Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help wanted!  (Read 1108 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Help wanted!
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »

First of all, watch THIS video, it will explain the problem and why would be very nice of you to do.

Secondly, if you want more information go here: http://www.askacapper.com/petition
And the petition itslef can be found here: http://www.petitiononline.com/cu5t0m/petition.html

Right to clarify things a bit.It's a petition to enable remapping of contrlos on controllers, now this isn't just switching a few preset schemes this is to enable completeley changing the layout.The guy that is running this pettition is paralyzed and can play only using his mouth.Now this wouldn't help just him but others like him and it would really be nice to bring back something that used to be standard practice in games a few years back.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:50:34 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »

Hehehe... controllers.... :3

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

Nice, thanks for the heads up..signed
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:03:05 pm »

Woah, hell, he's way better than me at CoD.

I'll sign it.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »

Quick thought- could you put a bit of an explanation of the petition/issue surrounding it in the OP? I know it's just a click or two away, but still. For every link I have to follow to get any information about an issue, my enthusiasm is halved. You'll get more folks, trust me.

That said, yes, this is a definite thing that should happen... it's not difficult to implement key remapping, too, it's just something devs don't really think about.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »

You lost me at the end, where you hadn't explained what you were on about, and had linked to youtube instead. Also:

the pettition itslef
Shadowlord disapproves -1
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:10 pm »

So how exactly does having the option to re-map the buttons on a controller help someone who plays with his mouth?   What about those who have no function of their arms or legs at all?  What about those who are diagnosed with ADHD, should developers make their game to hold your hand the entire time (oh wait, they already do that).

Problem with this is once you've helped one group of disabled people, you've left out another group, and another, and so on.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »

Problem with this is once you've helped one group of disabled people, you've left out another group, and another, and so on.

How very compassionate.....either sign or not, why sell your slanted worldview here?
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:40 pm »

Really, you don't want to help this person because that would incite other needy people to ask for help?
And i see nothing wrong with his cause, if you were in need of help would you not try and get it any way you can?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »

Signed. Seems like a good cause.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »

Signed. Why on earth this is not supported in modern games already is odd, to be honest. Is it just developers being lazy or what?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:03 am »

I wonder if he can play Dwarf Fortress with his face.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:06 am »

So how exactly does having the option to re-map the buttons on a controller help someone who plays with his mouth?   What about those who have no function of their arms or legs at all?  What about those who are diagnosed with ADHD, should developers make their game to hold your hand the entire time (oh wait, they already do that).

Why wouldn't you want this? It's just convenient, even if you do have some strange prejudice against disabled people...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.