Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extinct Goblins  (Read 854 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Extinct Goblins
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:19:40 pm »

In the new version, I am having an exceedingly hard time getting goblin civilizations that are not gone or in ruins by 300 or so years of world gen. (The only major change I make to world gen parameters is increasing the # of volcanoes.) Any idea what to do about this?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinct Goblins
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »

Magma > goblins, obviously. Or perhaps goblins can't start on mountains/volcanoes? Dwarves, from what I understand, need cold mountains, so perhaps similar restrictions apply to goblins.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

Make them more powerful? I haven't played the new version yet, i'm still waiting for the genesis one. 8) 8)
You could give them the ability
[LEARNQUICKLY] or something like that. You can even change the starting population too....i think. I'm not a modder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

Best idea is probably to mod their preferred sites.  If you have one mountain square on the map, the dwarves are going to have a tough time expanding and surviving.  Similarly, if you expand their available options by making them able to settle in forests and plains easily, then they'll flourish in these places.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:43:59 pm »

Maybe Goblins should not only depend on stealing. They should be able to eat berries from bushes and trees too. That way they wouldn't die that easy.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

I've had a hard time having dwarves survive in appreciable numbers, whereas goblins seem to do just fine.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.