Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 15474 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 10:51:36 pm »

so does this mean My Female Human adventuress not going to have egg babies because she ain't married and not apart of the civ? If so then Horse poop what am I going to do with these Human eggs she laying other than throw them at creatures.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »

If there's a male human who also isn't part of the civ on the map, you may have a chance. 

Otherwise yeah, throwing weapon.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 11:11:42 pm »

If there's a male human who also isn't part of the civ on the map, you may have a chance. 

Otherwise yeah, throwing weapon.
looks like I have to abandon and add some type of Pet tag so I can buy a human or wait until a Human caravan comes and impregnates her. wait I do have DEAD Humans will they knock her up?
"body swapping and YOU!"

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 01:02:56 am »

No, I don't think so. 

The only observation I have to go on is that in animals, there needs to be a male on-map.  In the case of a duck that invaded one of my nestbox experiments, the male came over and stood by the female while she guarded the nest. 

I doubt that a member of a trading civ would count.  A dead male almost certainly wont.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 03:28:16 am »

SUCCESS!!!!!

The egg of the married dracon has hatched successfully and created a bouncing baby boy!

New Observations:
- Only eggs from MARRIED fortress members will hatch.  All others are infertile.
- Although the egg claims to be the egg of a certain caste once hatched the caste is randomized normally.
- The hatched child gets mother and father information properly.
- It seems to take about half a year for an egg to hatch.
- The mother does not have to be present for the egg to hatch (the mother was sleeping in the barracks)
- The mother will collect and carry the baby around normally.

Sweet: the conversion rate from egg to child is one to one. Hard to predict when the mothers spawn eggs though.

"Decaplets have hatched."
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 07:44:22 am »

Both phenomena consist of a female's body discarding an unused ovum. The only difference is what comes out with it. Blood and uterine tissue in the case of humans, or eggshell and amnion (and some membranes) in the case of chickens...

The problem here is that "what comes out of it" is what's actually being discussed, and there is no physical relation at all between a chicken egg and, well, anything that comes out of a mammalian female during menstruation (except maybe the egg cell, which isn't what they're talking about and isn't even visible).

IIRC the yolk is technically considered to be a highly specialized organelle of the egg cell, so in the chiocken's case the cell is visible once you cut away the shell, membranes, and amnion...

Right. I'm saying the cell (ovum) isn't really relevant/visible in the case of a human. My point being that they're comparing apples and oranges.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 08:27:25 am »

So, how can we mod dwarves themeselves to lay eggs?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:25 am »

Copy the tokens from a chicken.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20:50 am »

Sweet: the conversion rate from egg to child is one to one. Hard to predict when the mothers spawn eggs though.

"Decaplets have hatched."
Perhaps we're witnessing the gestation cycle/period of a dwarf as an egg?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 10:03:34 am »

It will be interesting to see what people do with this new feature and I can finally get my antman queens laying eggs.

On the topic of civilised creatures laying eggs: do we know if the mother needs to have been married when she laid the egg for it to hatch? I can imagine a female laying many eggs, getting married, and suddenly having many, many, children hatch at once.

This next question sounds so sexist but it's not, really. Does anyone know if a non intelligent female caste member will produce offspring if there are only intelligent male cast members around or will they never reproduce?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:14 am »

This next question sounds so sexist but it's not, really. Does anyone know if a non intelligent female caste member will produce offspring if there are only intelligent male cast members around or will they never reproduce?

This reminds me of the Kzin from the Known space books by Larry Niven, only with egg-laying involved.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:11 am »

It will be interesting to see what people do with this new feature and I can finally get my antman queens laying eggs.

On the topic of civilised creatures laying eggs: do we know if the mother needs to have been married when she laid the egg for it to hatch? I can imagine a female laying many eggs, getting married, and suddenly having many, many, children hatch at once.

well if past experiment taught me it is yeah intelligent creatures will spawn if another one of the same race is near but this was when they where tamed I don't know if two friendly characters will poop babies in your nest.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:42 am »

I'm not sure of the answer to that.  It seems like it may be possible, except that they won't go to meeting halls or anything to socialize to drag home a hubby after laying an egg.  They just sit on their nest all day.  One of my theorys is that the egg is just waiting for a husband to pull father data from, but I haven't been able to get any of the mothers married after laying to test it.  My first 6 subjects are nowhere near the meeting hall (they're in the chocobo pen) and the ones I placed in the meeting hall so far aren't getting hitched.

And shouldn't those intelligence tags be the other way around? *rimshot*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »

Solution: Fill your meeting zone with nest boxes.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »

Solution: Fill your meeting zone with nest boxes.

That way when the giant Rocs and Cave Crocodiles turn up you'll know where they're going! :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8