Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)  (Read 15466 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Testing Thread (or: Can you cook eggs made out of charcoal?)
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2011, 12:01:10 pm »

Considering the intelligence of dwarves, in their ability to run across a siege to retrieve a sock, run away from magma by running INTO it, and farmers die of starvation while at a party hosted next door to their assigned farm plot...  I don't think being smart has anything to do with it!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:11 pm »

so any one seen a wild animal egg hatch in their nest yet? If so then removing the smart tags on your creatures might be the solution to get them breeding.

Yeah, I had a pair of ducks hatch some eggs in one of my outdoor nests. 

The male and female ducks both guarded the nest while the eggs incubated.  The hatchlings were wild.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »

I moded gobbos to lay eggs...fun ensued and I caught several and gained some goblin eggs...since gobbos dont marry they cant quite spawn in your slave pits now unless you change them a tad.

I know that invaders are capable of becoming pregnant and giving birth on the map. If this is possible, it should also be possible to eventually cause some goblin eggs to hatch. For example, I recently read about an invading tiger woman giving birth to cubs while trapped in a murky pool over the course of several tigerman sieges. The problem is that the exact factors that lead to invaders becoming pregnant are unclear.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2011, 02:11:36 pm »

But if you could get invaders to lay eggs and hatch, you could make your own Goblin colony :P

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:09 pm »

But if you could get invaders to lay eggs and hatch, you could make your own Goblin colony :P

or, even better, breed them for training purposes.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »

or, even better, breed them for training purposes.
wow when did Dwarfs go snatch the babies and children of Goblins?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:15 pm »

Hmm... I just had a thought...

Is it possible to have multiple types of eggs tied to one creature if we get the bug to do with unusual egg types fixed?  We could have creatures laying regular eggs most of the time, with an occasional unusual egg.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »

Hmm... I just had a thought...

Is it possible to have multiple types of eggs tied to one creature if we get the bug to do with unusual egg types fixed?  We could have creatures laying regular eggs most of the time, with an occasional unusual egg.

I, also, just had a thought. once unusual eggs get fixed, eliminate the need for females of egglayers; have the unusual egg of one creature (say, a chicken) be the egg of whatever other creature you don't want to have to have a female for. perhaps mermaids.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2011, 12:52:35 am »

I moded gobbos to lay eggs...fun ensued and I caught several and gained some goblin eggs...since gobbos dont marry they cant quite spawn in your slave pits now unless you change them a tad.

I know that invaders are capable of becoming pregnant and giving birth on the map. If this is possible, it should also be possible to eventually cause some goblin eggs to hatch. For example, I recently read about an invading tiger woman giving birth to cubs while trapped in a murky pool over the course of several tigerman sieges. The problem is that the exact factors that lead to invaders becoming pregnant are unclear.

I thought that the conditions required them to appear on the map, with their beloved - which means that they had to be Named invaders from worldgen. Possibly they can show up pregnant, or their mate may also have to show up. I would be interested in data proving/disproving this. I have only had once pregnancy, they were named, but I did not have an easy way to check if they were married in worldgen.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 02:14:35 am »

I thought that the conditions required them to appear on the map, with their beloved - which means that they had to be Named invaders from worldgen. Possibly they can show up pregnant, or their mate may also have to show up. I would be interested in data proving/disproving this. I have only had once pregnancy, they were named, but I did not have an easy way to check if they were married in worldgen.

Every time I've experienced pregnant enemy soldiers, they have been grunts generated from scratch instead of historical figures. I know this because the mods I play force invasions by removing the ability of besieging races to speak, which also means that any of their soldiers who attacks me and is not a historical figure will be generated without a name.

In other words, it is possible for enemy civs to reproduce by spores without an apparent marriage recorded in the histories. The only issue might be whether this ability is tied to the lack of the ability to speak.

Still, it would then be trivial to change the goblin's INTELLIGENT tag to only CAN_LEARN to arrange this effect.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

COuld you add up a little question there?
Since eggs can hatch, how the hatching works?
Would it be possible to craft eggs that hatch things like Golems and such?
I'd like that...

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »

hy all
i made some tests about egg laying civ (where male and female genders aren't intelligent, rare and buyable as pats) so i have 10 egglaying queen,
after the second hatching period i think they can have misscariage, (in both i only hade 9 hatching) and i think once it happens it won't let new hatchings from that nest (maybe until the eggs are removed)
but it seems to work well, from my experience you need to have child tag, can_civ on the breeding castes, no cluster size but the one for the eggs
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:05 pm »

COuld you add up a little question there?
Since eggs can hatch, how the hatching works?
Would it be possible to craft eggs that hatch things like Golems and such?
I'd like that...

You can't define a specific creature to hatch from an egg, no. It functions like regular birth, as far as I know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Alocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

If anyone hasn't tried yet (I don't remember seeing a post in this thread), I made an asexual egg layer pet with no [MALE] or [FEMALE] tags, but its eggs wouldn't hatch either.  Unless the game defaults to one of those... although viewing the creature it did say 'it'.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:38 pm »

Judging by people's responses here, egg fertilization occurs the same way impregnation in general works, so an asexual caste's eggs would never hatch.

I'm still curious about a male egg-laying caste, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8