Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get Dwarves to Tie the Knot  (Read 1381 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
How to get Dwarves to Tie the Knot
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

...Perhaps I should rephrase that.

How do you get dwarves to go from "lover" to getting married? Is there a trick to it other than idling and patience?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Dwarves to Tie the Knot
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:17 pm »

One little thing: a 1x1 meeting zone.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »

As far as I understand, from the posts I have been reading.. Dwarves partying are more likely to become friends with eachother, thus more likely to bond.

Wait.. this sounds awfully familiar..

Anyway..
Put up a few statues in a room and make it a statue garden, this will increase the likelyhood of a party going on.
Also a dining hall will have the same effect.

edit: altough i could be wrong.. <_<
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:32:44 pm by Ultimuh »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:47 pm »

Dwarves tend to upgrade their relationships (or, presumably, form grudges) when in contact with each other. Finding excuses to get them near each other, such as the aforementioned small meeting halls or constant parties, is a good way to make your dwarves closer.

In terms of just two specific dwarves, you can lock them in a very small room for a bit to force them to interact; just repeat the process until they tie the knot. Having their places of work right next to each other might also help, but I'm not 100% certain of that and it's obviously not feasible at times. Unless they never get a chance to interact at all, they will tie the knot eventually, but you can drastically speed it up by ensuring they're near each other more often.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

Also, dwarves are not GLBT friendly.  When trying to encourage relationships, please ensure that they're of opposing genders.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:55 pm »

I've been placing the beds of lovers adjacent to each other, and giving them overlapping bedrooms, in the hopes that this will cause them to spend more time together than is usual for any two random Dwarves.  This also has the advantage of making it easier to move them to married quarters once they have gotten married.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:24 am »

Also, dwarves are not GLBT friendly.  When trying to encourage relationships, please ensure that they're of opposing genders.

Well, my last fort had two male miners apparently 'swept up in the joy of new romance' or something...  All three miners had the same first name, for confusion. 

A goblin ambush stopped that budding romance in its tracks, so I may have been mistaken, or there was an unexpected but politically correct bug occurrence...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:08:22 am »

if i get 2 migrants who are married, i assign one to a bedroom and the other gets assigned as well.
(this is usually how i discover they are married)
do they share a bed?
what about children?
i cannot assign them bedrooms.
do they require them?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:13 am »

if i get 2 migrants who are married, i assign one to a bedroom and the other gets assigned as well.
(this is usually how i discover they are married)
do they share a bed?
what about children?
i cannot assign them bedrooms.
do they require them?

If you have the latest version, you should be able to assign kids bedrooms. Babies don't really need them because they just hang off their mum's back all day, but you'd do well to assign them one when they're born so they'll have one when they grow up to be a kid and start needing them.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always