Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90783 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:44 pm »

Regarding the fighting that has taken place upthread, people should relax and not fight with each other when we are the source of your grievances.  As I acknowledged in the release notes, this is a problem.  The release was split because it was delayed and needed to be aired out.  I cleaned up a lot of the loose (split?) ends, but I only thought of this one at the last moment, so I mentioned it in the notes and plan to sort it out during this bugfix period.  Once we have trade, some assurance that a reasonable amount of ore is being brought to the surface in world gen and better local mineral veins, I imagine it'll be less of a problem, but we don't have any of those things yet.  Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.  As people have mentioned, an over-abundance of metals will essentially remove that element of the economy (and warfare etc etc), but not everybody is going to be playing for those reasons.  Worlds with some variation in metal distribution will be the ones that receive the most attention over the long term, though.

All I have to say is thanks for the feedback. Oh, and for making furniture bees possible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

Reminds me of the gourd scene in Life of Brian :) Different branches of faiths all struggling to be Rightful.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »

Ha! I love Life of Brian! The analogy is not wasted.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »

Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.

This makes me very happy.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »

If anything, I think this is cool. Go with a volcanoe site, and you get tons of gems, but have to trade for metals. Get a sedimentary site, and you can have all the metal you want...

but no masterwork talc rings adorned with hanging rods of jasper.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »

Does the fact that gems are now more prevalent in volcanic sites mean you can use that as an indicator of magma tubes? I've got deep metals, but so far have found nothing buy gems. And I'm not on a volcano. Does this mean a possible magma tube?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »

Cobaltite.

FFFFFFFFfffffffffff...
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »

Cobaltite.

FFFFFFFFfffffffffff...

Wait, does that count as one of the metals!?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

I read a post saying any mineral can count as a 'metal'. This means cinnabar, cobaltite and even gems are possible results from the "so what metal is this?" dice roll.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »

Does the fact that gems are now more prevalent in volcanic sites mean you can use that as an indicator of magma tubes? I've got deep metals, but so far have found nothing buy gems. And I'm not on a volcano. Does this mean a possible magma tube?

I'm not quite sure so this requires some testing. On my last volcanic site i was striking gems every 10 - 20 squares or so in my mining tunnels. Maybe gems are just much more common in volcanic rock.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:07 pm »

I read a post saying any mineral can count as a 'metal'. This means cinnabar, cobaltite and even gems are possible results from the "so what metal is this?" dice roll.

Seriously? Okay, THAT is complete BS. I can accept having rarer metals so you have to rely on trade more, but finding yourself on essentially useless ground because you've been assigned things that are worth no more than basic stone? That's ridiculous!
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:22 pm »

My latest shallow metals fort ended up with a healthy amount of Hematite and Limonite.  I also had...  I think it was Blue gems...  jelly opals, maybe?  Many more than I normally have, anyways.

EDIT:  I have had a massive problem with caravans bringing more animals though.  Three water buffalos on my last dwarven caravan took up basically their entire load, meaning I barely had anything else to buy...  Same problem for Human Caravans.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:37:26 pm by squeakyReaper »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

On site resource rarity doesn't matter assuming I can import stuff via a caravan.

If I tell tell the trade liaison I want iron and nothing else then I want more than four bars of iron in the caravan. I want the entire caravan loaded with iron bars. That would make trade very worthwhile. If the caravan is stopped that year due to a prolonged siege then you may be starved for resources.

It would be nice if trade agreements actually meant something. I don't mind paying whatever price they're demanding for the metal. 1000% base value? Bring it! As much as the caravan can possibly carry, I'll buy it all. Just make sure that the caravan is almost entirely iron. A few odds and ends mixed in is fine, so long as the vast majority of it is made up of the requested resource.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »

Seriously? Okay, THAT is complete BS. I can accept having rarer metals so you have to rely on trade more, but finding yourself on essentially useless ground because you've been assigned things that are worth no more than basic stone? That's ridiculous!
It's a rough and incomplete release. As Toady did say, he's well aware of these issues and he has numerous possible solutions both short-term and mid-term. I have the odd feeling that when the full economy of the Caravan Arc is completed, anything might be possible with price fluctuations. I would not be surprised if one year in one world, cobaltite was more expensive than hematite whereas in another world, microcline is the hot stuff that royalty are paying riches to get access to. Such stories would be rare yes, but this all goes to say: let's hope Toady gives us those worldgen options soon and then see what he does with the main meat of the Caravan Arc.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

I consider 31.19 to be a WIP anyways. Its an early release, released with the intention that bughunters (us) will find and let Toady know about the bugs, and so that way 31.20 or most likely 31.21 will be a stable release.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34