Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 143

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 634302 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #1410 on: May 10, 2021, 04:23:23 pm »

Well... I'm pretty sure I accepted it once allready, and then a few months later unsubscribed to the mails. There might be cooldowns involved but maybe it's a thing that is worthwhile to do from time to time. Also I might just be mixing some things up.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 10, 2021, 05:00:32 pm »

Maybe it is still working to get your free Witcher 1 :
https://www.gog.com/gwent-welcome-bonus

It used to work (it's how i got mine long time ago, though at the time you needed to temporarly install gog galaxy and claim Gwent before getting the free Witcher 1, then you could uninstall both galaxy and qwent without problem after that)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:06:43 pm by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 12, 2021, 03:18:36 am »

I can't really complain about EGS. I own nearly 20 major game titles, for free on EGS since I installed it about a year ago.
Can't say Steam has donated me that many major games for free in, what, 10+ years?

If EGS had pre-paid wallet cards like Steam has, I would gladly buy a game or two on their platform just as a thank you for many hours of free gaming fun.

That's only cause to be suspicious of them. If you're not paying with your money, you're paying with something else.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 12, 2021, 03:59:37 am »

Bwah, it's not like Steam doesn't grab my data.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 12, 2021, 05:08:16 am »

No, but we don't pretend that is a virtue
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:03 pm »

With Steam being nearly a monopoly, if a competitor wants to succeed they need to hit hard.

That's what Epic has been doing with the "a free game each week" program , investing a lot of money by paying those games publishers to get the right to give them  as a weekly freebie, but in the end winning a lot of new potential customers, enough for making more money than spent even if most potential customers will not buy anything and are only in for the freebies.

Looking at the numbers, this practice works great for them :
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22380895/epic-games-store-afford-give-away-17-5-billion-free-games

(without even counting the Fortnite ever growing base, thanks to more people getting on their store, that make Epic billions of cash)
And of course it works totally for the people claiming those freebies as they're usually rather high quality titles for free, additionally in the long term it's also good if Epic grow as Valve/Steam will not be a near monopoly anymore, so they'll all be forced to find new attractive way to bring customer to them, prices reduced, more freebie etc...

Hopefully Gog will still be there for those tasty no DRM installers.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 12, 2021, 05:55:17 pm »

So, I'm confused.

Does this mean it's okay to mention Epic's freebies here, or does that risk kicking off another long discussion on the kinds of business practices Epic Games engages in?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 12, 2021, 05:56:00 pm »

It's okay to do that, there's no risk though, since it seems to be pretty much a guarantee.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 12, 2021, 07:42:55 pm »

With all the steam stuff that is mentionned without kicking off long discussions about valve business practices i guess it's totally safe to mention the epic freebies.
(especially with the existence of Legendary i mentionned in a previous post you have an open source alternative to installing the Epic Launcher if you don't trust it)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1419 on: May 12, 2021, 11:53:54 pm »

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2021, 10:08:46 am »

The free game this week on the epic store is "The Lion's Song" , it's a mix between visual novel and point&click with retro graphics (that at least are very nicely animated actually) set in the early 1900 in Austria, it's made of a few episodes with different main characters that apparently impact each other episodes until the game conclusion.

The title epic will have free next week is labelled "mystery game" with the name will be revealed in 4 or 5 days. So i guess they're trying to build some hype around their next free offer (as usually they always show which game will be free for the next week), hopefully it's going to be a good one.

(remember Legendary is a legal and open source very good alternative to the Epic Launcher, with a front end like Rare but make sure you read the instructions to get everything working as it's not as easy as a "one click installer", from my playtime with it, it works fantastic and is so much less ressource intensive than any launcher are)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 17, 2021, 12:24:37 pm »

Thanks to DemonOfWrath mentionning it in another thread , there's a free modern (it's on the unreal engine 4) remake of the oldie RTS " Lego Rock Raiders " named Manic Miners :
https://baraklava.itch.io/manic-miners

Note : if once ingame (not in the menu) you have bad performance with the (latest) version even on "potato" settings, there are 2 solutions :

-you can launch the game by adding
Code: [Select]
-dx11in the "Target line" of a shortcut to the ManicMiner.exe (as by default the game run on dx12) , it should make the game running much faster.

-download the (legacy version) , as it supports more render variants (but may not be as updated as latest version) you can test :
Code: [Select]
-dx11
-dx10
-opengl
-opengl3
-opengl4
-vulkan
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:33:35 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 17, 2021, 01:30:16 pm »

Until the May 20th, Gog gives away again (they did it already last year)  "The witcher goodies collection" (tons of music of all the witchers games, lot of artwork, comic book, the concert...) . Worth it if you missed it last year.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 21, 2021, 04:23:35 am »

this week on the epic store, it's NBA 2k21 that is free to claim.

For more fun, the ludum dare 48 event happened and as usual there are tons of games that have been submitted, 3957 !
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/48/$233336/results-for-ludum-dare-48

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 27, 2021, 12:15:54 pm »

this week on the epic store they're giving away "Among Us" , so much for those "mystery" give away hype.

While i have no care at all about this kind of social/multiplayer only games, i guess it could interest some people if its community hasn't died out, as i remember this having got some kind of popularity at some point.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 143