Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90526 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 07:52:04 pm »

Just embark on a site that says Shallow Metal or Deep Metal and there'll be plenty of ore when you find it. This new release actually makes sense, and the existence of an economy is finally justifiable with some degree of resource scarcity.
So you have found metal?  What type and in what numbers?  Are these big veins of metal or scattered pockets?  Is there Dwarven Economy back or do you mean economy in general?
I've got a 3 z level cluster of more magnetite than I'd ever need for iron. I have so much metal I make it into everything. I've got magnetic pots, magnetic mugs, magnetic beehives..
I'm saying the economy in general makes sense for once. There's no reason for the mountainhomes to want to trade with you when they obviously can produce everything themselves.

I do personally dislike the lack of being told what type of metal you'll get too, though.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »

Just embark on a site that says Shallow Metal or Deep Metal and there'll be plenty of ore when you find it. This new release actually makes sense, and the existence of an economy is finally justifiable with some degree of resource scarcity.
So you have found metal?  What type and in what numbers?  Are these big veins of metal or scattered pockets?  Is there Dwarven Economy back or do you mean economy in general?
I've been testing it to a certain degree and these are my findings. Ore exists in abundance in areas where it says shallow metals (presumably deep too but I haven't done much with that yet). However, the diversity is very low. In my current shallow metals embark I have cut up about 6 z-levels of sandstone and found lots of native copper and tetrahedrite. No iron or coal. It seems sedimentary rock is no longer a guarantee of a cornucopia of coal and iron even if you could tell in advance what you are getting.  It seems something like my suggestions is already implemented.  :P

EDIT: Also, if it says shallow metal it probably means shallow metal. Not metals. I have done a couple of them and there seems to be one kind of metal in the upper z-levels.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:58:34 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

@Eoganachta

Yeah, I agree.  The issue right now is that we have the resource scarcity before the improved trade.  In the long run it'll definitely get better, but in the short term it might be a little rough.

I'm just genning worlds trying to find a good site with some iron. if I dont find any soon, I'll do something productive until Toady updates the game. I don't think the rough ride is worth it right now, although a clay fortress above ground sounds attractive.

I've been testing it to a certain degree and these are my findings. Ore exists in abundance in areas where it says shallow metals (presumably deep too but I haven't done much with that yet). However, the diversity is very low. In my current shallow metals embark I have cut up about 6 z-levels of sandstone and found lots of native copper and tetrahedrite. No iron or coal. It seems sedimentary rock is no longer a guarantee of a cornucopia of coal and iron even if you could tell in advance what you are getting.  It seems something like my suggestions is already implemented.  :P

EDIT: Also, if it says shallow metal it probably means shallow metal. Not metals. I have done a couple of them and there seems to be one kind of metal in the upper z-levels.

Thanks.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »

It looks like it's time for someone to bite the bullet and run a field test.  SPEED:0 and uncapped FPS on a 2x2 embark.  Mine out the entire map.  Review your finding.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:52 pm »

It looks like it's time for someone to bite the bullet and run a field test.  SPEED:0 and uncapped FPS on a 2x2 embark.  Mine out the entire map.  Review your finding.
I'll do a site with shallow metals, if somebody else wants to do deep metals or none we can avoid duplicated effort.  :)
Memento Mori

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »

At least the crowd that advocated for scarcer metals is happy. When people were complaining that metal was too abundant, few spoke in support.
Having only started playing in 31.16 and doing most of my forts in 31.18, I think:
A.) I like abundant metal ores, and
B.) I don't use them that much. This leads to
C.) I should either use metals more often or
D.) Try the new version sometime.

... :o :-\ 8)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »

Is anyone volunteering for deep metal dig-out?  If not, I can set myself up.  I'm still gonna wait for a graphic pack before I start really playing though.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »

Is anyone volunteering for deep metal dig-out?  If not, I can set myself up.  I'm still gonna wait for a graphic pack before I start really playing though.

I was going for deep metal but if you've already started then I'll go for flux only.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »

Nah, you're cool.  I'm halfway busy right now.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »

Personally, I'd be okay with metals being much scarcer and more valuable. That's realistic. But only if metal usage and recycling was made more realistic too. It makes no sense that 2/3 of the metal evaporates between being made into something and then melted back down into bars again. And that it takes the same amount of metal to make plate armor for one dwarf as it would take to make four statues of that same dwarf.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »

Just mined downwards:

1st cavern-no ore, no gems, just diorite and fungus
2nd cavern- pockets of rubicelle, mostly just gneiss and fungus
3rd cavern-no ore, no gems, just gabbro, and that damn fungus

The site had deep soil and an aquifer. If it doesn't say metal on the site finder, there won't be ANY.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »

I embarked on a shallow metals 3x3 and struck a massive run of limonite 5z levels deep. With flux and the magma sea at 45z, I'm set. Exploratory shafts and mining assessments are definitely required in order to get a handle on what kind of fort you're sitting on; I appreciate the realism. The density of mineral wealth on embarks in prior versions was highly unrealistic. For those who prefer that, though, it might do to request a mineral density control in world gen.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

Realism would also demand that any ore mined would have to be processed several times, and that a cubic fuck-tonne of ore would yield one bar of metal.  Realism is importance, but takes second place to playability.  If your site is only Deep Metal and that metal happens to be bismuth, you're probably very well screwed, and won't know it until you dig way down.  The idea of prospecting to find your metals can force you to open caverns before you're ready, and end up with a dozen deadly blood FB in each cavern by the time you are ready.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:49 pm »

My test isn't complete yet but the gist is pretty obvious. I've demolished layers of limestone on a shallow metals embark and found some gems and an unholy amount of limonite but no other metals. I'd say that you will get 1-2 metals types per site, maybe 4 on a really good one with deep and shallow metals. You do get those metals in pretty reasonable abundance though.
Memento Mori

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:55 pm »

Perliminary report of a flux 2x2 embark:

Strip mining:
First 3 layers soil (black sand, loamy sand, clay)
Next five layers dolominte (flux) laced with cherry opals.

Shaft mining:
Next 9 layers granite laced with green tourmalines
First and second cavern found within this layer.
From base of second cavern five layers of phyllite.
3 layers of diorite
7 layers of slate (3rd cavern)
one layer of quatzite
Then magma sea - walls of sea phyllite and gabbro.
One strand of Armok's beard.

No metal what so ever.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34