Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: New Features explanation  (Read 12572 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Features explanation
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »

If you've got info on the new features, please post it here. Better than everything spread out in a bunch of different threads.

Beekeeping:
Two new labors: Beekeeping under Farming/related and Wax Working under Crafts.
Hives are built in a Crafts workshop (from rock or wood), a Kiln (from clay), a Forge (from any metal, under Other Objects), or a Glass furnace (any glass).
Hives are currently the last entry in the (b)uild menu, Alt+h, and are placed by a beekeeper. Hives must be in or adjacent to an outdoor floor tile to be usable, fortifications do not work (even built ones from b-C-F that (k) as outside tiles), anything built above the hive does not negate outside access (definite bug, probably related to farms doing the same, don't expect it to work forever).
Empty hives spawn fill jobs, your beekeeper will grab either a wild colony and place it in the hive, or split one of your already collected ones if it's ready to be split.
(q)uery over a built hive gives the toggle options (c) Install colony when ready and (g) Gather from hive.
Toggle gathering to save a hive from gathering, it will then split to fill empty hives after an amount of time.

I haven't gotten to harvest a hive yet, so I can't tell past this.

Nests for egg laying are made by the same workshops as hives, and are built from the base build menu. Female tame birds will claim a nest for themselves to lay eggs in automatically, keep enough nests for all your female birds.

Please expand if you have more information.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Features explanation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »

Bees are hardy little things. I have a colony on a desert map.
Memento Mori

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:25 pm »

I've had wild animals claim nests as well.

Pots and Jugs can be made from pretty much any material as well, which makes me happy :3
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:16:07 pm »

I've had wild animals claim nests as well.

Pots and Jugs can be made from pretty much any material as well, which makes me happy :3
Interesting, do wild birds lay eggs to be harvested?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:30:15 pm »

Just had a hive harvest, takes a long time.
Products of a harvest are Royal Jelly (cooking ingredient, novice beekeeper harvested 1 per hive) and a wax honeycomb. No stockpile is taking the honeycomb, and attempting to queue a wax craft is coming up blank.
The hive is deconstructed once harvest is fully complete.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:46:56 pm »

I think you're supposed to turn the honeycomb into a "wax cake" before it can be crafted, but I'm not sure and if so I don't know how.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »

I think you're supposed to turn the honeycomb into a "wax cake" before it can be crafted, but I'm not sure and if so I don't know how.
Build a screw press, takes 2 mechanisms and has jobs regarding royal jelly and honeycombs.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »

Build a screw press, takes 2 mechanisms and has jobs regarding royal jelly and honeycombs.
The one building I haven't made yet...
Yup, "Press honey from honeycomb (h)", takes one jug and one honeycomb and produces the wax cake and a jug full of honey.

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:42 pm »

Question about eggs and nestboxes: my dwarves put a nest box in the food stockpile. When I try to place another box, it says I have none. The box is  not forbidden. I'm hoping that this means that it has fertilized eggs in it. Is that wishful thinking?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:57 pm »

Has anyone yet figured out what's necessary to make bee populations grow?
I haven't seen any of my hives go up in population on season change like I originally expected. Are the 'stack of x live bees' numbers just superfluous and they still split anyway, or what?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »

Populations grow to splitting size on their own, mine took atleast 2-3 seasons. I think the best way to do it is build atleast 10 hives and set them to not gather. From there, build 2x as many hives set to gather, and wait.
I think the split size is also the harvest size, but I'm not positive. All my split ready hives do show royal jelly and honeycomb inside the hive though.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »

I don't see the Beekeeping labor on the Embark screen.  Is it called something else?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:52:00 pm »

Seen reports that it's bugged and not showing on embark. My first wave had a bee keeper anyway, and even an untrained keeper can do a lot.

Max number of hives is 40, over that built and they ALL error that you have too many and production is reduced. <y guy stopped harvesting once I hit over 40 so production was definitely "reduced".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »

Also it looks like pots can store a huge number of plants...

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »

It may be that I've made some error, but the [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] tag does not seem to work with fortress mode at the moment.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8