Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90793 times)

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:11 pm »

Actually, they're pretty close to each other...
don't ask me what kind of keyboard that is casue I have no friggin' idea :P

Yes, was going to say they're right next to one another on my keyboard layout. Dvorak's great, all the vowels are under your left hand and all the most common consonants under your right, so you are alternating a lot of the time and don't have to move your fingers as much.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2011, 02:05:11 pm »

See thats one thing where me being new leaves me not so sure, is what critters will break through and what they won't.  I know they can't break down walls, but I assume they can take down a door, but am not sure, and know nothing about how fortified a hatch is.
Just build the walls really quickly and worry about making doorways later. It's not like you need to immediately have direct access into the cavern, seeing how you can deconstruct the walls and create an actual entrance when you do.

Also, I'm pretty sure nothing can be destroyed from underneath, so locked hatches should be impenetrable for anything trying to come out of the cavern (although once I had a group of deers charging down INTO the cavern... needless to say, no dwarf who was in the mine shaft at the moment survived the incident).
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:54 pm »

I just had an idea:
As soon as we are able to send our own caravans out, it should be also possible to send a mining team out of your normal map area. Build them a wagon, give them food and drinks for, let's say three months and picks. Then you tell them "Go to that map tile and try your luck!". Three months later they come back and you see what they have gathered. Maybe they got a shitload of iron ore, maybe only worthless orthoclase, or maybe they have been killed during the journey or while they've been mining
IMO this would solve the problem with lesser metals on your map pretty good. My current fort doesn't have much metal by now, but enough food and wood to send out three of those teams. ;D

What do you think about that guys? Good idea? Should those teams be directly controllable by the player?

IIRC that is planned. You will be able to send dwarves off-map to prospect for resources. That is not in game yet, but its one of the long term goals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

Actually, they're pretty close to each other...
don't ask me what kind of keyboard that is casue I have no friggin' idea :P

Yes, was going to say they're right next to one another on my keyboard layout. Dvorak's great, all the vowels are under your left hand and all the most common consonants under your right, so you are alternating a lot of the time and don't have to move your fingers as much.

I just googled ''gkeyboard'' (fail spelling :)) and I ended up on a Wikipedia article that just happened to have a picture of that :P pure coincidence.

btw: why does Chrome complain about ''googled'' not being proper English? Loyalty cascade anyone?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »

About caverns: Nothing besides things like the cave spiders really spawn at the start of the game (and they don't go pathing into your fort), so if you just make a beeline straight downwards on embark, I've never had any problems with cavern critters coming back up the hole before I've had a chance to wall off any accidental cavern breaches.  The dangerous critters that really hunt you down rarely spawn early off, and when digging straight down, odds are the only holes you make are in the ceiling at that. 

When you hit a cavern, make a stairwell next to that one (with an upstair rather than up/down stair to preserve the floor), channel the old stairs, and throw down a floor. 

If you somehow DO manage to get slaughtered in the ten seconds you'll be vulnerable to attack on your first couple game days of play... well, you've lost a couple days of playing that fort.  It's not like you lost much.  Start again, and hope the random number gods choose not to smite you this time.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »

A few cage/weapon traps render you immune to any of the nasties in the cavern, aside from FB's. AFAIK all cave creatures are vulnerable to traps. This includes giant cave spiders. A simple wooden cage trap will capture it safely.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 23, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »

ok, will try the tips out, because I got a lot of galena stacking up. 

So started a new game and after a little zig zagging (I always seem to hit the cavern layer in mid air), I was able to hit magma.  Actually, I missed it and then had to backtrack up and find it after I hit semi molten stone.  Wiki+tips here let me figure it out.  Currently smelting galena and tetrahedrite.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:42:30 am by Red Cossack »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:19 am »

When you hit a cavern, make a stairwell next to that one (with an upstair rather than up/down stair to preserve the floor), channel the old stairs, and throw down a floor. 

Actually, you can construct things on the tile if you just remove the up stairs with d->z, which is slightly safer than channeling.  After that's done, you can construct a floor OR an up staircase on that spot, since a constructed up staircase includes a solid floor.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:48 am »

Magma smelters and a Magma forge are up, now if I could find something besides silver and gold.  My plan was to trade these for iron, but none of the caravans coming have any iron, and very little steel items when they show so far.  I've made requests, will see how it goes.  1 dwarf and 2 human civs are only thing I see.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:20 pm »

Actually, you can construct things on the tile if you just remove the up stairs with d->z, which is slightly safer than channeling.  After that's done, you can construct a floor OR an up staircase on that spot, since a constructed up staircase includes a solid floor.

Hunh, that removes a step from the process, thanks.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »

Complaining about lack of iron is a bit silly really, there's plenty of goblinite.  The only reason I can think of is if you don't want to use traps against goblins cause they're overpowered.  But really when you think about it, your standard 2 or 3 steel legendary everything dwarves are a lot more powerful and easier to get then 100 stone traps.  So if you're worried about fighting gobbies without being overpowered, just don't use cage traps.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »

Hunh, that removes a step from the process, thanks.

Yeah, I prefer the up-stair method myself ever since someone else pointed it out.  However, by and large that's a lower priority than removing the upward ramps in your area of choice...especially now that the only option on most forts is either to wait until the caravan to get decent equipment/metals or dig down to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's even more important to secure your cavern space.

For example, in my current fort I have only galena (and plenty of gems and orthoclase...) which is nigh worthless unless I get the silver from it for war hammers.  So naturally I'm going for the blue stuff actively for the first time since 40d.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »

Complaining about lack of iron is a bit silly really, there's plenty of goblinite.  The only reason I can think of is if you don't want to use traps against goblins cause they're overpowered.  But really when you think about it, your standard 2 or 3 steel legendary everything dwarves are a lot more powerful and easier to get then 100 stone traps.  So if you're worried about fighting gobbies without being overpowered, just don't use cage traps.

I don't know, I've been getting a lot of copper from them rather than iron...this world seems extremely limited on the iron in general.

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 24, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »

Probably the weirdest thing is embarking and having pig iron available but not iron...

what?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

Probably the weirdest thing is embarking and having pig iron available but not iron...

what?

Or bronze and no copper.  It makes sense from an economic perspective because pig iron is a useful input for steel and so it's plausible the civilization converted all of its iron in to pig iron for steel production. 

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34