Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Megabeasts Continue Killing for Several Hundred Years  (Read 1133 times)

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead Megabeasts Continue Killing for Several Hundred Years
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:39 am »

Just generated my first world in 31.19 and decided to look through Legends for a bit before cracking into the game to see what demon types there might be, etc.
I noticed that there were six Bronze Colossi (!) listed as killed in worldgen; given how durable they usually are this surprised me so I looked to see what mighty force took down the things.

What I found was... well, see for yourself:

Something seems to be going very, very wrong here. I found the same thing was true of most of the other colossi, as well as several Hydras. In fact, of all the Megabeasts listed as having "died" in worldgen, only one Colossus and two Rocs actually seem to have stayed dead after being killed. I'm not 100% certain they're really dead, either, as one Hydra apparently laid low for 500+ years after being killed in battle before attacking some more humans.

They're not listed as being "zombie" or "skeletal" so far as I can tell, and to my knowledge even before creatures like Zombie Dragons weren't actually generated from normal Dragons that died and then underwent X process - Even if they were, Bronze Colossi being inorganic I can't imagine that such a process would apply to them, anyway.

This seems to be a pretty serious glitch; I know that the bug tracker is used for reports now but I figured I'd make a thread here to see if anyone else has experienced this problem as well, or can possibly figure out what's going on here. I might make an Adventurer and try to track down the phantom Beasts, but I don't have time tonight.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:57:26 am by Torchy »

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Megabeasts Continue Killing for Several Hundred Years
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:56:24 am »

Just double-checked some of the Semi-Megabeasts. The same thing happened with an Ettin who died in 172 and went on killing for 500 years before going quiet. Whether he's dead or not now, I don't know. Checking other Semi-Megabeast types now but something tells me this isn't specific; Without any knowledge of the technical workings of things it seems to me that singular actors in worldgen aren't actually removed from eligibility to cause events once they're figured as killed in one.

EDIT: Happens for Cyclopses too, quashing my theory that the bug was a misreporting of death caused by normally fatal blows like brain destruction against multi-headed creatures like Hydras or Ettins or the very resilient BCs.

EDIT 2: And a Voracious Cave Crawler. That... for some reason seems to have acted like a sentient race member. "First of its kind", settled what I think is a town, etc. Died of old age in 21. Went on kicking for 23 more years until someone struck it down and seems to have killed it for real (or who knows? Maybe it's living in a hut somewhere).

Something really, really wrong is happening here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:30:48 am by Torchy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:45 am »

If this was a FB, I'd say it's got syndromes laying all over the place killing by proxy.  Not that I'm sure if that's possible in worldgen or not...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:09:20 am »

If this was a FB, I'd say it's got syndromes laying all over the place killing by proxy.  Not that I'm sure if that's possible in worldgen or not...
nah bronze colossus don't get fancy syndromes. so I guess the BC must had done some lethal damage to some creatures with out killing them and they just gave away to their old wounds.
that or the bronze turn into a ghost and kept on killin'.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:11:29 am »

BC ghost? Oh man...
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:33:17 am »

the real question here is, can these beasts attack you in fortress mode? or can you find them in adventure mode? godlike megabeasts seem like a substantial problem lol.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:12 am »

My theory is that Toady, in order to prevent civilizations from dying from starvation during worldgen, put in some kind of shortcut until he gets around to fully implementing food trade. Creatures are still listed in the records as dying of various causes, but they don't actually die.

Quote from: Toady One (in 31.19 Release Notes)
People eat and starve in world gen now, though it doesn't matter afterward.  Subsequent releases coming up will be making use of these changes during play, but don't expect too much there this time.

This might explain the new lag in worldgen as years pass, because the world population may be strictly increasing?