Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good Tactical RPG's?  (Read 3210 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Good Tactical RPG's?
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:16 pm »

After getting a Gameboy Advance emulator so I could play my favorite Pokemon games a while back, I started searching for other games for the GBA. I found the masterpieces that are Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis and Final Fantasy: Tactics Advanced, as well as a sci-fi game called Rebelstar: Tactical Command, a game inspired by the X-Com series. Having beaten all three, I now hunger for more tactical RPG games. Does anyone know of any good ones that are available? I care not if they are PC games, random flash games, for the Xbox or any other platform. Keep in mind, however, that I only own a Wii and a small netbook, so any intense (processing-wise) games are out of my ability to play.

What I am looking for, gameplay-wise:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Games I know about:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any help in finding good games would be greatly appreciated.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Tactical RPG's?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »

How about the actual Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS one? Its far superior to the game boy one and the plot is actualy enjoyable.

Alternatively, vantage master could sorta help. Also, Dofus Arena, Dofus and Wakfu are like that, but Online, altough Dofus and Wakfu are both MMORPGs in which you control only one character.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »

I'd suggest the many games from Nippon Ichi. They developed games such as Disgaea and Soul Nomad which seem like the types that you'd like.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

Might want to check out Disgaea. Has a similar system to FFT's 'anyone can learn anything' system where your characters can take on pupils that can teach their master the powers from that class (not to mention you can reincarnate your character so that you have higher base stats, or change the character's class when you reincarnate (I believe you can change class atleast) assuming it's not a main character)

It also has the whole 'movement' deal covered with the whole 'throw your party members system'. You can literally make a tower of twenty of your characters and have them all throw eachother across the map to get amazing distance at the cost of not being able to attack. It's also pretty in depth with each item having it's own little (Randomly generated) world inside of it that you can conquer to make the item more powerful (and unlock souls in the item that you can then move to other items)

Believe the games are on PS2, PS3, DS, and PSP...

Edit: Friggin 'someone has posted, please review your post' x2 combo ninja D:

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »

I'm not sure if this counts, but there is a game i found in a box of Gameboy games that I thought i'd lost forever, it's called
Heroes of Might and Magic.

Here's the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_(Game_Boy_Color)
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

I'm not sure if this counts, but there is a game i found in a box of Gameboy games that I thought i'd lost forever, it's called
Heroes of Might and Magic.

Here's the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_(Game_Boy_Color)

Ah yes. Number 3 on the PC is brilliant and the 5th one is pretty good once you have the expansion packs (original release was a bit of a mess but thankfully you can buy the bundle fairly cheap)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:18 pm »

Silent Storm Series may run on a netbook

I love this game

http://www.silentstorm-online.de/main.php?lang=en
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »

In the vein of Silent storm there is always 'Jagged Alliance'. You can pick up a copy of one or two on good old games, $10 each. There are also two stand-alone expansion packs to JA2 that are $5 each (I believe Wildfire is a reworking of the original plot of JA2, while Unfinished Business is a follow up of some sort. Don't really know too much about them but they're on GOG as well)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »

The HoMM series is epic. I have played both three and five, and loved both. I actually have a physical copy of the original game and play it sometimes for fun. If there are any similar games you know of, I would love to hear of them.
Silent Storm looks a bit too much for my laptop, but thanks for the suggestion.
Disgaea looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look into it and see what the PS3 game is like. Thanks a lot!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:06 pm »

Tactics Ogre: 'Let us Cling Together'
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:44 pm »

I'm not sure if they quite fit the bill, but the first two Fallout games were somewhat tactical.  World In Conflict is also a tactical simulator, despite being viewed as an RTS.

KG

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »

Some tactical rpgs I can think of are:

Disgaea series
Final Fantasy Tactics
the tactics ogre series
Shining Force series
UFO alien invasion (a freeware game very similar to Xcom)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 02:16:36 am »

Jagged Alliance 2
Silent Storm 1 & 2
Hammer and Sickle
Incubation
Temple of Elemental Evil(More RPGy than Tacticaly, but has a strong tactical engine)
Combat Mission Series
Laser Squad Nemesis

Done, with the good ones I know of at least.

Also, post your laptops specs this will help us. For silent storm at least I highly doubt you've got less than a 600 mhz processor in that thing. And I know even an On board Intel GFX card can run it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:19:57 am by Dakorma »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:25:15 am »

JA2 with 1.13, damned better then vanilla.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:00:18 am »

As mentioned, the original FFT is awesome and Nippon Ichi is a treasure trove of tactical RPGs and variants.

The Warlords series, Age of Wonders games, and Lords of Magic are vaguely similar to HoMM in that they're TBS games with overland/combat modes, light city management, and the concept of heroes leading minions. Interestingly, all allow your goons to level up in some capacity, but don't have upgraded forms like HoMM.

Spoiler: Lords of Magic (click to show/hide)

Warlords and AoW are pretty well known, and I'm suddenly too lazy to go into detail on them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2