Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: "What's new in .19?" - New version questions  (Read 14872 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: "What's new in .19?" - New version questions
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 05:26:10 pm »

I have two words for you people.

WAR.

RHINOCEROS.

Edit: Also war giraffes. ^ ^
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:31:27 pm by Ironhand »

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

But what about war llama?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »

Llamas are peaceful, loving creatures.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look at that walm, loving creature! It would never hurt anything!

And that is because that is an alpaca.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:53 pm »

Alpacas are actually more territorial and violent than llamas.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2011, 08:38:41 pm »

on the vermin spawning, i've only done the cave spiders so far, but will test with various squirrels and such on my next embark, sometime later tonight (as soon as i finish my cave lobster men)

as for the cave spiders, my guess is they seem to be reproducing now, as i brought 5 male and 5 female and wound up with dozens of cave spider corpses around my wagon (very shortly after embark mind you, still digging the initial 'store stuff here' area, so no cavern access yet, at the time) thanks to the cats. but, vermin can teleport, so they may have just been attracting others up through the unvisited layers of stone and soil.

if i can, i'll bring some rhino lizards to a non savage area, fluffy wamblers to a non good, or demon rats to a non evil, and see if more show up

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »

I've done a bit of early experimenting with the grass alt-tiles, and it's weird. In some instances it seems to default to not using them. I saw somebody say that the colour tags specified only normal, dry and dead grass; does this mean we can't make technicolour grasses?

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »

I've done a bit of early experimenting with the grass alt-tiles, and it's weird. In some instances it seems to default to not using them. I saw somebody say that the colour tags specified only normal, dry and dead grass; does this mean we can't make technicolour grasses?

From your statement of "some instances", I manage to believe it has had SOME success...
If so, correct me if not, the game seems to prefer default over modded, making it POSSIBLE, yet not very easy to make them ALWAYS appear.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:43 am »

Yeah at one point I got it working when I added a new plant that was just based on the blinking eyeballs. But when I changed over to an entirely new set of grasses, it made them all into boring default green specks, even if I accounted for all the biomes. Shrug.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:23 am »

Perhaps it's just because there are so many vanilla grasses that you'll need several modded grasses to make them noticeable.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2011, 02:09:18 am »

No, I could look at a tile and it would display the modded name but a normal green apostrophe or something, even (I'm pretty sure) when I'd modded all green plants out of the game. I suspect there's some default value somewhere. Or it could be to do with the reported bug where a tile stores multiple grass types, but only the first one on the list is displayed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:27 am »

VERY curious about changes to how vermin work. Cats killing off all the cave spiders has been  exceedingly annoying up 'till now. Is there a thread somewhere about this?

Open question: if you have e.g. a gray squirrel in a cage, will it attract red squirrels as well?  Will it attract orioles?

Heh. Made me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1bG6BIYlo
Pretty soon we'll have black-haired-white-skinned maidens showing up with hordes of fawning wildlife about them.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2011, 09:47:12 am »

Hmm, it's seems the new pasture zones can be used to keep cats that haven't adopted any one in a certain area. Like the food stock piles.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2011, 06:00:29 pm »

VERY curious about changes to how vermin work. Cats killing off all the cave spiders has been  exceedingly annoying up 'till now. Is there a thread somewhere about this?

sorry about the delay. heavy rain keeping me bundled up at home plus a severe lack of internet access at home slowed my posting down tremendously. ennyhoo, on to what i've discovered about spawning vermin

i embarked on a plain, boring wilderness setting, brought with me 2 fluffy wamblers, 2 demon rats (presumably a male and female of each of these two. one from each of the two listings each got), as well as 2 purring maggots (since they only get one listing) and 1 knuckleworm (to see if having only one still allows more to spawn). apparently my dwarves hadn't discovered any savage areas, so i was unable to bring rhino lizards. i also brought 2 cave spiders, for silk farming purposes

built a cage on the surface, set all the pet vermin in it, ignored it as dug down to find stone, build a stockpile, set up mason shop, and finally build the office for my broker/manager/bookkeeper. got him working, checked my stocks screen and saw several hundred listed under remains. about 50 each of cave spiders, fluffy wamblers, demon rats, and purring maggots. 20 something knuckleworms. as these were on the surface, i'm sure plenty had rotted away by the time i was able to check the stocks screen. plus, i had a metric ton of cave spider silk (having built a loom right next to the surface cage, turned off anything that wasn't spider silk related)

so, it seems the pet vermin *do* reproduce, now. or at least spawn more nearby, since i was getting tons of demon rats and fluffy wamblers in an embark with no good or evil biomes even nearby. sadly, i just realized while writing this post that worms are hermaphroditic, so the knuckleworm spawning more on its own doesn't have to mean just bringing one cave spider will cause more to spawn around it...i've still got testing to do

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »

how do you embark with vermin?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8