Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169637 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »

So...... just to check. If there's no mention of any metal in .19 worldgen, that means there's no metal at all?

Kinda screwed embarking to mountains then.....

lol. That also means I need to start figuring out a way to survive without metal and meelee dwarves......

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

Actually the cyan metal is still everywhere.  Making it not only the best metal for almost everything, it is also the most reliable and most common.

There's hardly any point to any other metals anymore.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2011, 02:24:04 pm »

There is some ores....it is just quite constricted by the types of rock etc.
Tarn already acknowledged the problem. Not sure if he'll fix-gap it with extra ores while he's getting the world economy to work.

I just found some galena in my second layer of caves... silver weapons for everyone!

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

Actually the cyan metal is still everywhere.  Making it not only the best metal for almost everything, it is also the most reliable and most common.

There's hardly any point to any other metals anymore.

As other world interactions open up, I wouldn't be surprised if the HFS gets less guaranteed over time, along with the sparser mineral distribution and that sort of thing. Of course, the problem there is that having meaningful interactions with offsite HFS is a bit silly, and how the hell would the dwarves even know if HFS is in a given site pre-embark?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »

I just spent 2 hours designing an efficient, aesthetic, dwarfy underground farm/pasture/shroom nursery, only to find out that grass, mushrooms and underground trees don't grow on artificial mud anymore. :-(

Can someone confirm this?

I have to confess, I cheated a bit by spawning the water via DFHack, and there is an ocean (saltwater) above my farm (about 20 levels; I'm below the caverns, which contain freshwater).

Any ideas on this?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:43 pm »

I just spent 2 hours designing an efficient, aesthetic, dwarfy underground farm/pasture/shroom nursery, only to find out that grass, mushrooms and underground trees don't grow on artificial mud anymore. :-(

Can someone confirm this?

I have to confess, I cheated a bit by spawning the water via DFHack, and there is an ocean (saltwater) above my farm (about 20 levels; I'm below the caverns, which contain freshwater).

Any ideas on this?

Did you find a cavern yet?  I think you have to open a cavern for them to actually start growing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2011, 08:12:50 pm »

I wouldn't know they'd contain freshwater if I didn't breach them, would I? ;) I used them as the entrance of my fortress and a perimeter defense (wild cave crocodiles are awesome watchdogs).

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

Maybe it has more to do with being under the ocean?

check in the caverns for underwater growth. (unless, of course, you have "dry" land in the caverns, in which case, are there shrooms and shrubs there?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »

Plenty of shrooms, grass and trees just above (about 10 z levels) my farm. One was able to create a tree nursery on muddied underground stone before, right? I'm pretty certain I had to fell the trees next to my fields on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:27:24 pm by Haekel »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 25, 2011, 08:29:18 pm »

Plenty of shrooms, grass and trees just above (about 10 z levels) my farm. One was able to create a tree nursery on muddied underground stone before, right? I'm pretty certain I had to fell the trees next to my fields on a regular basis.
Definitely, since that was how engravings got destroyed by plantlife. It'd be a shame if that is lost.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 25, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »

I just noticed that there is no grass growth in the (red sand above some sort of loam of clay) dig zone in z level 1 either.  Other underground growth does occur, though.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

I've got plenty of grass at -1, that's where my pasture is. I'd wager it has a lot to do with surface growth. Are there plants on the beach?

try making mud under some of those plants... My guess is it's a bug.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 25, 2011, 09:14:27 pm »

No plants on the beach, and yeah, I had grass grow pretty much everywhere, but never tried it on muddied stone.

Doing some Science! now.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 25, 2011, 09:34:41 pm »

Well, that was unexpected.  Nature is mocking me.

I channeled a big area on the surface (leaving out an area in the middle of it), just to ... watch the grass growing.   And yes, it did grow.   Then I dug the area I left out.  No grass. The effin' grass needs sunlight now. What is this, I don't even?

It worked just fine just yesterday (and about every time I played DF, with or without 31.19.), so it must be related to the biome or the ocean.

Edit: Okay. There's a shrub and a tower-cap sapling growing in my Main Hall. The Main Hall is on a different biome than my tree nursery (which is still barren). There's no sign of grass regrowth anywhere else but in direct sunlight, though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:52:28 pm by Haekel »

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2011, 02:54:44 am »

Well, that was unexpected.  Nature is mocking me.

I channeled a big area on the surface (leaving out an area in the middle of it), just to ... watch the grass growing.   And yes, it did grow.   Then I dug the area I left out.  No grass. The effin' grass needs sunlight now. What is this, I don't even?

It worked just fine just yesterday (and about every time I played DF, with or without 31.19.), so it must be related to the biome or the ocean.

Edit: Okay. There's a shrub and a tower-cap sapling growing in my Main Hall. The Main Hall is on a different biome than my tree nursery (which is still barren). There's no sign of grass regrowth anywhere else but in direct sunlight, though.

In my mountain/forest fort, I find I get fast growth of cavern vegetation in my dug out soil layers (i.e. at least one full layer of  soil under the floor, even if I dig the soil out later to leave just a thin "soil floor"). Conversely, I cleared a big cavern space in the first cavern layer, hoping to get a tree farm up, but I find that grass/mushrooms don't grow in dug out gabbro, just on the "sandy loam" floors in between the old pillars.

Also my fort's main entrance levels (three layers of soil), gets lots of towercap/fungiwood, despite never being exposed to sunlight. I dug out a pasture room three soil levels down (again, no exposure to sunlight), and that gets lots of grass (feeding my alpaca herd quite nicely).

I think in fixing the "mud needed for underground farms" bug, it removed the ability for wild plantlife to spread across muddied stone (and increased the growth on non-muddied soil) even if right next to existing fungus/tower-cap squares.

does your exposed cavern layer have fresh water or salt water? (I think, but I am not sure, that you can check for fresh water by successfully creating a drinking zone over it).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36