Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90554 times)

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2011, 03:54:23 am »

Then go back to .18 and wait for the caravan arc to finish, so that trade will be fixed and some balance will be applied, and for the love of god don't get so upset when the alpha version of a game isn't to your liking.

This is not: "Oh, Toady made the game slightly harder, so now I shall complain like an elf."

This is: Toady has changed the player power scaling such that I am going to need to spend six to eight HOURS just to find a site that I can play for more than 2 years on. and six to eight hours is pretty much my entire availible playtime for a whole WEEK of real time. So this patch means that if I want to play with all the cool new things. (bees and eggs and jars, oh my!) I need to waste an inordinate amount of time to be able to do so. Time I am not going to commit to regenning worlds and site excavating and slogging through making fort after fort after fort just to find iron ore and coal on the same bloody map, when I could be enjoying my .18 forts.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 04:00:48 am »

I think it will be a good practice now to embark with some ores to make some metal for a small militia and to not risk the location being devoid of any valuable metal. You can hold pretty well for the first couple of years with two or three soldiers. If the location is really devoid of metal you should try another industry and trade for said metal in the future caravans. In two years you should have enough metal for a small squad, that can hold for more one or two years.

It looks like a very fun gaming experience to me. Not anymore you will have tons of every metal in existence in two years. You will haave to work with what you got; it will bring a reason for trading.

Please keep in mind that DF is a work in progress. The base for the caravan arc is laid out - now that resources are tracked, it may be very well that goblins will show up with only bone wapons in the future, provided their civ haven't got any acess to metal. It is just not implemented yet. If you can't bear to play an unfinished feature, go play other games and come back in a few months. Keep in mind you don't need to play Dwarf Fortress now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 04:01:59 am »

It's definitely a challenge, and that happens with incomplete releases.  As has been said, this is part of a larger change that will tamper with caravans and hopefully wagons and the return of economy.  I think mostly, Toady wanted to put out eggs and bees (perhaps because bees were part of the sponsorship and there was money behind the bees) and thus released an incomplete version mostly to show off these things.  The game goes through several major releases, like 40d and DF2010, but a lot of incomplete releases between those.  This is another little intermediate release and should really be seen as the beta version, where it's released and people get to hash out the bugs and quirks.

Also, you can always save worlds you like.  I keep a folder that contains the entire region folder that I like, copied before any embark, so that I have a fresh world where I know where the good stuff is.  Thus, just make a world, find a good spot, copy that world folder, and re-embark there on a fresh copy.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:49 am »

It shouldn't take 6 hours to find a nice embark, i just used the site finder set to multiple shallow and deep metals, flux and whatever else i needed and it took maybe 5 mins.
EDIT: however i haven't struck the earth yet because i have spent 6 hours looking at the preparation screen thinking about what to bring with me :s
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:04:34 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:39 am »

I don't mind the ore scarcity, but a few other changes to accommodate it would be nice.

1. Mandates and demands. In .18 it was pretty easy since I was swimming in ores. But now, if a noble asks for brass whatever it'll be a real pain.

2. Goblins. It would be kind of not cool if goblins showed up fully clad in iron and bronze when us dwarves can't even find a handful of the stuff.

3. Increase the value of gems. Finding a gem is hardly exciting when a bracelet carved out of common rock is more valuable than it.

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:57 am »

I mined almost 1K iron just getting my basic fortress laid out. Dunno what everyone's so whiny about. :) Where there is metal now, there is tons of it. Same for gems.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2011, 04:16:13 am »

Therein lies the issue here.  It seems to be finding the ore, and finding the right ore, as well as doing so within realistic Z depths.  Finding metal shouldn't be hard.  Finding iron ore might be hard.  Finding iron ore that occurs above the first cavern, may be very hard.  It would appear that exploratory mining is now very useful, so start planning out dig grids, and start pumping out crafts to buy ore and bars from caravans.  Yes, crafts now have some sort of purpose!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:37 am »

It shouldn't take 6 hours to find a nice embark, i just used the site finder set to multiple shallow and deep metals, flux and whatever else i needed and it took maybe 5 mins.
EDIT: however i haven't struck the earth yet because i have spent 6 hours looking at the preparation screen thinking about what to bring with me :s

Did you get any good metals? Iron, perhaps?

I think it will be a good practice now to embark with some ores to make some metal for a small militia and to not risk the location being devoid of any valuable metal. You can hold pretty well for the first couple of years with two or three soldiers. If the location is really devoid of metal you should try another industry and trade for said metal in the future caravans. In two years you should have enough metal for a small squad, that can hold for more one or two years.

It looks like a very fun gaming experience to me. Not anymore you will have tons of every metal in existence in two years. You will haave to work with what you got; it will bring a reason for trading.

Please keep in mind that DF is a work in progress. The base for the caravan arc is laid out - now that resources are tracked, it may be very well that goblins will show up with only bone wapons in the future, provided their civ haven't got any acess to metal. It is just not implemented yet. If you can't bear to play an unfinished feature, go play other games and come back in a few months. Keep in mind you don't need to play Dwarf Fortress now.

Goblins with bone weapons? Well, there goes my goblinite industry. I know that this is the base camp for the caravan arc but Toady has hardly given us any rope to climb with yet. I like how the game tracks stuff, i like the bees, i like the clay etc but its the underlying geology that is game breaking to some players as it is. Once the arc is finished, though, and we have access to a larger variety of metals, I think everyone will be happy.

I mined almost 1K iron just getting my basic fortress laid out. Dunno what everyone's so whiny about. :) Where there is metal now, there is tons of it. Same for gems.

What type of area are you embarking on?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2011, 04:23:56 am »

I just cruised around till I found one that said "shallow metalS" and "deep metalS." Turned out the metals were useful.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24:46 am »

I just cruised around till I found one that said "shallow metalS" and "deep metalS." Turned out the metals were useful.

Thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: Right, i've found lignite and magnetite in siltstone while embarking on a "shallow metalS". This seems the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:42:02 am by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2011, 04:28:54 am »

Did you get any good metals? Iron, perhaps?

i don't know i haven't embarked yet :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2011, 05:11:47 am »

I embarked on a site I found with sitefinder, criteria "multiple shallow metals" and "multiple deep metals" (and some other criteria). My fort is just started (14 dwarves total), but I have hit 7 veins of gold. Below gold levels there is multiple levels of marble, and then my main staircase accidentally hit roof of 1st cavern layer.

There I see several veins of malachite. Malachite everywhere, I suspect hundreds of ores worth. I also see perhaps tens of zircons embedded in the marble walls there. No iron ores yet in sight. I paused the game to post here.

If you want metals, you will find them if you embark on a site with multiple metals. If the site doesn't mention metals...I suspect you will find none. If it says metal in singular, I suspect it will only give you one type of metal.

Conclusion: make sure you embark on a site with multiple metals.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:14:13 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 05:20:27 am »

Seems like my first embark was a total fluke. Everything else is barren.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 05:35:33 am »

OMG, read release info
Minerals have been redistributed on the world map, though this might not be satisfying as I was expecting to get a bit farther with dwarf mode trade.
It is just alpha of new alpha version. And everybody can play .18.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 05:38:30 am »

Guh. Sounds a little bit too hardcore for me. Gonna wait for a "fixed" release with either more human amounts of iron and copper, either severely improved caravans. I like cage traps as much as the next noob, but it's just not very amusing making metric fucktons of them, steal the goblinite, and hope the traps will be reloaded on time ad nauseam until my soldiers are experienced enough to, say, duel a crundle each, and win.
Of course, the next best solution would be to lock the fortress out of the rest of the world then flood the surface with magma... if I had enough proper metal to make pump components.  >:(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34