Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90543 times)

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »

Perliminary report of a flux 2x2 embark:

Strip mining:
First 3 layers soil (black sand, loamy sand, clay)
Next five layers dolominte (flux) laced with cherry opals.

Shaft mining:
Next 9 layers granite laced with green tourmalines
First and second cavern found within this layer.
From base of second cavern five layers of phyllite.
3 layers of diorite
7 layers of slate (3rd cavern)
one layer of quatzite
Then magma sea - walls of sea phyllite and gabbro.
One strand of Armok's beard.

No metal what so ever.

Generate a thicker world next time. The metal might have all been eaten by the caverns.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »

Doing a "shallow metals" map with sedimentary/flux...I just hit a gigantic amount of hematite and magnetite together.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »

How deep are these worlds where you're hitting metal, and how far below the surface are you finding shallow/deep metals?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:51 pm »

Mine is 87 layers deep and I have hit limonite in the limestone in the first layer under the soil. Also, apparently you can find ore in different rocks now, or 3-D veins can cross barriers. I am still finding limonite in the diorite under the limestone.
Memento Mori

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

I hit my first z level of magnetite on a shallow metal map on the third z level from where i struck the earth. There's a cavern on -5 and the magnetite continues until -7.
With my previous map I went 200 z levels down, found no caverns, and hit the magma sea where there was only adamantine.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »

How deep are these worlds where you're hitting metal, and how far below the surface are you finding shallow/deep metals?

I hit the hematite/magnetite starting on Z-level -3, so really, really close to the surface.  That being said, this is already a very shallow map since I hit the first caverns at -6 and its max depth is only 61 layers...it's also a desert so there isn't much elevation to work with either.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »

Realism would also demand that any ore mined would have to be processed several times, and that a cubic fuck-tonne of ore would yield one bar of metal.  Realism is importance, but takes second place to playability.  If your site is only Deep Metal and that metal happens to be bismuth, you're probably very well screwed, and won't know it until you dig way down.  The idea of prospecting to find your metals can force you to open caverns before you're ready, and end up with a dozen deadly blood FB in each cavern by the time you are ready.

Ores were richer and easier to access in the past; they require more input of time and energy nowadays because all the easy stuff has been harvested.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 11:04:27 pm »

I embarked on a site with Flux, surface metal and clay. I dug out a layer or so's worth of rock from each different type of rock I encountered on the way down. I dug out the following:

6173 Limestone
9013 Granite
10282 Diorite
4583 Gabbro
23 quarzite
21 slate
633 Phylite
780 Limonite.
169 cherry opals 
62 turqoise
24 pink garnets
106 black zircons
94 rubicelles

Basically, the limestone had a lot of cherry opals and limonite, but when it says metal, it means metal singular. The layers below had some gemstones but no veins of metal or other kinds of rock in them. No microcline, no kimberlite, no bauxite, no cobaltite.

Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »

If you use the site finder, it gives you options for shallow/deep metal, for "N/A" "Few" "Some" and "Many" or something like that.  It seems to imply that there is indeed one type of metal per listing.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »

This is a bit excessive as far as rarity is concerned, at minimum we need each embark to have a guaranteed either copper or iron, and a few others.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »

Copper, Tin, and Iron should be provided, tin debatable I suppose.  Preferably something precious as well like a few nuggets of platinum or gold.  The whole "one metal, per site, sometimes, is a bit... yeah."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »

It is possible to have multiple metals on a map, but probably not more than 2-3.
Memento Mori

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:16 pm »

I just found an embark with both "deep metalS" and "shallow metalS" listed.. Wish me luck.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »

Well you can survive with only copper or iron at a minimum, hell even silver is better than nothing but you would be screwed if you needed to make magma safe pumps when you need iron to make corkscrews and nickel or something to make pipes :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 11:28:35 pm »

From a gameplay  POV I am fine with this if traders bring about x5 more metal than they do now.  :P Is that moddable?
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34