Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay: How do I get it?  (Read 14985 times)

SriBri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Clay: How do I get it?
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:40:59 pm »

As per thread title; I can't figure out how clay gathering zones work. I have both 'clay' and 'silty clay loam' in my fortress, but zones on the floor don't offer the ability to gather clay, and the order 'Gather Clay' from my Kiln returns the order that a 'Need valid, active clay collection zone'. I've tried irrigating an area to make mud, and channelling out a pit, but neither seem to effect it. No info up yet on either the clay or zones entry in the wiki. Has anyone else had success with the new clay industry? Am I making a stupid mistake here?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay: How do I get it?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:46:38 pm »

You need to designate a clay collection zone. Press i to designate a zone and once you have, move the cursor over it to select it. Press c to designate it as a clay collection zone. Should start working. :)
Memento Mori

SriBri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »

You need to designate a clay collection zone. Press i to designate a zone and once you have, move the cursor over it to select it. Press c to designate it as a clay collection zone. Should start working. :)

Right, I've tried doing that, but the value next to the zone still says Clay (0) and the Kiln order returns the same error. The zones don't seem to be valid. You've gotten it to work though?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:35 pm »

Note that unlike sand, gathering clay requires no bucket, bag, or anything else.  Apparently dwarves just go down and scrape their beard across the floor, gathering up clay like a snowball.  Be wary if using Gather Clay /R because they'll keep gathering, a LOT of the stuff.  A tower or megaproject made of clay should be very easy to accomplish.

Dig down a level or two, find sandy clay wall or something, and dig around there, then define the zone.  Above ground clay requires a creature to trample over the grass.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:51:29 pm »

Yeah, it did work for me when I  did  that. I can't think of why it wouldn't for you unless grass gums it up somehow.  :-\ I placed mine specifically to avoid it.
Memento Mori

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:51 pm »

Silty clay loam shouldn't work, according to the raws, which is a shame because that's all I've got.  The raws say your clay area should work if these other people say it's working, though.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SriBri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »

Above ground clay requires a creature to trample over the grass.

This is another thing; grass seems to be spreading quite rapidly in my subterranean dirt levels. That clay/silty clay loam z-level has almost completely grown over with a variety of Sedge grasses and various others. Is grass supposed to grow underground now?

SriBri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:57:55 pm »

Oops, I'm starting to think that a tileset I installed may have contained some files that conflict with the new release. Was thrown off because some of the new version's features were working. I'll try fixing that and see if clay works.

Nevermind, fresh install with no mods has the same issues.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:02:32 pm by SriBri »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:20 pm »

I've noticed this, I've got grass growing underground on clay.  Every biologist in the world is crying right now.

Now the real question: How do we weaponize this?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »

Not even exposed to light!  Grass is growing freely underground!

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:36:11 am »

You're digging some part of your fort somewhere other than the pure, solid, dwarfy Stone beneath? The grass is punishing you.

If you're being a bad dwarf having trouble keeping grass from growing on your dry, lightless clay, you could designate the clay collection zone as a pasture and set all of your animals to graze the place to the floor.

Or you could make your clay collection zone into a magma chamber and regularly raze the place to cinders. It would be a more dependable way of eliminating that green and fuzzy menace.