Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90810 times)

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

I've done relatively well with metals (in one case hematite, in another lots of garena to make money to import stuff), but where I am having my biggest crunch is fuel to smelt down the ores.  Unless i want to harvest the entire map for wood and make charcoal, I've had really bad luck in getting almost any lignite or coal.  Luck of the draw, but definitely a crunch in my production, especially since I need the fuel for playing around with the ceramics industry. 

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:01 pm »

I've done relatively well with metals (in one case hematite, in another lots of garena to make money to import stuff), but where I am having my biggest crunch is fuel to smelt down the ores.  Unless i want to harvest the entire map for wood and make charcoal, I've had really bad luck in getting almost any lignite or coal.  Luck of the draw, but definitely a crunch in my production, especially since I need the fuel for playing around with the ceramics industry. 

What is this 'Garena' of which you speak? :P

Also, use magma.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is a typo for Galena. And I've found magma pretty much necessary unless you are on a heavily wooded map and content with the bare minimum in metals. 
Memento Mori

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:49 pm »

yeah, I plan on moving to magma, but still new to the game, and worried about punching into cavern layers until I have a military.  I've been overrun with stuff a couple of times, and it wasn't pretty. 

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is a typo for Galena. And I've found magma pretty much necessary unless you are on a heavily wooded map and content with the bare minimum in metals. 

Look at your keyboard. Are 'R' and 'L' anywhere near each other?

And yeah, I know whatcha mean. I very rarely start using the furnaces or the forge until I hit magma now. Just ain't worth it.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:18 pm »

Wasn't a typo, just bad recall of the ore name from my memory.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:02 pm »

And yeah, I know whatcha mean. I very rarely start using the furnaces or the forge until I hit magma now. Just ain't worth it.

Actually, they're pretty close to each other...
don't ask me what kind of keyboard that is casue I have no friggin' idea :P

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »

That is... the weirdest keyboard I've ever seen...

I prefer QWERTY keyboards, personally.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »

Yeah, that's the only way typos can happen. Ever.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »

yeah, I plan on moving to magma, but still new to the game, and worried about punching into cavern layers until I have a military.  I've been overrun with stuff a couple of times, and it wasn't pretty.
I hear you, but if you dig down and promptly wall or floor off the caverns and go through solid rock I've found the risk to be pretty minimal.
Memento Mori

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

I hear you, but if you dig down and promptly wall or floor off the caverns and go through solid rock I've found the risk to be pretty minimal.

My usual tactic is to cordon off only a tiny portion at first.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »

My usual tactic is to cordon off only a tiny portion at first.

Could do it the incredibly safe way.  Build straight down using up/down stairs, place a hatch cover on it, wall off the stairs competly from all sides and corners, and then continue.  Lock any hatches you need to if a monster starts a'runnin'.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 23, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »

See thats one thing where me being new leaves me not so sure, is what critters will break through and what they won't.  I know they can't break down walls, but I assume they can take down a door, but am not sure, and know nothing about how fortified a hatch is.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

See thats one thing where me being new leaves me not so sure, is what critters will break through and what they won't.  I know they can't break down walls, but I assume they can take down a door, but am not sure, and know nothing about how fortified a hatch is.

Use really deep trenchs. With spikes at the bottom. Lots of spikes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:07 pm »

Actually, they're pretty close to each other...
don't ask me what kind of keyboard that is casue I have no friggin' idea :P

That's a Dvorak.

Some languages have worse keyboards.

It looks like you need around three Shift keys to get to everything. Kinda like the 48K Spectrum keyboard.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34