »

They do give you several warnings to upgrade your heater for a reason.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 07:22:47 pm »

I really did hate the gas pocket feature.  It seemed entirely random, and could end my games at any time.  The earth quakes also killed my miningshafts rather often, and it was just a pain overall.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »

By the time you get to gas pockets you shoul be able to afford repair kits, tnt and teleporters so they shouldn't be much of  a problem.I remeber playing it with a cousin, it took our whole saturday but dammit we completed it :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

They do give you several warnings to upgrade your heater for a reason.
You mean radiator? And I don't think the radiator protects from gas pockets, just drilling into magma.

By the time you get to gas pockets you shoul be able to afford repair kits, tnt and teleporters so they shouldn't be much of  a problem.
I said "instakilled".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »

You mean radiator? And I don't think the radiator protects from gas pockets, just drilling into magma.
...Pretty sure it's gas pockets.  Otherwise I would've been instakilled dozens of times over when I got to the bottom.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 07:42:06 pm »

Get more armor then, it might seem usless at first but having a lot of hp really helps, and i remember having found an alien artifact that converted gas pockets into fuel, was really neat, untill i accidentally sold it to buy the last fuel tank, which had the same capacity but not the conversion ability :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

Motherload?
Spoiler: It is pretty dwarfy (click to show/hide)
Oh screw you! I was going to give that game a quick try, and now it is an hour and a half later. Thanks for getting me addicted!

Well atleast this will help me wait untill the DF bug fixes are done.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »

Just tried Motheload... a well-intentioned game-design rant follows.

It's an interesting concept, but there are a lot of instances of poor game design throughout, and with so few core mechanics, you need to put extra care an thought into designing them. The interface was more hindrance than help; the Save Bot was a hassle to avoid, as were shops, and there were far too many pointless clicks necessary to navigate menus (popup notifications, etc), which is much more noticeable due to the frequency with which you have to use them to advance. Movement and clipping was always a problem, especially on vertical ascents when what precious little fuel you had would be wasted. Exploding on fuel-loss also felt like a cop-out ending, especially with the incredibly slow pacing of the game, and how difficult it can be to predict how much fuel you'd burn flying back up. Throwing players a bone, like letting them operate under "auxiliary power" preventing you from digging, making you move more slowly, and/or even forcing you to jettison your cargo would have been nice penalties... but sudden death is unnecessary.

I'd say kill the fueling station menu and replace it with refueling over time, with automatic deductions, by sitting on the station. The mineral sale menu was pointless, since I never found any reason to sell fewer than all of it; combo bonuses (ex. a small multiplier for bringing back a certain number of one cargo type) might have been a nice way to make careful planning more important, and reward exploration rather than digging up the first thing you saw.

Meh, okay, rant over. I wish the game included contact information, as the rant would be more useful directed toward the developers.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »

I'm fairly certain Xgen Studios produced the game, although it is several years old at this point.
http://www.xgenstudios.com/contact/
Pages: 1 [2] 3