Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 15473 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

Okay, now DF is crashing when I try to Create New World, something about deallocating an array. I tried undoing my changes but it didn't work...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

This is a great success!  We have the very first egg-born fortress dweller!  Congrats on making DF history!

Quick question though: Can you tell if the egg is fertile or not, or who the mother is easily?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »

You can see who has a nest box claimed by 'q'uerying the building, so that should help.

Also: When the unusual egg tag is fixed, we should mod in a species of bunnies for good-aligned regions that lay toys as eggs. Made out of opal.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »

There is no direct indicator no.  But it seems you can do some detective work to tell if the egg is fertile.  You pretty much look to see who owns the box the egg is in, and then look at their description to see if they are married.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »

Okay, the earlier suggestion for a gold token caused the game to crash when I tried to gen a world. I played around and it accepted [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:STONE:NATIVE_GOLD] without popping anything in the errorlog. However the eggs appear to be normal and hatch normally. Well fooey.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

When the token is malformed, it probably just discards it, causing nothing abnormal to happen. It's likely that the crash is happening when you do it right.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »

It could also be that the mother is required to be married for the eggs to actually hatch.
This would actually make sense from a biological point of view.  Chickens and many other egg-layers can still lay unfertilized, sterile eggs even if they haven't mated.

Exactly correct. I like to think of it as the avian equivalent of getting one's period...

It is and it isn't. Obviously, chickens don't menstruate and have nothing analogous to that at all, but they're both at least related to ovulation, which you just don't really notice (per se) in people because we don't lay big honkin' eggs.

Of course, that doesn't stop PETA from saying "EGGS ARE CHICKEN PERIODS!!" in all caps on their children's sites, but hey, who says political propaganda has to be grounded in reality?

I didn't get that from them. i just have a perverted mind.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 pm »

I know you didn't, it just made my mind segue into that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »

It could also be that the mother is required to be married for the eggs to actually hatch.
This would actually make sense from a biological point of view.  Chickens and many other egg-layers can still lay unfertilized, sterile eggs even if they haven't mated.

Exactly correct. I like to think of it as the avian equivalent of getting one's period...

It is and it isn't. Obviously, chickens don't menstruate and have nothing analogous to that at all, but they're both at least related to ovulation, which you just don't really notice (per se) in people because we don't lay big honkin' eggs.

Both phenomena consist of a female's body discarding an unused ovum. The only difference is what comes out with it. Blood and uterine tissue in the case of humans, or eggshell and amnion (and some membranes) in the case of chickens...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:03:10 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »

Both phenomena consist of a female's body discarding an unused ovum. The only difference is what comes out with it. Blood and uterine tissue in the case of humans, or eggshell and amnion (and some membranes) in the case of chickens...

The problem here is that "what comes out of it" is what's actually being discussed, and there is no physical relation at all between a chicken egg and, well, anything that comes out of a mammalian female during menstruation (except maybe the egg cell, which isn't what they're talking about and isn't even visible).

Also: Chickens lay eggs to use them. They're not being "discarded".

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:07 pm »

Got a question about the eggs. If one mods a player race, and an unmarried female lays an infertile egg, will she eventually abandon it, or just keep sitting on it until the end of time?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:14 pm »

The problem here is that "what comes out of it" is what's actually being discussed, and there is no physical relation at all between a chicken egg and, well, anything that comes out of a mammalian female during menstruation (except maybe the egg cell, which isn't what they're talking about and isn't even visible).

Also: Chickens lay eggs to use them. They're not being "discarded".

What is a chicken going to do with an unfertilized egg?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

IIRC the yolk is technically considered to be a highly specialized organelle of the egg cell, so in the chiocken's case the cell is visible once you cut away the shell, membranes, and amnion...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:54 pm »

Looks like sit on it til the end of time so far.  Egg can still be dumped though, and it seems they'll eventually abandon the nest sometime after.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »

IIRC the yolk is technically considered to be a highly specialized organelle of the egg cell, so in the chiocken's case the cell is visible once you cut away the shell, membranes, and amnion...

Ah yes, here we are, according to Wikipedia "Prior to fertilization, the yolk together with the germinal disc* is a single cell"

(And for all those of you who still don't trust Wikipedia, Please note that Wikipedia was not my original source for this information. I first learned it in a college embryology course, and merely used Wikipedia to confirm that I was remembering it correctly)

*The germinal disc is the part that divides off after fertilization (if fertilization occurs) and eventually develops into the actual hatchling.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8