Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Trees Don't Grow on Clay  (Read 1276 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground Trees Don't Grow on Clay
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:01:35 am »

!@%@^ it.

Screw you, Dwarf Fortress. I planned this level as a tree farm and by Armok it will be a tree farm. Masons! Start building floodgates. Mechanics! Start building mechanisms. Wall-building team! Build aqueducts throughout this entire level. I don't care if it will take 50 dwarves three years. THIS LEVEL WILL GROW TREES BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT SAYS ON THE PLANS.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Trees Don't Grow on Clay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:11:59 am »

hehehe i did that once when i first started playing with 40d, before i realized i needed an underground river or pool (but didnt have one)

i didnt play for a while after that sad realization...  :'(

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:50 am »

If you have any water source, then all you're facing is an engineering challenge.  Are you dwarven enough to pump water up from the caverns to flood your erstwhile tree farm?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:52 am »

I tried making an indoor park with a river flowing through it and trees growing on eitherside below my fort. Didnt go so well.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:21:08 am »

If you have any water source, then all you're facing is an engineering challenge.  Are you dwarven enough to pump water up from the caverns to flood your erstwhile tree farm?

Yes, but I'm also dwarven enough to know there's a river above my head, and down is easier than up.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

Oh, the memories of using almost nothing but gravity in my 40d obsidian farms...

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »

Well I flooded that sumbitch but good. Now the dorfs are swimming through the "3"s and tearing down the retaining walls. Future flood projects will be a lot easier, I learned a lot doing this. Mainly:

You don't need to run pipes everywhere. Gravity feed from a brook will flood a huge area before the dispersion and evaporation slows it down. On a 2x2 embark, I think I could have gotten away with just two walls dividing the embark into four squares, with gates in between. (I ended up building like 20 zones which was gross overkill.)

If you want it to drain fast, you will need multiple drains. I've got one 2x2 drain in the middle and its taking months to pour out. Luckily there's no rush, the trees are growing just fine underwater.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:09 pm »

Well I flooded that sumbitch but good. Now the dorfs are swimming through the "3"s and tearing down the retaining walls. Future flood projects will be a lot easier, I learned a lot doing this. Mainly:

You don't need to run pipes everywhere. Gravity feed from a brook will flood a huge area before the dispersion and evaporation slows it down. On a 2x2 embark, I think I could have gotten away with just two walls dividing the embark into four squares, with gates in between. (I ended up building like 20 zones which was gross overkill.)

If you want it to drain fast, you will need multiple drains. I've got one 2x2 drain in the middle and its taking months to pour out. Luckily there's no rush, the trees are growing just fine underwater.
From the wiki: Pipes, or pipe sections, are used as components in the construction of screw pumps. You can't build pipes by themselves in the current version, nor connect them to form a conduit - to move water or magma from one place to another, see aqueduct.

I'm confused :S

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 03:04:25 pm »

I got great results with tree-growing in a large underground area *(by accident)--

basically build a pump facing backwards, have it endlessly filling an enclosed space.  The back of the pump, including the pit you are pumping from, should face the room you wish to be forested.  There will be lots of mist and the mist will gradually accumulate, filling your whole room with a 1 deep pool of water. To guarantee easy control,  build glass windows in a chess-board pattern, this (and burrows) will let dwarves enjoy some emergency mist if they need it, while negating water pressure.  It took about a year but the room was almost constantly a little wet, and many many trees sprouted.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:09:35 pm »

two things:

1. You have made sure to breach a cavern layer, right?
2. sometimes plants seem reluctant to grow they are on a soil floor with a layer of stone beneath
Soaplent green is goblins!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

I'm confused :S

Pipes in the sense of a one-tile wide walled tunnel to carry water from the brook in the SE corner to the other parts of the map, not pipes in the component sense. Sorry for the confusion.

basically build a pump facing backwards, have it endlessly filling an enclosed space.  The back of the pump, including the pit you are pumping from, should face the room you wish to be forested.  There will be lots of mist and the mist will gradually accumulate, filling your whole room with a 1 deep pool of water. To guarantee easy control,  build glass windows in a chess-board pattern, this (and burrows) will let dwarves enjoy some emergency mist if they need it, while negating water pressure.  It took about a year but the room was almost constantly a little wet, and many many trees sprouted.

Fascinating idea. Gonna have to try this one. How big an area could you cover?