Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone fought a Roc yet?  (Read 4851 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone fought a Roc yet?
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »

From screenshots, it seems Toady added Rocs (giant bird megabeasts) with .31.19

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone fought a Roc yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:23:26 am »

From a few quick arena matches it appears that the only things capable of killing rocs are bronze colossi. They're just too freakin' big. The current megabeast pecking order seems to be:
1.Bronze Colossi
2.Rocs
3.Dragons
4.Hydras

What i want to know is if anyone has any screenshots of the 'giant nest' type lairs Rocs use.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:31 am »

From a few quick arena matches it appears that the only things capable of killing rocs are bronze colossi. They're just too freakin' big. The current megabeast pecking order seems to be:
1.Bronze Colossi
2.Rocs
3.Dragons
4.Hydras

What i want to know is if anyone has any screenshots of the 'giant nest' type lairs Rocs use.

How can their size make them harder to kill than dragons? They only grow to be 4/5 the size of a full-grown dragon, the same size as a bronze colossus.

Have you seen how (in)effective arrows and bolts are against rocs?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:24:50 am »

I fought one, but it was pretty underwhelming. It knocked me down, I got up, stabbed it a bunch, victory, etc. That could have been due to the year, though. (187) Maybe it just hadn't had time to grow to its full size?

Here's a picture of a nest. When I first got there, it was filled with roc eggs, and surrounded by the skeletons of elves. Pretty cool. This was taken after coming back, so the items are all scattered around randomly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:20:59 pm »

I fought one, but it was pretty underwhelming. It knocked me down, I got up, stabbed it a bunch, victory, etc. That could have been due to the year, though. (187) Maybe it just hadn't had time to grow to its full size?

Here's a picture of a nest. When I first got there, it was filled with roc eggs, and surrounded by the skeletons of elves. Pretty cool. This was taken after coming back, so the items are all scattered around randomly.

They grow to full size in 20 years, so you can check in legends.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »

How can their size make them harder to kill than dragons? They only grow to be 4/5 the size of a full-grown dragon, the same size as a bronze colossus.

There's your answer. Dragons take 1000 years to reach full size. In most cases a roc will be bigger than a dragon.

I must admit that my arena mode tests weren't very in-depth. I'll say that rocs should be the same 'rank' as dragons.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »

There's your answer. Dragons take 1000 years to reach full size. In most cases a roc will be bigger than a dragon.

I must admit that my arena mode tests weren't very in-depth. I'll say that rocs should be the same 'rank' as dragons.
IMHO, it should be dragon, bronze collosus, roc, hydra.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:49:01 am »

I just fought a Roc today. It broke my right hand, then I tossed my shield at it and shattered its skull.

Very quick fight.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:16:50 pm »

Rocs are just big birds.
Big normal animals shouldn't typically beat cool monsters like hydras and dragons very often imho.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »

No no no, this is just a big bird:

This is a Roc:

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »

What do a bunch of Canadians do when they see big bird in a forum post?

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

Apparently in one of my forts I embarked close to what used to be a Roc's nest, because I've gotten a couple of engravings of a Roc killing a guy, and then one engraving of some human killing the Roc.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?