Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappearing sand.  (Read 765 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disappearing sand.
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:56 am »

I designated a 30-tile area as a sand collection zone when starting my fort. A year later, it's all covered in grass and there's no sand left in it. There is some sand left on the map (roughly a tenth of what it was initially), but it is kind of troublesome that sand can be "eaten" by grass.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Disappearing sand.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:15:28 am »

If you get dwarves to walk over the top of it, the grass will wear off (and you should get sand again).  Honestly, though, I've never had that trouble.  I guess all my sand zones are underground, so grass doesn't seem to grow there.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:20 am »

Sand isn't eaten by grass.  This implies that it's destroyed.  Rather, it's covered up.  You can trample it easily enough, or build something on top of it, like a farm plot, which when de-constructed causes sand to be left behind.  Dirt roads are VERY useful for clearing grass away from a sand or clay site, as they clear away a region and make it "furrowed" but wears off eventually.  Re-roading should be an issue though, as it takes half a second and anyone may do it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:39:46 am »

With 31.19 you can just make it pasture land and let grazers eat it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:41:39 am »

magma burns grass.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:05 am »

I've decided to go with the road paving method (I prefer the grazers to be outdoors). I'm not actually using glass yet but I like to plan in advance.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »

1.  You can build a sand collection area on a stockpile area. 

2.  In times past, people supressed growth of plants on an area by defining it as a stockpile.

If both of these still hold true, you should be able to define your sand collecting area on a small stockpile that holds nothing, or for that matter on a larger one that holds the bags.  Ditto for clay, except that it doesn't need bags.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »

Actually, in .19 my dorfs will harvest clay from grass.  I dug out a large area, defined it as a clay zone, and then it grassed over.  My dwarves don't care and stand on the grass harvesting clay.