Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90617 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »

Another modding solution that I think I'd find fun would be the additon of low quality ores that show up as normal stones.  You would then need to smelt a large pile of these just to get one bar.  I'm picturing a dwarven equivalent of the Copper Queen mine.

Can't you mod reactions that have a % chance to produce a product? You could have a "prospect stone" workshop that has a low percentage of producing a metal ore or gemstone.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2011, 02:16:17 pm »

I just undeleted my iron-rich .19 embark.. Where do I upload it for people to use? It has a bazillion iron, gold, marble, tetra, and tons of gems.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2011, 02:23:25 pm »

DFFD.

Ah.. thank you. Uploaded it here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3808

Only issue is lack of running water. :) I believe there's a river nearby but within range of the metals if you want to quit out and re-embark. Good luck!

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2011, 02:32:46 pm »

Hello, new to the forum but have been playing DF for a while (and searching in here every now and then).

My opinion on this metal issue is mostly "Like it!" Too much variety in a small space spoiled the realism for me. The current situation is not, at present, ideal, but I'm hoping (without evidence) that since it's part of the Caravan Arc that'll mean setting up regular trade caravans with other civs (or forts) to bring in sufficient supplies of what rare material they have for what rare material you have. However, we aren't there at present but I can live with that. At least it's no more "WHat's the point of anything other than steel?"

The only change I would like is for when you do find metal for it to be in a single large vein (or two). It doesn't have to be much more than three or four tiles wide, but should extend numerous z-levels. Then it'll be a great cheer to find, and I could start having realistic-looking mining operations, with vast stopes and multiple adits if it's on a mountainside instead of a few random tunnels snaking about.

Not found any coal yet. That's a problem; I'm rapidly getting through trees, and I don't want to have to dig down to the magma early in the game. Does "metal" in embark include coal?

Incidentally, my first discovery of "shallow metals" contained lots of haematite, and sphalerite when I went below the sedimentary rock.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »

I have a feeling the since caravans are geting love, we will soon start seeing the good old wagons and 10+ merchants in the waves soon.   Cause with the puny little animals, even an all metal caravan isn't much.
Nom nom nom

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

Hello, new to the forum but have been playing DF for a while (and searching in here every now and then).

Not found any coal yet. That's a problem; I'm rapidly getting through trees, and I don't want to have to dig down to the magma early in the game. Does "metal" in embark include coal?
Yes, but the odds of getting coal and iron together is something too depressingly remote to calculate. At this point the best advice I have is to embark on a forest and import lots of wood or make a beeline for the magma. If you wall off the caverns it isn't really dangerous, and a 100 or so steps down to the magma probably isn't farther than your dwarves are walking to get woods.
Memento Mori

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

Along the lines of "improved embark screen," there needs to be a way to check the availability of goods that civs have to offer when you choose a starting civ. That way, if you start on a gold mine, you know how to get access to iron.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »

Yes, but the odds of getting coal and iron together is something too depressingly remote to calculate. At this point the best advice I have is to embark on a forest and import lots of wood or make a beeline for the magma. If you wall off the caverns it isn't really dangerous, and a 100 or so steps down to the magma probably isn't farther than your dwarves are walking to get woods.

Yer, I think it's a shame we lack enough variety on most sites. Although I guess that might improve with the trading arc
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2011, 04:43:23 pm »

The original DF was a game that told you to go fuck yourself and then proceeded to moon you,it was very hard if i remember but that made beating it all the more challenging and rewarding in the end,we all miss the mental elephants and terrifying carp of boatmurdered days,maybe needs a slight tweak increase of metals but only slightly.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »

Goblinite will now be the #1 source of industry for all dwarven civs.  Wood industry is now up as well, since we're lacking coal.

The thought of this made me laugh, and I will do the same thing when it happens in the game. It's fun.
You misspelled Fun.

Why? Why do you need coal? We have friggen MAGMA SEAS which have long since rendered non-magma forges obsolete. Why, then would you....

Oh, wait, you need carbon for steel, don't you? Well you can all tell how successful I've been at ever starting a steel industry.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »

I've been trying to get a nice pocket region going for a while now (because I like pocket regions) but it seems nigh-impossible to get a good (read: One that you can survive at past the first ambush) embark site on those. It seems that this decrease in metal has crippled sites that aren't medium or higher.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »

I've been trying to get a nice pocket region going for a while now (because I like pocket regions) but it seems nigh-impossible to get a good (read: One that you can survive at past the first ambush) embark site on those. It seems that this decrease in metal has crippled sites that aren't medium or higher.
I've noticed this.  Large worlds are proven to cause FPS drop, so a small world is ideal for keeping FPS high, but at the same time small worlds means it's unlikely to find good metal.

As always, I'm eagerly awaiting any new fixes in future release, but in the meantime I'm enjoying my fort with invaders off and bees on!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54:47 pm »

Don't really need coal as urgently as we once did.  Why?  Underground trees, that's why.  Elf problems?  Dwarf the f up already.

Also you can find map sites with accessible metal without too much trouble.  They are more rare.  All that means is that there are fewer sites on the world map that make good conventional dwarf settlements.  In most cases you need to start near a mountain in order to get metal.  When you think about it, it makes sense.  All of this business with dwarves starting out on a beach next to a tropical jungle isn't really very in-character for dwarves, is it?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »

Don't really need coal as urgently as we once did.  Why?  Underground trees, that's why.  Elf problems?  Dwarf the f up already.

Also you can find map sites with accessible metal without too much trouble.  They are more rare.  All that means is that there are fewer sites on the world map that make good conventional dwarf settlements.  In most cases you need to start near a mountain in order to get metal.  When you think about it, it makes sense.  All of this business with dwarves starting out on a beach next to a tropical jungle isn't really very in-character for dwarves, is it?

Says you! Dwarves making a seaside fort, with massive glass windows on one side allowing you to gaze into the deep blue? Jungle forts, built like Aztec temples with war elephants? Those are all great!

This is the first time in a LONG time you have been so restricted on where you can go. It used to be that you could embark anywhere (pure mountains and pure oceans notwithstanding) and it would be possible to survive and thrive, albeit with some places being far more difficult than others. Now, the scarcity of metal means that some places are IMPOSSIBLE for you to survive or thrive, unless you literally wall yourselves in.

I don't see how you can justify being straitjacketed to certain sites, just to get metal. Or it being nigh-impossible to get good metal sites on anything smaller than a medium world. Or how people have to suddenly embark with naught but one barrel of ale and a dog because for some reason nobody has copper, meaning they have to use tools that are three times as expensive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:03:19 pm by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34