Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90778 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #300 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

Currently over shallow metals and a flux layer. The shallow metals returned a lot of tetrahedrite, so copper for the army and silver for the caravans. The flux layer gave nothing, not even a lux stone. Why is there no flux in my flux layer?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:16 pm »

I read a post saying any mineral can count as a 'metal'. This means cinnabar, cobaltite and even gems are possible results from the "so what metal is this?" dice roll.

Seriously? Okay, THAT is complete BS. I can accept having rarer metals so you have to rely on trade more, but finding yourself on essentially useless ground because you've been assigned things that are worth no more than basic stone? That's ridiculous!
It's a rough and incomplete release. As Toady did say, he's well aware of these issues and he has numerous possible solutions both short-term and mid-term. I have the odd feeling that when the full economy of the Caravan Arc is completed, anything might be possible with price fluctuations. I would not be surprised if one year in one world, cobaltite was more expensive than hematite whereas in another world, microcline is the hot stuff that royalty are paying riches to get access to. Such stories would be rare yes, but this all goes to say: let's hope Toady gives us those worldgen options soon and then see what he does with the main meat of the Caravan Arc.

I understand that it is rough and incomplete, but it's still ridiculous. Stone is never as valuable or highly needed as metal, more so since metal is now rare! So having stones included in the rolls of the dice that determines what metal you get is just pushing too far. It means that the new site finder isn't useful, since those metals it points out have a high chance to be something totally useless like cobaltite.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

jstead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »

I can't be bothered actually reading the thread but please tell me someone has readouts from prospector. Otherwise people are just basing this argument on anecdotal evidence.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 18, 2011, 08:15:36 pm »

I read a post saying any mineral can count as a 'metal'. This means cinnabar, cobaltite and even gems are possible results from the "so what metal is this?" dice roll.

Seriously? Okay, THAT is complete BS. I can accept having rarer metals so you have to rely on trade more, but finding yourself on essentially useless ground because you've been assigned things that are worth no more than basic stone? That's ridiculous!
It's a rough and incomplete release. As Toady did say, he's well aware of these issues and he has numerous possible solutions both short-term and mid-term. I have the odd feeling that when the full economy of the Caravan Arc is completed, anything might be possible with price fluctuations. I would not be surprised if one year in one world, cobaltite was more expensive than hematite whereas in another world, microcline is the hot stuff that royalty are paying riches to get access to. Such stories would be rare yes, but this all goes to say: let's hope Toady gives us those worldgen options soon and then see what he does with the main meat of the Caravan Arc.

I understand that it is rough and incomplete, but it's still ridiculous. Stone is never as valuable or highly needed as metal, more so since metal is now rare! So having stones included in the rolls of the dice that determines what metal you get is just pushing too far. It means that the new site finder isn't useful, since those metals it points out have a high chance to be something totally useless like cobaltite.
I was trying to make the current ridiculousness be a more amusing ridiculousness in an extrapolated scenario. It's unlikey some 'rare' stone will get as valueable as metal - at least not before the Army Arc when people will deliberately engineer the market that way by raids and such.

On a more pragmatic note, this "metal/mineral/gem" mixup is probably just a continuation of the bug that was introduced a few versions ago (or was it always in DF2010?). I'm talking about stockpile options thinking gems and such are also 'metal'. This incident just pushes that bug up on the priority list for stuff to fix.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »

Currently over shallow metals and a flux layer. The shallow metals returned a lot of tetrahedrite, so copper for the army and silver for the caravans. The flux layer gave nothing, not even a lux stone. Why is there no flux in my flux layer?

The layers are not in order. Look for marble.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

Has anyone seen coal yet?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

Has anyone seen coal yet?

Bituminous? I haven't seen that so far.

I have lignite though.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »

I meant anything that you can make coke from, so lignite counts. I've seen neither bituminous coal or lignite, but I haven't been messing with it too long.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »

I'm down into the last cavern, with a few spikes of blue metal showing, and still no marble... I would be very worryed were it not for the lack of iron.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 18, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »

If you're on a 20 deep map, you probably won't find metal anyways.  Shallow maps are very metal-poor, from everything that I've heard.  Either go deeper or make fewer caverns.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2011, 09:57:16 pm »

If you're on a 20 deep map, you probably won't find metal anyways.  Shallow maps are very metal-poor, from everything that I've heard.  Either go deeper or make fewer caverns.
It's interesting you have seen this, because I have had the exact opposite experience.
Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »

I said "heard" because I haven't tested it.  I've only heard the research reports of strip-miners who play shallow maps not finding anything.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2011, 10:35:37 pm »

I'm down into the last cavern, with a few spikes of blue metal showing, and still no marble... I would be very worryed were it not for the lack of iron.

You only option is to import chalk, limestone, dolomnite and marble. I assume you have access to coke?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 18, 2011, 10:56:01 pm »

I said "heard" because I haven't tested it.  I've only heard the research reports of strip-miners who play shallow maps not finding anything.
I've tested a half dozen and played one and I've always found abundance surface metal if it said surface metal.  ???
Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 19, 2011, 12:02:50 am »

Shallow MAPS, not shallow metals.  People who play the maps that are only 30 levels deep, seem to have trouble finding metal...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34