Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 15487 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »

I'm going to assume it takes place of it, but at this point, I don't think we even have verification that it works.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

It appears that if you include a LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS tag it crashes DF.  I tried it with a longsword, and someone else on the boards tried it with metal bars.

Also, it seems reaction-created eggs don't hatch  :(.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:19 pm »

It appears that if you include a LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS tag it crashes DF.  I tried it with a longsword, and someone else on the boards tried it with metal bars.

Also, it seems reaction-created eggs don't hatch  :(.

I am using it right now to make Golden Geese. However none of them have laid eggs yet. Instead a WILD turkey came in and laid eggs!!!
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »

You shouldn't need that tag to lay golden eggs, if that's what you're doing. You can specify any material for egg shell, whites, or yolks.

Unless you want it to lay gold bars or something, of course.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

You shouldn't need that tag to lay golden eggs, if that's what you're doing. You can specify any material for egg shell, whites, or yolks.

Someone suggested they weren't meltable so I decided to try for plain gold ore. Still waiting. Still surprised that a wild animal would come in and give me free eggs  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »

It appears that if you include a LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS tag it crashes DF.

I am using it right now to make Golden Geese. However none of them have laid eggs yet. Instead a WILD turkey came in and laid eggs!!!

Could you post the tag you're using?
Mods I've done:

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »

Someone suggested they weren't meltable so I decided to try for plain gold ore. Still waiting. Still surprised that a wild animal would come in and give me free eggs  ;D

Good point.

But yeah, anything that can lay eggs will do so in your nest boxes. I got accosted by waterfowl during my first test.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

[LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:INORGANIC:GOLD:SOLID]
         [EGG_SIZE:52]
         [CLUTCH_SIZE:8:13]

I haven't modded before so I may be Doing It Wrong. However at least it hasn't crashed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 07:13:29 pm »

That doesn't look like an item token to me. I think the token for stones is "STONE", and you'd need to use the native gold material if you want to be able to turn it into bars like you would actual native gold rocks.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 07:15:04 pm »

That doesn't look like an item token to me. I think the token for stones is "STONE", and you'd need to use the native gold material if you want to be able to turn it into bars like you would actual native gold rocks.

I'm not really sure how to do this. The raws are kind of confusing  :-\

Edit well FRIG I definitely did it wrong, gilt goose has given birth to gilt goslings XD

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »

My exact experience was that LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS does nothing unless it is invoked like so: LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:MATERIAL:MAT_SUBTYPE:ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE
In which case all it does is crash the game.

For example [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL] or
[LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:IRON]
both crash the game, while [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG] has no effect.

In the second case creatures don't lay eggs unless they have the LAYS_EGGS token.  So my guess is that those geese won't lay eggs.  Do you have unclaimed egg boxes?

EDIT:  Nevermind that last question  ;)
Mods I've done:

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

I'm assuming it works similarly to ITEMCORPSE.

I checked out how bronze colossi use that: [ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BRONZE]

In this case, it's the item token followed by the subtype followed by "inorganic" (to draw from the inorganic object raws, I guess) followed by the material. I think "subtype" is for items that have different, well, subtypes, like instruments, but I'm honestly not sure when you use that.

So you PROBABLY want:

[LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_GOLD]

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:24 pm »

Okay, I am regenning now with [LAYS_EGGS]
      [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_GOLD]

If it's successful, time to add silver, copper, and rusty geese :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »

SUCCESS!!!!!

The egg of the married dracon has hatched successfully and created a bouncing baby boy!

New Observations:
- Only eggs from MARRIED fortress members will hatch.  All others are infertile.
- Although the egg claims to be the egg of a certain caste once hatched the caste is randomized normally.
- The hatched child gets mother and father information properly.
- It seems to take about half a year for an egg to hatch.
- The mother does not have to be present for the egg to hatch (the mother was sleeping in the barracks)
- The mother will collect and carry the baby around normally.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:25:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:21 pm »

"A boy have hatched."

Cool grammar!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8