Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: Missing Metals  (Read 90531 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Metals
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:42 pm »

If we are going for realism, I suspect fewer but larger veins are in order. Might not be bad for gameplay either. But I'm no geologist.

I'd love to see a embark site with a singe vein of hematite 50 tiled wide and maybe a hundred long.

that's if you can find the hematite.
Right now, I'd even forgo my normal volcano embark for a limestone/iron embark.

At least the crowd that advocated for scarcer metals is happy. When people were complaining that metal was too abundant, few spoke in support.

What? When was this?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »

At least the crowd that advocated for scarcer metals is happy. When people were complaining that metal was too abundant, few spoke in support.

Now there's too few metals. And minerals. I don't want to waste wood by burning it just so I can work with clay in stuff. I'm used to only having to burn 1 piece of wood so I can start refining coal. (Unless I'm fertilizing my farm plots, but even then, I usually import potash.)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:35 pm »

Yeah, I always thought it was odd that you could pull almost every mineral ever discovered out of a 3x3 site but a single vein of hematite only produces enough iron to make maybe 10 full suits of armor. If minerals were more rare but big when you found them, trade in metals would have some purpose as you wouldn't have them all and exploring to see what you have could be fun rather than knowing you'll have every metal that can possibly occur in that type of stone. However, a big hematite lode with a few thousand iron in it would make you a famous iron industry and make it so the metal industry isn't just throttled for lack of material.  Might be more realistic, interesting and give forts more individual character. Maybe something for a mod? :P
Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »

If you could leave the fort I would agree, but as it stands it's fairly difficult to get anything specific not in your embark, especially in terms of metal.  Dwarves and Humans are the only civs that carry metal.  You can't control what humans bring, but only hope they bring that piece of gold for a noble's room, and dwarves have been a -little- buggy for me.  If you refuse to accept a baron, then you can't make requests of the merchant, the liaison just leaves and you get stuck with whatever the random traders bring.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

Has anyone done any reveals and counts to see what kind of scarcity we are actually looking at?
I'm really hoping we haven't gone so far as to make the blue stuff the most common metal on any given embark. ???
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 07:26:21 pm »

good thing i go straight for the cotton candy
LOSING IS FUN!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »

Has anyone done any reveals and counts to see what kind of scarcity we are actually looking at?
I'm really hoping we haven't gone so far as to make the blue stuff the most common metal on any given embark. ???
I would have, but there is no reveal hack out for the new version yet. I am currently going through and digging around in forts I abandon after a season or two to get a feel for it, but it is taking a while.  :-\
Memento Mori

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

What? When was this?

Suggestions forums, FotF thread, perhaps even DFtalk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »

I think that rarer but much larger (and multi z-level?) veins would be cool if we had more control over what we can get in trade. Perhaps if we could send out our own trade caravans to get resources form other sites...

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »

Remember that this is the first release of the Caravan arc.  More interesting trade is the goal in all of this, which probably explains this increased scarcity. 

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be a while before the arc is completed.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »

Remember that this is the first release of the Caravan arc.  More interesting trade is the goal in all of this, which probably explains this increased scarcity. 

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be a while before the arc is completed.

Maybe a slight cut in ore numbers before the more interesting trade I can understand, but not what i'm seeing. Maybe having areas of high iron but low gold, or high gold but low iron, would encourage trade via imports and exports but traders normally only bring a few samples of ore, nowhere near what I normally pull out of the ground.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »

Just embark on a site that says Shallow Metal or Deep Metal and there'll be plenty of ore when you find it. This new release actually makes sense, and the existence of an economy is finally justifiable with some degree of resource scarcity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »

Just embark on a site that says Shallow Metal or Deep Metal and there'll be plenty of ore when you find it. This new release actually makes sense, and the existence of an economy is finally justifiable with some degree of resource scarcity.
So you have found metal?  What type and in what numbers?  Are these big veins of metal or scattered pockets?  Is there Dwarven Economy back or do you mean economy in general?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 07:50:57 pm »

The main thing I hate now is not knowing what kind of rock I'm going to have.

In any case, HIGHLY RELEVANT RELEASE FORECAST:

-week or two of bugfixing
-more interesting towns
-week or two of bugfixing
-village schedules and something to do with farmers AND STUFF TO DO WITH 3D MINERAL VEINS

Toady's going to work on the mineral veins some more relatively soon. He'll probably make them bigger then.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »

@Eoganachta

Yeah, I agree.  The issue right now is that we have the resource scarcity before the improved trade.  In the long run it'll definitely get better, but in the short term it might be a little rough.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34