Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: New Features explanation  (Read 12556 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: New Features explanation
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2011, 11:30:06 pm »

Bees do indeed nest on the sides of cliffs.

That is a honeybee colony and worker on the level above the water. The cliff goes up a further 4 levels. When do we get ropes to scale down cliffs for bee collection?

We're dwarves!  Dig a stairway down there :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:24 am »

They'll eventually stop starving.  I have water buffalo in the same predicament now and then.  They just don't immediately get full the moment they munch on a little grass like a dwarf would with food.  Every time they eat some grass it makes them less hungry by a certain amount.  A rabbit stops starving the first munch.  A water buffalo can degrass a 7x7 area before it is barely up above the hunger level again.

So yea, they'll stop starving as long as they have a steady supply of grass.  Just depending on the critter it can take awhile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 01:22:17 am »

That was interesting...
I embarked with 10 hens, and built 10 next boxes in a row. First 4 that laid eggs I forbid the stacks, totaling 45 eggs. Come time for hatching, 45 little chicks all mobbed their mommy hens.
A chick just died of suffocating in the mob, seems like 5 of more of them were on the same tile.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 01:24:46 am »

That was interesting...
I embarked with 10 hens, and built 10 next boxes in a row. First 4 that laid eggs I forbid the stacks, totaling 45 eggs. Come time for hatching, 45 little chicks all mobbed their mommy hens.
A chick just died of suffocating in the mob, seems like 5 of more of them were on the same tile.
Check your reports.
It probably got its lung pecked out or something. Animals get mean when they are around each other too much.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 01:28:54 am »

Bah, logical explanations, and here I was hoping he implemented dogpile-type suffocations.

Just goes to show, keep your nestboxes spaced out and away from walls.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:09 am »

Bah, logical explanations, and here I was hoping he implemented dogpile-type suffocations.

Just goes to show, keep your nestboxes spaced out and away from walls.

Corpses are off limits if we build a nestbox on a pedestal 10z-levels up, aren't they...

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »

Can't butcher the chicks dead from overcrowding.
But that's a really nice idea if we ever get to butcher corpses that die from more than just butchering and hunting. Really, really nice...

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »

Probably that is a pure coincidence but as far as I recall fortress mode butchering went really buggy at about the same time adventure mode butchering was introduced. Half a year later it still is.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:18 pm »

Are wild rabbits butcherable?  A bunch of their corpses are clogging up my stockpile and my butchers aren't doing anything with them.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 03:15:31 pm »

They may be too close to rotting to be butcherable.
How close are they to the butcher's shop, and are they on a refuse stockpile?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

Yes they were on a refuse pile.  I tried removing the stockpile but that didn't help.  They were recently killed.  Thing is, I've been butchering wild horses and elk without a problem.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 04:42:04 pm »

Are wild rabbits butcherable?  A bunch of their corpses are clogging up my stockpile and my butchers aren't doing anything with them.
They may be too small to be butchered.  Your butcher won't touch a body or body part that is too small to yield any meat or bone when butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »

The problem I have at the mo is mass chickens. They all pile on the same piles... I mean, I put all the hens on nests and all the chicks just sit next to them. 10 minutes later, they start pecking and clawing the crap out of eachother.

Good news is the dwarves were offering 200% on leather backpacks.

I have several hundred chicken leather backpacks.

Long live the birdsplosion! (I even added it to the wiki)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »

only things killed at butchershop or by hunting can be butchered
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2011, 05:56:06 pm »

only things killed at butchershop or by hunting can be butchered
That is incorrect. Wild animals will be butchered if their corpse is in a refuse stockpile near the shop, they are not rotting, and they are large enough to provide meat/bone.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8