Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: New Features explanation  (Read 12564 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: New Features explanation
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 04:00:49 am »

Mead is bugged, nothing satisfies the non-absorbent criteria for the reaction. Probably one of the fixes toady has planned for next release (which might be as soon as tomorrow or saturday, he did say there would be multiple bug fix releases between .19 and the next caravan milestone).

Mead is *NOT* bugged - or rather it's not the non-absorbent thing. The problem is dwarfs can't 'find' the honey to use it if it's in a stockpile.

First you have to set finished goods piles to not take tools (for some reason jugs count as tools, and jugs full of honey get stuffed in bins in the finished goods stockpile). Then you have to set the food stockpile to not accept honey. You probably also have to dump the jug full of honey out of the workshop too (don't forget to reclaim it).

Then you can make mead. I've tested it and it works. It's all kind of pointless though since you only get one honey per hive (and it takes forever to 'grow') and you need to put the hives outside (which can be anything from a minor to a major inconvenience) and on top of all that it's only worth 1 monies per unit (most dwarf made drinks are worth 2, whip wine is 3 and sunshine is 5).

Edit: actually they seem to find the honey jugs inside the screw press building ok, so it seems there's no need to dump them first.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:05:31 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 04:04:14 am »

What the hell is a non-absorbent barrel?
I've tried wooden pots, glazed earthware pots, normal barrels, jugs and even gold barrels and reaction is still in red (and yes i have honey in jugs)

I'm so tempted to remove [DOES_NOT_ABSORB] from this reaction...

I imagine it has something to do with earthenware, as it's raw has "[ABSORPTION:10]".

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:50 am »

BurnedToast: Thanks, the inability to make the reaction was bothering me for a while. But how did you figure it out?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 04:39:15 am »

I noticed that my honey kept getting stuck in the finished goods stockpile, so I stopped it from going there. I found that I could make it then, but only till they managed to shuffle it all into the food stockpile then I couldn't make it anymore so I stopped it from going there too. Then it worked.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 04:53:14 am »

Huh that's odd, I just had a grazing livestock animal die of starvation despite being in a large pasture zone. It ate all the grass immediately around itself and then didn't walk over to the other grass in the same zone. I had a workshop pretty much right next to it - is its pathfinding so stupid that it dies of starvation if it can't reach The One Grass Tile it wants to eat (because a building occupies it) instead of the tens of other tiles available to it?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:11 am »

Great, now the shearing is giving me grief. I asked a dorf to shear a Llama, but I can't process the wool. It keeps saying that there is no wool. Then I ask them to shear another creature (I have a ram with long wool waiting outside) and the game says there's no creature. WHAT.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:43 am »

are clay hives bugged? when i try to queue them at the kiln, it shows me a wierd screen that lists the reagents and products... I have clay in my stone stockpile...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:16:06 am by BaronBalloon »
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 05:18:16 am »

are clay hives bugged? when i try to queue them at the kiln, it shows me a wierd screen that lists the reagents and products... I have clay in my stone stockpile...

Got fuel?

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 05:26:29 am »

ah, i forget i had to process my wood into fuel.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 05:35:57 am »

Has anyone figured out how to get around the animal tug of war? My milker and weaver are fighting over a goat.  :-\
Some workaround may be to place animals in cages, one close to the farmer's workshop, one close to the loom, etc.
I've decided to build a farmer's workshop inside the pasture zone, and set ti to sheer and milk on repeat. That way, nobody will come and drag an unpenned animal away >_>.
If the animal is caged or restrained, what happens is that the dwarf assigned to milk releases the animal. Then the task to milk said animal gets implemented. At the same time the animal is released, there's an idle dwarf that gets tasked with putting said animal back into the cage/restraint. If the return-assignment dwarf is close enough to the animal, the milker will have the animal removed and said animal will be moved back to its original location. The milker then goes to the Farmer's Workshop, realizes that there's no animal to milk, then restarts the task. Which starts the cycle all over again.

The "Cancel task: Handling dangerous creature" spam I'm positive is related to that sequence as well, since there isn't a dwarf that was assigned to return that same animal to its cage/restraint. Or if there was one the dwarf didn't get there in time before the milker moved on to another task. (But that's just one of the sources of that spam, actually. If all of the animals are free-roaming, the milker is still assigned the animal until said milker gets a new task.)

I'm pretty sure that milking doesn't require animal hauling. I can't remember whether turning animal hauling off helped with that or not. Don't think it did, but my bug testing on it was a few months back. It's worth a shot either way, I suppose.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:37 am »

Are the goblins a lot tougher? I just had my fort of 40 attack a goblin ambush party of 5 axegoblins and one hammerer. One of my dwarfs had 7 wardogs.

21 dead dwarfs, 6 dead wardogs, 33 dead cattle, and a dead axegoblin later, I'm scrambling to put up hatchcovers/floodgates so my fortress isn't entirely killed off. Now they're just sitting there behind a lake, waiting for the human caravan to kill. I think the hammerer is about to blink.
^and an elf merchant, and my pet llama.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:54:55 am by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:52 pm »

Goblins seem about the same to me.

Do you just have less armor due to having less metal or something?

Tahkayun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »

^and my pet elf merchant, and my pet llama.

Fixed.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »

7 sheep wool spins into only 1 yarn? seems a bit inefficient?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 07:36:57 pm »

When it comes to grazing, each animal has a differently sized diet.
For instance, Sheep and pigs have grazer:1000 or so, while cows have about 100. The relative size of animals is important when choosing pasture zones, and extra room never hurts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8