Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Money bees  (Read 9950 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Money bees
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:11 am »

hmmm....
It's possible to make dwarves immune to a particular poison isn't it?
just change the bee poison to make it really nasty(necrosis, paralysis, the whole hog) then use the above mentioned caged bees as the ultimate weapon.

imagine: a battlefield, dwarves fighting a horde of goblins and elves. dotted around the battlefield are cages.... suddenly they all open and swarms of stinging insects engulf the armies.

also; can bees be butchered once in a cage?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49:37 am »

I know nothing about modding, but bees are vermin and I am pretty sure they can't be butchered.
Memento Mori

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:35 am »

I would like to note that 10k bees weigh 99. Since DF measures in kilograms basically that means that a hive of bees weighs over 200 pounds.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:39 am »

Hmm, I wonder if pet value is on a caste level... I would hate to use an exploit, but I would hate to miss out of beeeeeeeeeeees, so maybe if I mod all workers to have 0 pet value, and upp the value of queens to compensate, the value of a hive would bee more predictable.

Doesn't work. See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3992
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

I am guessing this problem will solve itself once the value of things is more realistically modeled as part of the caravan arc.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:51 am »

I actually did some syndrome testing a while ago, and extreme levels of swelling will also cause necrosis (and extreme levels of numbness will cause sensory nerve damage) - thus, being stung by thousands of bees could very well be lethal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 11:38:11 am »

I wonder if a building destroyer destroying a nest will provoke the bees' anger?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 11:38:29 am »

I am guessing this problem will solve itself once the value of things is more realistically modeled as part of the caravan arc.
The root of the problem is that without a PETVALUE assigned in the raws, the game defaults to 1. Every bee in your beehives are counted as property of your fortress. Thus every single bee counts as a pet with a value of 1 making each hive easily worth 10k. As testing on that Mantis issues shows, you cannot set PETVALUE to 0.
The correct way to code it would be to default PETVALUE to 0 then assign it manually in the raws for each animal type. It's not going to solve itself as it can't be fixed in the raws at present.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 11:57:12 am »

Played around, and discovered that if your beekeeper gets frozen in place you can fix it by ordering the hive he is working with unbuilt. Once he starts moving you can cancel it.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »

this just happened in my fort:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

they seem to work on a random thingie just like cave spiders... that goose was frozen on a beehive for some reason
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:47:13 pm by EvilTwin »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »

Bees do seem to sting when they want to, so putting your hives away from high traffic should be advised.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:43 pm »

Yes, a bee is generally considered a bug.
...Wait, that wasn't your question.

Actually, no, only insects of the order hemiptera are considered true bugs, though some would further restrict that name to the sub-order heteroptera.  Bees, wasps and ants all belong to the order hymenoptera, which is quite separate.

For those who have forgotten their Latin, hemiptera means "half wing", heteroptera means "different wing" and hymenoptera means "membrane wing."  Once you realize that the "ptera" part is from "pteron", which means wing, you can learn a few things you might not know about some other Latin-derived English words.  In other words, yeah, the name of that other thing is just "membrane".

This concludes your daily dose of pedantry and entomology.
Entomological etymology?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 04:53:44 am »

Someone on the "what's new in .19" announced t hat they got bees to make furniture. I think wax coins should work for money-bees, yeah?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:40 am »

Actually, his method was a lot more broad than he gave himself credit for.  In his modding, he made the hive produce something specific.  In this case, was furniture.  More broadly, you could produce iron bars from behives, or featherwood beds, or adamantine beds!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:34 am »

Actually, his method was a lot more broad than he gave himself credit for.  In his modding, he made the hive produce something specific.  In this case, was furniture.  More broadly, you could produce iron bars from behives, or featherwood beds, or adamantine beds!

Pfft. Wax Mannequins! Statues! Mme Tosid's Museum.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5