Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: New Features explanation  (Read 12568 times)

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Features explanation
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:26 pm »

I thought large pot were supposed to act like barrels. They seem to do nothing for me. They just sit at the kiln.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:41 pm »

Pots do act like barrels.  At least this granite pot I made.  It's holding two and a half pages full of plants.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »

I thought large pot were supposed to act like barrels. They seem to do nothing for me. They just sit at the kiln.
Agreed with this. I have like 30 Magnetite pots that haven't been used, disappointing.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 11:18:23 pm »

Pots seem to be bugged, they either sit empty or get filled with 400+ weight worth of plants.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 12:58:10 pm »

Pots and Jugs, both rock and clay, can be glazed with ash. This does not consume the entire ash pile, so one bar of ash should glaze a lot of pots. Guessing 150, as lack of bars for metalcrafting error out as "need: 150 iron bar".

Trying to get eggs to hatch, found another post that says to forbid them. Guessing we have to forbid them in the nests.
Edit: Yup, watch your nests and forbid when you see eggs in them. Hopefully one of the future releases will have a toggle somewhere so we can turn off egg collecting (ideally as a per nest option).
Eggs take roughly one season to hatch, and you get one chick per egg.
Next to test, see if collected eggs will hatch if I dump them somewhere else.

Anyone else got some info to share?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:15:10 pm by Neowulf »

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:07 pm »

Eggs I dumped on the bare floor disappeared, looks like vermin had a nice meal of 12 turkey eggs.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »

I collected 12 eggs from a wild duck and now the nest is claimed by a buzzard. Will birds hatched from the eggs automatically become tame?

[If yes - what could it mean for Cave Swallow People who reportedly go to nest in your boxes?]

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »

i dont suppose bees can get through grates or bars?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »

Collected eggs won't hatch, they have to be left in the nest. Don't know if uncollected wild eggs hatch as tame or not, haven't had any wild birds in my two forts yet.

Hives act like farm plots, if the square it is in was outdoors at any time, no matter what you build above it it's still outdoors. So yes, gratez and bars above does work, so does just a normal floor.
Unfortunately they can't pass through fortifications, so building them under a dug out hill and protecting them with fortifications doesn't work.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:43 pm »

Do bees have to have access to the surface, or will the cavern flora do?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »

Do bees have to have access to the surface, or will the cavern flora do?
I really don't think either is necessary.
I've had bees in the desert flourish, though for my own beehives I eventually opted to dig out an accessible underground area filled with grasses.
Bees are hardy creatures, sometimes they'll even build a hive on a frozen river, and when the river melts they'll just keep sauntering around with their floating beehive in the middle of a desert with no plants for miles.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »

I guess the real question I want to ask is there a way to have bee hives and not be swinging in the wind?

The only reason I avoided fishing for so long was I had to send people out into the open. I think I've found a way to get around that I'm happy with. I just never like the concept of expendable people I had to live with if I wanted to fish.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

As far as I know you need them to be outside (or have at least one side of the hive touching an outside square, I'm not sure if diagonals count). You can probably roof/wall them in, but I don't think mining/channeling an opening to the outside sunlight is enough if the square was originally underground.

Oh, and always arm your fishermen (and now bee-keepers). It makes for a good mental image. A slightly drunk fisherman wandering around the rivers and streams, whistling, while holding a gleaming bronze pickaxe in case the carp get uppity. Or an intoxicated bee-keeper, clad head to toe in a white bee-keepers suit, swinging a steel battle-axe at every little insect and goblin he sees that's messing with his hives.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:25:54 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:00 pm »

I guess the real question I want to ask is there a way to have bee hives and not be swinging in the wind?

The only reason I avoided fishing for so long was I had to send people out into the open. I think I've found a way to get around that I'm happy with. I just never like the concept of expendable people I had to live with if I wanted to fish.
I usually build a walled off area with a covered stairway coming up from the rest of the base for my outdoor farms and whatnot.

Has anyone tried harvesting bumblebees? I just noticed one of my dwarfs has a preference for bumblebee mead.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:30:40 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:07 pm »

i had an underground hive, channeled the floor above it so it was exposed to the air and it counted as having access.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8