Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 88693 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

truth be told, i have yet to have a problem finding iron.

...but i can't find a single gem, and one of my farmers is sitting in my leatherworks demanding a cut one.

in my search for gems i have uncovered not one...but four magnetite clusters...and i'm sitting on multiple dolomite layers...so no clue what your problem is.

Huh. Most of the time I get more gems than ore.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2011, 11:22:05 am »

The only thing that's really bothering me about the new version is the fact that Dwarf Therapist doesn't work with it yet, but that would have happened anyway :)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2011, 11:24:41 am »

The only thing that's really bothering me about the new version is the fact that Dwarf Therapist doesn't work with it yet, but that would have happened anyway :)

Uhh... You should check the modding forum...

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »

The only issue I have with this release is that spoilerite is the most common metal. I've found two huge veins of it in the bottom cavern but I'm not digging it because that would be a little silly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »

I think the mineral changelog of the new version can be described thusly:

Where, in the .18 version, if the player were to ask a question "My, but what metals would I find on this site?" the game would answer "Take your pick!", in .19 the answer would be more elaborate: "Take your pick! And start digging, you lazy bastard!"

:)

But all in all, I think this is the right direction for the game to take. Once world economy begins proper, having all kinds of metal everywhere would kill metal trade before you could say "market oversaturation".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2011, 01:02:56 pm »

The only issue I have with this release is that spoilerite is the most common metal. I've found two huge veins of it in the bottom cavern but I'm not digging it because that would be a little silly.

I agree, from a gameplay perspective it's a bit odd that on most embark sites, it's going to be easier (if perhaps a bit risky) to outfit everyone in blue than it is to put them in steel, bronze, or even iron.   Hopefully when we get better caravans that will swing back the other way.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

...but imagine the fuss if THAT disappeared from almost every site, as it probably should (and probably will)...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »

You know, I'm just glad that the caravan arc started before the army arc.  Could you IMAGINE if we had the metal abundance with the army arc, and then were made metal-scarce a few months later with caravan arc?  As it stands, we're toughening up and adjusting to the loss of metal, so when army arc eventually happens we'll know how to start with a pile of dirt and a few rocks, and end up with dozens of steel troops ravishing the countryside.  On the other hand, if done in reverse order, I could imagine the complaints "How are we supposed to send out an army without nine pieces of masterful steel armor apiece?!"

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2011, 03:37:50 pm »

Heck, it'll even give more of a reason for launching invasions than just the fun of it - if you conquer a fort there's sure to be spoils, which should include plenty of metals. Leads to nice calculations about whether to attack the easy-but-poor targets or the hard-but-rich ones. If the value of other goods such as masterful roasts become reasonable in the future it might even be better to raid in some cases than to trade.

I'll still grumble about how 2/3 of the metal mysteriously evaporates when melted back down into bars, of course. Though perhaps not quite so much if it isn't my metal that's disappearing. :)

Nooodz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »

I am relatively new to this version, and to DF in general (started with .12), but i fully suppport the reduced availability of metals. I wouldn't like to be forced to return to .18 metal abundancy. If anything, there should be an option in the inits.

As for the reduced information... i agree that now players will just embark multiple times until they find what they want, creating unnecessary manual labor. Much like what i do to save several instances of my fortresses.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2011, 03:56:53 pm »

I'll still grumble about how 2/3 of the metal mysteriously evaporates when melted back down into bars, of course. Though perhaps not quite so much if it isn't my metal that's disappearing. :)
If it really bothers you, you can make a custom reaction that takes any metal thing and gives back a bar of the same metal, although it's indiscriminate so you'll need to use burrows to avoid smelting down the whole fort.  I've done this a few times, for armor and weapons, because furniture like statues and chairs gives back 1 bar anyways so no need to handle that.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2011, 04:07:15 pm »

Regarding the fighting that has taken place upthread, people should relax and not fight with each other when we are the source of your grievances.  As I acknowledged in the release notes, this is a problem.  The release was split because it was delayed and needed to be aired out.  I cleaned up a lot of the loose (split?) ends, but I only thought of this one at the last moment, so I mentioned it in the notes and plan to sort it out during this bugfix period.  Once we have trade, some assurance that a reasonable amount of ore is being brought to the surface in world gen and better local mineral veins, I imagine it'll be less of a problem, but we don't have any of those things yet.  Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.  As people have mentioned, an over-abundance of metals will essentially remove that element of the economy (and warfare etc etc), but not everybody is going to be playing for those reasons.  Worlds with some variation in metal distribution will be the ones that receive the most attention over the long term, though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »

Regarding the fighting that has taken place upthread, people should relax and not fight with each other when we are the source of your grievances.  As I acknowledged in the release notes, this is a problem.  The release was split because it was delayed and needed to be aired out.  I cleaned up a lot of the loose (split?) ends, but I only thought of this one at the last moment, so I mentioned it in the notes and plan to sort it out during this bugfix period.  Once we have trade, some assurance that a reasonable amount of ore is being brought to the surface in world gen and better local mineral veins, I imagine it'll be less of a problem, but we don't have any of those things yet.  Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.  As people have mentioned, an over-abundance of metals will essentially remove that element of the economy (and warfare etc etc), but not everybody is going to be playing for those reasons.  Worlds with some variation in metal distribution will be the ones that receive the most attention over the long term, though.

I've seen tons of games and there's always a forum fight when there are camps of people who want to play the game in different ways and fight each other in a bid to influence the coders.  So it's sad, but probably inevitable, and you're wise to stay above the fray.

That said, I'm very happy to hear that you're working on it and that we'll be able to play whichever way we want.  Hopefully that will quiet things a bit.

Until then, thank you for some interesting new things to weaponize.  It's a pity that eggs have proven resistant to weaponization so far, but nest boxes have proven unexpectedly interesting and I really hope that someone manages to make the "Dwarven baby hive" a reality :-)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2011, 04:21:28 pm »

Thank you so much for trying to give us some customization options in that matter!  :)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »

truth be told, i have yet to have a problem finding iron.

...but i can't find a single gem, and one of my farmers is sitting in my leatherworks demanding a cut one.

in my search for gems i have uncovered not one...but four magnetite clusters...and i'm sitting on multiple dolomite layers...so no clue what your problem is.

Gems are more frequent in volcanic areas, but sadly volcanic ares now have a low chance of iron. Really, my play style for .19 has gone from embarking on a volcano and powering my forges by the bowels of the earth to mass deforestation and making charcoal. If anything my anger was that my perfered play style was now next to pointless until the arc is somewhat complete. If you can start on a sed. embark, then the chances of iron are quite good.

Thanks for posting Toady, you honour us all.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34