Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you make the initial team ?  (Read 1712 times)

Gimli007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you make the initial team ?
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:41:46 am »

Hello,

I love DF but now I find that i don't know how to play DF as i find that the points are less than before as i was makng my 3rd dwarf i had 1 point left.
So how do ypu make a good basic team with this new points?

Yea i'm talking about DF 31.19
IMAC 24"

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make the initial team ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:50 am »

If you think you have to few embark points, you can always raise them before worldgen under the advanced worldgen options. IIRC itīs right there where you set the end date, maximal population and that stuff.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:15:33 am »

You can remove certain things(items) from your embark to give your dwarfs more points for generation. I would suggest making sure that you have enough mining picks/axes for your miners and lumberdwarves - It's never much fun to embark only to find that two of your miners can't do anything useful. :-[
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:25:31 am »

1 Brewer
1 Planter
1 trader (Judge of Intent and Appraisal skills)
3 miners
1 stonecrafter

For the first couple seasons everyone except the miners mostly does hauling. Then once I've actually carved out a little hole to live in everybody else gets to work doing their jobs, while my miners mostly take up hauling duty and only dig out more space when I run out of room. My trader is pretty much just a hauler until the first migrant wave, when he takes up bookkeeping and job management.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:08 am »

To increase your embark points, only embark with 50-100 drink and food (depending on how good you are with foodmanagement), 2 copper axes and 2 wooden training axes + animals

To further increace left over points you can:
bring no axes, just destroy your wagon, build a carpenters workshop and build a training axe
bring 1 bauxite and 2 copper nuggets (and an anvil), build a wood burner workshop and burn 1 wood and than smelt the copper and make picks

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:37 am »

Just leave the anvil - thats 100 points and the first caravan usually brings a few. 

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

Just leave the anvil - thats 100 points and the first caravan usually brings a few.

But what if your civilisation is dead? You'll have to rely on Humans (if they even appear!) and during that time you're vulnerable to Goblin attacks.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:54:47 am »

1 Leader (Trader and doctor)
2 Miners (Also masons)
1 Woodcutter (also carpenter)
And either:
2 Farmers
or
1 Farmer
1 Other

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:01:09 am »

The reason I find initial points are less is my Dorfs seem obsessed with bringing a Steel Anvil, at 300 points. -.-
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:04:13 am »

I always get rid of the splints, bucket, quivers and crap like that. I almost always embark somewhere with wood and it is trivial to make them on-site. Usually I only take one axe too. That gets me enough for decent skills and a few animals or extra food. I usually take

2 miners
1 Carpenter
1 Mechanic
1 Weaponsmith/armorsmith
1 doctor
1 cook/brewer

Sometimes I trade out the mechanic for a mason or the cook for grower. Or the carpenter for a soldier in evil areas. There are a lot of ways to do it.
Memento Mori

mimmfantry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:57 am »

A Dwarves start with max in skills.
3 miner/engravers
1 Carpenter/woodcutter
1 Mason/building designer
1 Weapon smith/armor smith
1 Grower/Herbalist

3 picks
1 wooden training ax
no anvil (buy the first one that comes)
Lots of booze/food (at a 2:1 ratio)

Upon reaching the embark zone my weapon smith starts brewing and cooking until the forges are available.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »

I embark with 10k points because it already takes up a lot of time and I like to just get to the stuff I like. I max out two skills per dwarf.

My most recent build is geared towards glass and food production.

Noble (1 point in each: persuader, negotiator, liar, judge of intent, appraiser, organizer, record keeper, consoler, pacifier, and leader) x1
Building Designer/Glassmaker x2
Grower/Cook x1
Grower/Brewer x1
Grower/Glassmaker x1
Mechanic/Glassmaker x1

I embark with 7 picks, give them all mining and let them get to work. After the first wave I substitute migrants as miners in place of the growers and the noble. The noble is my only noble other than my medical dwarf, whom I pick from amongst the migrants. Once the base is dug and cleared of stone I set up my traps and make green glass blocks with which to build huge pointless structures!
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:20 pm »

You can shore up some points by removing plump helmets (they are four a pop, can be grown quickly and easily, brewable plants can be found via plant gathering), drop all the wooden equipment at the bottom of the list (buckets, splints, crutch, etc), drop quivers unless you are sure you'll need them (you can make ambushers who start with them anyways if you are going that way), drop down the amount of cloth/thread/rope/bags (I keep one rope in case I need an early well, and one or two cloth/thread in case I have an early injury, and drop all the bags).  You can buy plenty of cloth from the caravans if you need it, as well as get it from plants/spider webs or animals. 

Doing this should free up quite a few points without actually getting rid of anything that is super useful or hard to replace very early on for very low cost. 

As for your initial guys.. A lot depends on where you are going (and I don't pretend to be an expert regardless), generally speaking I have at least one trained up miner (even more important now that metal is rare), grower and food producers, somebody who is good at fort management (used for broker, manager, etc), a armor/weaponsmith (Again, metal is now rare, better to give him a boost early on in quality), and depending on the situation perhaps some trained soldiers (if you train ambusher you get a free set of leather armor, crossbow, bolts and quiver), this is more useful if you are in a dangerous biome or you have mods that may result in early attacks (such as fort defense II).

Ultimately you just need to think along three lines; one, what things do you need to specialize in as fast as possible, what things are most useful to have highly specialized in the long run (for example its less important in most situations to have a highly skilled butcher then a weaponsmith), and finally what things take a long time (or are expensive in terms of resources) to level up in game (mining, woodchopping, etc will train up pretty fast.  You can, for minimal cost, train up stoneworking as there will likely be tons of stone out there to practice with, metalwork on the other hand takes a while and metal is (these days) rare).

So yea, its perhaps more general info then specifics but like I said, builds change a lot depending on where you are biome wise, what mods you have, and what your goals are (both long and short term) as well as obviously your play style.

-MB

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 07:18:53 pm »

I usually do,

Leader (Appraiser, Organizer, Record Keeper, Building Designer, social skills)
Doctor/novice Herbalist if I expect any outside plants (short-term)
5 Miner/5 Blacksmith
5 Miner/5 Mechanic
3 Woodcutter/3 Axeman/3 Fighter/1 Ambusher
5 Grower/5 Brewer
5 Mason/5 Carpenter

I throw out the bags, buckets, cloth, thread, splints, quivers, a rope or two, and of course the crutches.  In fact, my embark items are pretty much only 2 picks, an axe, and plenty of food and drink.  I like to bring a male puppy and a female puppy as well, to start up the Dog Industry.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »

I usually use

2 miners
1 woodcutter/carpenter
2 growers/ herbalist
1 mason/ building designer
1 mechanic
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.
Pages: [1] 2