Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Data on trade and how it leads to war?  (Read 1789 times)

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Data on trade and how it leads to war?
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:16 am »

So, my Dwarves are starving and have gone without booze for a long period of time. How this came to be isn't important, but I will say it involves most of my fortress being under water and a Kobold that knows how to swim(Probably much better now) that showed up to scare my Dwarves away at the worst possible time. A few searches has turned up nothing, and I'm wondering what exactly causes war number wise. Obviously killing traders, cutting down more trees than the elves permit you to, etc, but does a certain loss of "profit" factor in?

To put things simple, am I less likely to go to war with these hippies if I seize the goods I need as opposed to tearing down my entire depot so all the goodies spill out ? I'm not even close to being prepared to fend off an ambush(Which is why I know goblins are going to show up), so a siege would end me.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Data on trade and how it leads to war?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

Do simple prepares for ambushes, like a wall.  Completely separate yourself from the outside world.  If needed, go get wood from the first cavern layer, that one really isn't a scary cavern.  The just train up a few good dwarves with good quality armor, steel preferably, and don't be afraid to use traps a lot.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:32:27 am »

They will just leave , prolonged things will lead to ZE WAAAAAR , derp
Desu

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:42:22 am »

Do simple prepares for ambushes, like a wall.  Completely separate yourself from the outside world.  If needed, go get wood from the first cavern layer, that one really isn't a scary cavern.  The just train up a few good dwarves with good quality armor, steel preferably, and don't be afraid to use traps a lot.

I never wall myself off(anymore), it's too easy, but I do have basic traps set up at the only river crossing. I just hope the goblins spawn on the other side of my fort so they have to go through them.

Well I know they'll leave, but how much abuse can the Elf civ take before they snap? World gen obviously plays a part in how friendly civs are with each other, but I'm wondering if seizing ~3-5k is more offensive to them then 'magically' losing all of their goods. Unless 'lost' goods are just considered stolen by your civ...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »

I never wall myself off(anymore), it's too easy, but I do have basic traps set up at the only river crossing. I just hope the goblins spawn on the other side of my fort so they have to go through them.

Well I know they'll leave, but how much abuse can the Elf civ take before they snap? World gen obviously plays a part in how friendly civs are with each other, but I'm wondering if seizing ~3-5k is more offensive to them then 'magically' losing all of their goods. Unless 'lost' goods are just considered stolen by your civ...

It's all the same, as far as research has shown. Seizing only tells the traders at the site not to trade; hostility is determined when the net deficit of value in trading with your fort is calculated after the trading season.

On the other hand, many players have reported consecutive years of raiding caravans with no effect except smaller caravans.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »

Has anyone ever actually encountered war from raiding caravans?

I have never, ever had this happen. The only time I ever had this happen when was the human diplomat encountered an "unfortunate accident." I got an attack by the humans, and then a few years later they sent another diplomat to reestablish peace.

But simply stealing from caravans appears to have no effects whatsoever. The only effect is that the next caravan will probably be smaller, but even then it is a very loose correlation.