Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169682 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #450 on: February 22, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

What reference? Unless it's the avatar I've missed it.
(@ Footkerchief) 

I choose the black stick.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:51 am »

After a few months, grasses seem to settle for a perfectly square pattern.

Is this intentional? It looks ugly.

What? A dorfer who doesn't grow giddy and unsettled when things aren't arranged in perfectly square patterns?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 22, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »

Maybe you can report it as a bug.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:46 pm »

I wouldn't call 13k of tetrahedrite (copper + 20% silver) and 3k galena (lead + 50% silver) a scarcity of metal. You don't have iron, is that your complaint?
Well, Footkerchief already quoted back something Toady said about it being broken and he knows it, so I'm over it for now.  But since you ask...

I would be extremely concerned if it were a design decision.  The concern in this particular map is a lack of metal that is useful for armor and weapons.  If melting items gave back more than 10% of the metal in them then trading might be a reasonable answer.  The caravans don't seem to have room for tons of meltable stuff and you have to concentrate all the melt jobs in one or two smelters to be able to use all the tenths.  If the stuff the caravan brings wasn't decorated 3 ways bringing the cost of a breastplate to 3000 dwarfbucks it might also be reasonable.  The other concern is over having only 3 kinds of metal (one of them indirectly).  Missing one or two, or half, has been fine in 31.18.  Comparatively 31.19 "feels" like there is nothing there.  Maybe that's just greed kicking in.  And greed, of course, is very dwarven.   ;D

On the flip side, I'm very happy so far with pottery.  Didn't know the gathered clay would be treated like stone though, at least for purposes of mason workshops.  Ordered some cabinets and coffers, some of them are coming up brown red (to match the clay).  Lo and behold, earthenware furniture!  8)

Beware of shearing jobs.  If you queue up shearing and there isn't an animal ready to be shorn, apparently the job just hangs the workshop.  At least that's how it seems.  Don't know if that's bugreport worthy or if it's supposed to work that way.

Edit: disregard shearing comment -- apparently this was just a case of lazy shearers, eventually the jobs did get started and it did cancel job with no animal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:28:56 pm by HammerDave »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »

It is a design decision. You're expected to need to import materials a lot more now, but Toady hasn't overhauled trading enough quite yet to support it. Basically, what everyone is throwing a tantrum about is a half-built feature.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »

It is a design decision. You're expected to need to import materials a lot more now, but Toady hasn't overhauled trading enough quite yet to support it. Basically, what everyone is throwing a tantrum about is a half-built feature.

Saying "It is a design decision" ignores a lot of what Toady said, especially the part about intending to support different play styles:

Regarding the fighting that has taken place upthread, people should relax and not fight with each other when we are the source of your grievances.  As I acknowledged in the release notes, this is a problem.  The release was split because it was delayed and needed to be aired out.  I cleaned up a lot of the loose (split?) ends, but I only thought of this one at the last moment, so I mentioned it in the notes and plan to sort it out during this bugfix period.  Once we have trade, some assurance that a reasonable amount of ore is being brought to the surface in world gen and better local mineral veins, I imagine it'll be less of a problem, but we don't have any of those things yet.  Even after that, I think we should end up with some world gen options for different play styles.  As people have mentioned, an over-abundance of metals will essentially remove that element of the economy (and warfare etc etc), but not everybody is going to be playing for those reasons.  Worlds with some variation in metal distribution will be the ones that receive the most attention over the long term, though.

Please paraphrase more carefully when discussing controversial topics that have already caused flamewars.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2011, 02:02:07 pm »

Is this a new bug or has this happened to other people before?

"Nil Nomavuz, Glazer has been possessed!
"Nil Nomavuz has claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop."
*there is a pile of obsidian near the workshop, he grabs two chunks*
"Nil Nomavuz has begun a mysterious construction!"
...two seasons later...
"Nil Nomavuz, Glazer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
"Nil Nomavuz, Glazer has gone stark raving mad!"

I mean... that seems kind of harsh, a strange mood that kills my dwarf not because he didn't have the supplies or shop, but because he was too slow at construction?

This guy was a dabbling brewer (damnit now I have to train a new brewer for my ice fortress), expert thresher, and accomplished glazer, and nothing else. In case it's useful to know, the craftsdwarf shop was made of obsidian blocks.

I ask in this thread because it's something I've never seen before and he was a glazer--which might point to this being a patch issue.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, and I'm pretty sure I know what's causing it.. it's related to the way the map data is stored.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2011, 04:56:39 pm »

I mean... that seems kind of harsh, a strange mood that kills my dwarf not because he didn't have the supplies or shop, but because he was too slow at construction?
Interesting! Maybe he was trying to applyan obsidian glaze to obsidian. Or maybe his mood required him to apply an artifact glaze to a pottery object, and the code didn't support that.

Do you have a save you can upload?

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:08 pm »

Interesting! Maybe he was trying to applyan obsidian glaze to obsidian. Or maybe his mood required him to apply an artifact glaze to a pottery object, and the code didn't support that.

Do you have a save you can upload?

Sadly, no; I continued playing it, but due to my own idiocy (telling everyone to build a fortress wall around the map in lieu of their other duties) all of my dwarves ate all of the food so we couldn't brew more beer... on an ice map... in winter. Yay for drinking water!

It ended poorly.

But yeah. I think he tried to make something with obsidian glaze, or maybe just some random obsidian object (does obsidian take longer to craft items with?). I've seen reports of, like, dog leather glaze and stuff for artifacts, so I don't know why obsidian would be any more difficult.

It could also be that the combination of using obsidian with lacking whatever skill he was trying to emulate and choosing a particularly time-intensive object to create, maybe all of those time things added up to exceed his sanity limit? I wish I had copied the save, now, actually.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »

Has anyone actually managed to brew alcohol into a glazed large earthenware pot? Because I was monitoring this bug report on bugtracker and it has just been flagged as resolved, no change needed. My dwarves stubbornly refuse to either haul the pots into a storage or use them for liquids ( yes I did glaze them). For some reason they use 3 of them for finished meals, eggs and tallow, but the rest of the pots are just kicking around, outside the stockpiles. They haul them when I flag them to dump, or to the trading depot, and I can sell them, but they simply won't take them to stockpile. Same goes for large stoneware pots(glazed as well).

Which report do you mean?  Is it this one or maybe this one?  If not, please link to the specific report so we can evaluate whether it should be reopened.

Its the first one .... damn i don't know how to do the trick with the links, number: 0003975: Unable to use Large stone pots as barrels. I have a save ready for you
with examples of unclaimed pots and a message from brewer saying not enough barrels.

I have run out of time now, i will upload the save later to DFFD, i have to go to work now.
Ok, I am back for lunch, I uploaded the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3833

I have successfully reproduced this bug on a fresh world gen and fresh embark ( although the save I uploaded is also fresh gen). Im not using any mods.

Thanks!  I alerted Toady that a save is available.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:27 am »

I tried to search for this and didn't find anything...

Anyone noticing their pets fighting other pets?  Is this a new expected behavior?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2011, 11:45:03 am »

That's because they are too close to each other.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2011, 11:45:30 am »

I tried to search for this and didn't find anything...

Anyone noticing their pets fighting other pets?  Is this a new expected behavior?

"Animals crammed into one place for too long can become grumpy and violent [...]"

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stuff like this happens all the time (I frequently see snow only one side of a quick-travel map square border) and is more of a nigh-unavoidable simplification of how weather works.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36