Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 15463 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

If anyone hasn't tried yet (I don't remember seeing a post in this thread), I made an asexual egg layer pet with no [MALE] or [FEMALE] tags, but its eggs wouldn't hatch either.  Unless the game defaults to one of those... although viewing the creature it did say 'it'.

Judging by people's responses here, egg fertilization occurs the same way impregnation in general works, so an asexual caste's eggs would never hatch.

I'm still curious about a male egg-laying caste, though.

I'm curious as to what would happen if you had an egg-laying caste with the [MALE] and [FEMALE]  tags...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2011, 01:16:25 am »

I highly doubt that putting both [MALE] and [FEMALE] on the same caste would work at all to begin with, although people are welcome to try!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2011, 01:29:07 am »

I highly doubt that putting both [MALE] and [FEMALE] on the same caste would work at all to begin with, although people are welcome to try!
I asked about that once in the Future of the Fortress thread.  It will pick one of them - either the first tag or the last, I don't recall which.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2011, 02:29:48 am »

Well, I got roosters laying eggs, so we know that males can do so.

However, I'm still not sure if they'll hatch. Anyone know how long it usually takes for eggs to hatch after laying?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2011, 04:57:23 am »

Hmm... I just had a thought...

Is it possible to have multiple types of eggs tied to one creature if we get the bug to do with unusual egg types fixed?  We could have creatures laying regular eggs most of the time, with an occasional unusual egg.

Even if you can't stack the tags on top of each other (you can't with ITEMCORPSE, which is very similar), then as long as the tag can be applied at the caste level, I'll be looking forward to having the occasional rare goose that lays golden eggs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »

Yep. Strictly speaking, you can do that now, although you wouldn't be able to eat them.

Of course, as far as the game's concerned, an egg with a golden eggshell and regular whites/yolks is still both perfectly edible and made entirely out of the gold, as will be meals produced from it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]