Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90800 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2011, 06:24:39 am »

Copper weapons and armour do better then you might think, especialy against unarmed goblins from cage traps.  ;) So am I right in assuming that while I was lucky enough to not only get a metal as my 'secondary' stone (As opposed to layer stone) many of you got just some random junk stone?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2011, 06:32:17 am »

Copper weapons and armour do better then you might think, especialy against unarmed goblins from cage traps.  ;) So am I right in assuming that while I was lucky enough to not only get a metal as my 'secondary' stone (As opposed to layer stone) many of you got just some random junk stone?

Yeah, it seems that it count things like Cobaltite (and I've heard perhaps Cinnabar) in its list of metals to assign to each site.

Which I don't think anyone could say is nice.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2011, 06:35:17 am »

I'll go shift through the raws, see what defines something as a metal, rather then a stone in that case, and see if Toady included notes as to why things are as they are. He does that sometimes.

If there is a tag to define something like Cobaltite as a metal ore, I might be able to remove it, therefor assuring atleast one type of metal per site, right?
EDIT: Well they don't look very special, so maybe it is that any old rock can take up the slots for secondary stones.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:24 am »

Is there any way to increase the availability of metals?

This has pretty much scared me away from .19.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2011, 06:41:26 am »

Well, you could make metal veins much bigger, giving the feeling that your fortress is invested in a long term mining operation, as you slowly dig out a rather large vein, rather then just find and take as you please...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2011, 06:43:19 am »

I am not modboy, how make babby big vein
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:46 am »

Well, modlad Acanthus117, go into your raws files, find the text file called inorganic_stone_mineral.txt and you should be able to find the data for any ores you happen to like. There should be tags like [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100] or things similar to that. Change the 100 to a 2000 and you are set. Single massive veins to last a fortress for years.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2011, 06:46:58 am »

Many thanks.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:57 am »

You only option is to import chalk, limestone, dolomnite and marble. I assume you have access to coke?

I'm in the middle of a forest, and have a few guys running around with only furnace operator and wood burner enabled.
It won't do forever, but for now I have coke.

Oh, right. My bad.

The thing to remember about the new information display is that the old style listing of rock layers would not be particularly useful anymore. In the previous version a type of rock meant you would have every metal that could occur in the rock, here it means basically nothing. This system needs some work still but as I turned it over in my mind, the only thing I can think of would be to specify the particular metals "shallows iron" rather than "shallow metal". 
So what you mean is, I keep finding tetrahedrite, and very little other stone at all, because it is one of the few selected stones in my biome? Well I feel ok with this, atleast for now. It makes goblinite more important then ever.
As near as I can tell, areas with (whatever) metal have one metal ore, and areas with metals have two. So if you embark on an area with shallow metal and you find tetrahedrite, that's your metal. If you go for metals you might get tetrahdrite and, say, galena or magnetite but more than that will probably require embarking on a biome change. 
Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:01 am »

Copper weapons and armour do better then you might think, especialy against unarmed goblins from cage traps.  ;)
That's really not fair to say.  Newborn babies work well against unarmed goblins from cage traps.  Hell, even the crappy elves do good against a naked gobbo!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

I don't think rare metals is a problem.  It's obviously vital for trading and makes the game challenging in interesting new ways.

Not knowing what is in an embark on the other hand is.  Wanting to set up a fortress to mine iron, or platinum, or what have you, and not being able to find out if that is likely is just making the game frustrating, not fun.  Sure, you shouldn't be able to have iron and flux and platinum and gems etc. etc. but you should be able to ell what you have before you commit to the site.  After world gen embarking is the part of the game that takes the longest for me, it always lags on embark.  I don't want to have to sit through lag after lag as I abandon fortresses after making exploratory digs to find out if what I want is there.

If I just want more metals I can mod that in, but even then I can't tell if what I have modded in is actually there, unless I mod in cheater reactions too, and then the game is just boring.  Impossibly hard and stupidly easy should not be the only options.

I agree, the only real problem I have with the shift in metal availability is not knowing a little more precisely what metal I am embarking on.  It seems dwarves ought to be a bit more savvy about Geology, so the site finder ought to give a bit more information about what is available on the site ("ferrous metal", "precious metals", etc.).

Most of the other issues (lack of metal to trade for, early goblin sieges caused by bee hives being too valuable, etc.) I think will fix themselves as development continues.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:44 pm »

Cluster stones seem to be really rare now.It's not quite a metal, but has anyone actually seen kaolinite now that is good for something?
Memento Mori

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

Cluster stones seem to be really rare now.It's not quite a metal, but has anyone actually seen kaolinite now that is good for something?

No.  My recent starting civ has access to it, so I embarked with 100 kaolinite stones.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

Funny, my .18 fort that i had just before i started .19 had access to a very large band of that stuff. I've never seen it since.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2011, 12:21:30 am »

If metals need to be this rare for a functioning economy, it seems that what people need then is a more detailed site finder. Nobody has time to embark on something that has one or two small veins of metal, and everyone wants their site to be 'sitting on a gold mine' if you will. If you recognize that worlds genned do belong to the player, you can make metals rare and also make sure the player has plenty of it. The two goals do not have to be mutually exclusive.

It makes sense that if a civ wants to expand, it would do the prospecting it needs to do to decide on a promising site. It's ok for the site finder to represent hundreds of years of fictional prospecting.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34