Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Money bees  (Read 9947 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Money bees
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:46 am »

Yes, a bee is generally considered a bug.
...Wait, that wasn't your question.

Actually, no, only insects of the order hemiptera are considered true bugs, though some would further restrict that name to the sub-order heteroptera.  Bees, wasps and ants all belong to the order hymenoptera, which is quite separate.

For those who have forgotten their Latin, hemiptera means "half wing", heteroptera means "different wing" and hymenoptera means "membrane wing."  Once you realize that the "ptera" part is from "pteron", which means wing, you can learn a few things you might not know about some other Latin-derived English words.  In other words, yeah, the name of that other thing is just "membrane".

This concludes your daily dose of pedantry and entomology.
Entomological etymology?
And for those who have further forgotten their Latin, those are all rooted from Greek. ;)
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Money bees
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:01 am »

And for those who have further forgotten their Latin, those are all rooted from Greek. ;)

That's what happens when you post at 4AM after reading about people trying to mod in Dwarven baby hives.
I can no longer find that post and I'm not completely sure I wasn't dreaming when I read it.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]