Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90837 times)

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2011, 05:02:06 pm »

My second embark in .19 has dolomite and hematite on the surface  :D

I had took a lot of digging before I could find any stone that wasn't either of those.

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2011, 06:36:42 pm »

Slightly off topic: I agree that we need an OPTION for a more detailed site finder because some people enjoy playing very specific sites.

I also think there should be a 'shuffle' option which gives you a completely random embark which you don't get to see beforehand. Have this represent the mountainhome pointing to a spot on the map saying "Build me a fortress!"

It would be Fun.

I would be even better in that case that the mountain home send supplies and give you an embark objective like "Take control of the area and build up a veteran army of 100 dwarves." Then once you complete that objective you get another random location and another objective.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »

Slightly off topic: I agree that we need an OPTION for a more detailed site finder because some people enjoy playing very specific sites.

I also think there should be a 'shuffle' option which gives you a completely random embark which you don't get to see beforehand. Have this represent the mountainhome pointing to a spot on the map saying "Build me a fortress!"

It would be Fun.

I would be even better in that case that the mountain home send supplies and give you an embark objective like "Take control of the area and build up a veteran army of 100 dwarves." Then once you complete that objective you get another random location and another objective.
Yeah little objectives like that would be interesting, but the random button would be super easy to implement I'd imagine.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »

I just used the new dfreveal on my test site, and I was really amazed to see nothing at all of value besides the spoilerite. Maybe its realistic to have basic rock and cheap gems all the way to the molten core, but dwarves are supposed to live in a glittering underground world of riches unseen by others. On one hand we are respecting this dwarven mystique by pretending that only dwarves can get deep enough to mine the spoilerite, but then we are throwing it away by making it the only thing down there. This won't do!

Rather than creating value by restricting the supply, I think it should be done with a dwarven cultural monopoly on the stuff that's deep down. The deeper you go you should find plenty of valueable stuff. This is definitely an overcorrection.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »

Once again, the current release is not final. This isn't how it's going to be even in the NEXT RELEASE as he works out some of the scarcity issues.

Also: If you choose to embark in a metal-poor region you won't find any...metal.

Wofii

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »

The only thing I don't like is that I know deep soil ect, but not HOW MANY layers there are. I don't care about the rock layers, I just look for what I want in it. I liked knowing what soil there is so I know that eg that there's Conglomerate after clay.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

Also: If you choose to embark in a metal-poor region you won't find any...metal.
There hardly seems to be much choice in the matter. Even if it says there are metals in the area you'll most likely end up with something relatively useless like silver or copper, or something totally useless like cinnabar. There just isn't enough information to make an educated choice, especially because the information that's there is often incorrect.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

It would be nice if the types of metal were listed on the embark, sort of like how it lists the type of stone. That way you could make an informed choice as to where you want to embark.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »

There hardly seems to be much choice in the matter. Even if it says there are metals in the area you'll most likely end up with something relatively useless like silver or copper, or something totally useless like cinnabar. There just isn't enough information to make an educated choice, especially because the information that's there is often incorrect.
I'm relatively certain that cinnabar and cobaltite showing up as 'metals' is a bug. Copper is hardly useless, it makes half decent weapons and armor. If you trade for tin, it can make very good equipment. If you rip some silver out of the ground you can make super expensive crafts and trade those for whatever metal you need. Obviously this is a problem because the trade system isn't where Toady wants it yet, but this will become easier to deal with as values are tweaked and the system is refined.

it would be nice if the types of metal were listed on the embark, sort of like how it lists the type of stone. That way you could make an informed choice as to where you want to embark.
Yeah this would be a nice option.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »

Cinnibar and cobaltite are metal ores, though.  They just are metal ores that aren't useful in-game without modding, that's all.

Which is odd, because you'd think cobaltite would be the first ore on the block to be turned into a glaze material, since there's nothing else that uses it, and it makes such pretty blues.  See: http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=592
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:45 pm »

Cinnibar and cobaltite are metal ores, though.  They just are metal ores that aren't useful in-game without modding, that's all.

Which is odd, because you'd think cobaltite would be the first ore on the block to be turned into a glaze material, since there's nothing else that uses it, and it makes such pretty blues.  See: http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=592
Perhaps this represents a plan on Toady's part to turn them into usable ores.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:02 pm »

There is something in a raws about cinnibar making a vermillion dye which is presumably not implemented yet.
Memento Mori

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2011, 10:56:34 pm »

On what makes glazes, I go with what Gazz has said in the past in this thread.

Basically, you want to smelt a metal bar, then grind it down into a powder, not use a raw ore, and you shouldn't use an entire metal bar's worth of metal for a single pot, anyway.

Still, you'd come up with something like this:

Iron: rust red, although you can get various kinds of brown, orange, or yellow depending on if you make the iron impure enough with soils or clays
Copper: Green (like an old penny or the Statue of Liberty)
Manganese (smelted from magnetite or pyrolusite): purple or black
Lead: red
Cobalt: Cobalt blue
Tin or Zircon (comes with the tin): White
Gold: yellow (well, gold, at least.  It doesn't get a patina or change colors due to oxidation)
Silver: silver
Wood/ash: dull green

When I get around to it, I'm going to make a mod where you use powders of metals for glazes, instead of just using the metals or ores directly, and the powdering produces a bag full of 10 pigments, not just one use, and all those will be incorporated.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2011, 01:22:02 am »

When I get around to it, I'm going to make a mod where you use powders of metals for glazes, instead of just using the metals or ores directly, and the powdering produces a bag full of 10 pigments, not just one use, and all those will be incorporated.

If you can get that to work, I'd love to know how. I think I'm hopeless with modding reactions, but I keep trying.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:54 am »

There is something in a raws about cinnibar making a vermillion dye which is presumably not implemented yet.

A use for microcline?

Also, radioactive pottery glaze sounds like a fun trade good for elves.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34