Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90552 times)

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:45 am »

I had one with deep metals, and all I could find was some gold. Nothing else. Well I found a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know I'm going to have to get used to this, but I really miss not knowing what stone you're going to get. I wanted to make limestone pyramids in the desert but thats a pain in the ass. I already know all the damn layers and stones off the top of my head, now you go and throw all that knowledge away and just make everything a roll of the dice. I'm not gonna complain anymore though, I'm sure everything will fix it's self out eventually.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:41 am »

I'm betting on a "show layer types" option later.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2011, 01:40:19 am »

I had one with deep metals, and all I could find was some gold. Nothing else. Well I found a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know I'm going to have to get used to this, but I really miss not knowing what stone you're going to get. I wanted to make limestone pyramids in the desert but thats a pain in the ass. I already know all the damn layers and stones off the top of my head, now you go and throw all that knowledge away and just make everything a roll of the dice. I'm not gonna complain anymore though, I'm sure everything will fix it's self out eventually.

yeah, I'm still not getting much iron. I try what i think is a sed. embark and I get dirt and volcanic rock. It might take a while to master the new system. if thats even possible.

I'm betting on a "show layer types" option later.

That would be a good fix
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2011, 02:17:20 am »

just a thought, does different biodomes give different 'rolls' of the metalic dice, so to speak. If this is so then you could have a greater chance of getting the desired metal by embarking on bordering biodomes.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:41 am »

I like this feature. If you complain about "playability" it might just be that you've grown lazy, used as you are to a total abundance of gold, platinum and steel. You found gold? Mjeh. Platinum? Mjeh. Gems? Mjeh.

Trading for metal WILL be fixed in a later update. Until then each fortress will just have to adapt.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:06 am »

I'm loving these changes, really. Now every fortress has the possibility of being unique.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:21 am »

Enjoy your microcline tables being toppled in your meager dining hall during another tantrum spiral, because your a goblin ambush smashed apart your solders' leather armor while you were trying to open the gate to buy Just One More Bar of steel.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:53 am »

There is always goblinite...

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 03:04:12 am »

Enjoy your microcline tables being toppled in your meager dining hall during another tantrum spiral, because your a goblin ambush smashed apart your solders' leather armor while you were trying to open the gate to buy Just One More Bar of steel.

The thought of this made me laugh, and I will do the same thing when it happens in the game. It's fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 03:05:23 am »

Goblinite will now be the #1 source of industry for all dwarven civs.  Wood industry is now up as well, since we're lacking coal.

The thought of this made me laugh, and I will do the same thing when it happens in the game. It's fun.
You misspelled Fun.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 03:15:55 am »

I'm loving these changes, really. Now every fortress has the possibility of being unique.

"Got an ample supply of iron last time? Well, it's gold for you now. Can't make armour and weapons from gold? Well isn't that too bad..."

At least now cage and weapon traps are not as overpowered. You need that goblinite after all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 03:20:18 am »

Wait, how are they not overpowered?  Being able to take a goblin, strip its gear, equip your soldiers with that gear, and then kill that goblin with his own weapon, while very dwarfy, makes cages VERY powerful!

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 03:21:17 am »

There is always goblinite...

And how pray tell shall we get said iron? With our dainty little wooden elf spears?

Let me say of the scarcity update in the clearest possible terms: FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

For those psychotic masochists who want only to survive with wood or clay or whatever, let them  do their own self imposed challanges or mod out metals or whatever they want to do. I don't want to have to waste half an hour to an hour every embark trying to set up a fledgling fort only to discover that the random number god has decreed that I shall suffer his wrath and survive on BISMUTHINE as my only metal.

It is already a monumental challange to build a world with enough potential embark sites to get one that I want (haunted/terrifying, brook, trees, flux and iron) without having to worry that I will need to waste six or seven embarks trying to find one that has metal worth embarking on. God forbid I undergo the ordeal of having to regen the world if the first one doesn't work out.

Dwarf fortress is a game, and one that I have to play in the hour between when I come home from work and when I go to bed. The idea of having to waste as much as an entire work week just trying to find a site that I can build a fortress on and have the tiniest hope of surviving is something that does not appeal to me.

If we the players have to suffer arbitrary bullshit metal restrictions, then at least let them apply accros the board and have our raiders/siegers suffer the same metal shortages. Because nothing says "Fuck you player" more than having only copper (and no coal with which to smelt it) to hold off the marauding horde of goblins clad in iron plate and with 10 trolls along for fun.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 03:27:03 am »

Then go back to .18 and wait for the caravan arc to finish, so that trade will be fixed and some balance will be applied, and for the love of god don't get so upset when the alpha version of a game isn't to your liking.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:18 am »

Then go back to .18 and wait for the caravan arc to finish, so that trade will be fixed and some balance will be applied, and for the love of god don't get so upset when the alpha version of a game isn't to your liking.

I'm serriously considering doing this, going back to .18 i mean. It's only the bees and clay that I'm playing .19 for; and that's becoming tedious. Gods forbid what will happen if i manage to stick with a fort for more than a year until the goblins arrive. What we are currently doing is akin to forcing a civ of elves to embark on tundra. Elves like wood. Dwarves like metal. Players like long productive fun, not oh f%(k it FUN!
If Toady kept the old disupution of minerals but decreased their yeild, then I would think this reasonable and fun as well as FUN.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34