Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169602 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »

I deleted the save. I started completely clean. No modding whatsoever. On a Windows XP.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »

errorlog?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »

If you don't want to play the game that Toady is making, you are free to add in metal-producing reactions and change your creatures with modding.  Nobody is stopping you from changing the frequency of metals, either.  It is entirely unreasonable to demand that placeholder gameplay be retained because you have gotten used to it.

So, if we don't like playing 0.31.19 exactly the way it is, if we don't like every aspect of it, then we have no right to disagree or leave feedback about it? Are you saying that Toady is not only God, but perfect in every way, so questioning the wisdom of how this version of DF turns out is blasphemy?

Seriously, though, you expect us to completely rework the mineral system through modding, simply because you are satisfied with the way it is (or are 100% confident that things will work itself out soon). Changing a few creatures through modding is one thing, but I suspect modding the minerals and metals to suit the rest of us is much more complicated. Besides, no amount of modding will return the details on geology and metal availability prior to embarking. If I'm not mistaken, that is hard-coded.

Complaining about the way that the mineral veins works as if it's being permanently thrust upon us is going too far, but when something is going outside of the bounds of where you want to see the game going, it's certainly worth speaking up alongside others who feel the same to let Toady know that maybe he over-corrected in his steering, and needs to pull it back a little.
Exactly.

I'm not "advocating the death of the mega-construction". I'm saying that it's a bit silly to complain that it might actually be difficult to build gigantic statues made out of platinum, or the Great Wall of China made out of gold.
Actually, by insisting that everyone be forced to do things the hard way, you are advocating the death of mega-construction. There is nothing silly about complaining that the game difficulty (or time consumption and micromanagement required to do something) has been made too extreme in a new release.

I believe most people do mega-construction projects for the construction and creative solution part and most of them could care less about the "realism" of how they achieved the resources necessary to complete it. If it suddenly requires 12 or more game years to achieve the resources needed to do any serious mega-construction, you can bet the number of such projects will greatly diminish.

There is nothing wrong with something that amazing requiring amazing effort. Keep in mind that we're talking about a game here, not, as I said, a set of Legos.
I do not believe anyone is saying that there is something wrong with hardcore survivalism or "amazing effort" in Dwarf Fortress... if that is the type of thing you like. But we are saying that it is wrong to tell us that we must accept the new mineral system as is and play by your rules. Ultimately, this is Toady's game and he can make it however he sees fit. However, he at least seems open to listening to (although not necessarily agreeing with) feedback of all players, no matter their play style.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a game here, not, as I said, a set of Legos.
Yes, and games are intended - first and foremost - to be fun and/or entertaining. For a great many gamers, realism taken to the extreme and requiring "amazing effort" is just not fun. You may say something like, "Well, if you don't like amazing effort, then Dwarf Fortress is not the game for you!" But consider that we had no problem with the level of effort or realism in the last release (0.31.18). It's the extremes of the mineral scarcity and difficulty in finding specific geologic features in new release (the first in an arc) that we have a problem with.

Why must it be 'your way or the highway'? What is so frightening about allowing a bit of additional options for those of us who are not so hardcore?

I'm just saying, I'd rather discuss what could make the feature better (which is good for everyone), rather than automatically jump to the conclusion that it should just be made optional instead (which isn't really good for much of anyone, especially  not the people who actually like where the features are headed and what they're trying to accomplish).

So, you're willing to discuss the finer details of improving this scarce-mineral-distribution-with-the-promise-of-eventually-making-up-for-scarcity-with-better-trade-options, "discuss" implying a willingness to openly consider more than one's own viewpoint, but you're not willing to consider the point of view of those of us (who are more than a few) who want the OPTION to return to a more plentiful distribution via an optional INIT option? IMO, that's quite narrow-minded.

For the record, I believe we are NOT asking to make this new extreme scarcity of minerals optional and only turned on via an INIT option. Just the opposite. Unlike you, we are not asking that the opposite camp be forced into our play style! Instead, we are asking that the default of scarce minerals be left as-is and the rest of us have the option to get more minerals and see more geology/mineral details.

The people who want info on where they embark shouldn't play this really. I like it better this way, and if you dont then here's an option for you. Play this one, or play another.
Just because you guys want something doesn't mean others do, and no, OPTIONALITY is not an option.

This isn't a very helpful attitude, as you're basically implying, whether you mean to or not, "play the way I play, or don't play at all" or "stop having fun any way I don't condone you having fun".
Well put!

Things that drastically and fundamentally change the game are often least suitable for options, because it's that much more difficult for the game to support all options involved if they change the game that much.
We're discussing the rarity of minerals and metals map-wide and getting more details about geology and metals before embark. That would require one or two INIT options. And it shouldn't require much extra coding because it's (with the INIT changed from default) basically making certain aspects of it similar to the last version.

Going from extreme abundance of minerals to almost none at all is extreme. Unless some sort of compromise is offered, more than a few players will be quite upset. Some of us will either stick with 0.31.18 forever (until we get tired of the same features, being left out of future releases) or we may stop playing altogether.

I think it's reasonable to at least know what kind of site we're embarking on. Surely that could be an init option at least. I like making megaprojects myself but at a fairly limited level and I can certainly live without making a "giant gold cock" in every fort, but I do want to know if I've got gabbro, because stone types are important to me. It feels like a huge amount of individual choice has been removed from the game.

My brother's saying he won't play the new version at all now, for the above reason, so there is definitely going to be some degree of player exodus if it's kept this way. Hardcore survivalism is a great, fun way to play Dwarf Fortress, but it didn't used to be the only method, and I don't think it should be the only method.

Exactly. What is so unreasonable with asking that we get init options for something so extreme? You think new players are intimidated now with trying out Dwarf Fortress? Just wait until they see how hardcore survivalist minerals are in 0.31.19! I'm sure more than a few will be so frustrated in finding certain minerals or having enough metal to keep their fortress defended from invading hordes that they will quickly give up on DF.

Besides, everyone seems to be forgetting that this is a single-player game. It's not like a multi-player game where everyone has to be forced to play by the same rules!

"It's typically worth checking before you irrevocably commit yourself to spending the rest of your life mining that worthless ore vein." This reminds me of my visit to a 16 th century Hematite mining site last year. The foreman was showing us the tools of the trade and some exploration shatfs. He said that this one shaft was started by one bloke, he was working on it for 20 years, died and his son picked up the chisel and hammer and continued on the shaft. After ten more years they did eventually find a vein, but they had no way to tell if there ever will be anything there.

This may be fine with some of you. But for some of us this level of "realism" would really suck the fun out of the game.

... which amounts to cloistering yourself into a pit and not caring what other civilizations/sites exist or what they have (with few exceptions).

And the problem with that is?

(The sub-text of that question and the comments so far? What I suspect you have missed up to now ( :P ) is that not everyone shares that view and your taking a stance that 'this' is "obviously the correct view and only a idiot would disagree".)
Again, well put.

IMO, it seems one side of this argument is taking an elitist stance about it. Clearly, there are two sides to this issue and not everyone will agree on what's better. As the saying goes: To each his (or her) own. Different people play DF differently and some expect different things out of it. There's nothing wrong with that. But the only way to satisfy both sides on this is via INIT options.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:38:18 pm by Thundercraft »

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »

Is it any wonder that all the male dwarves are lining up to join the milker profession? Especially since dwarven milk is on the stockpile list of animal extracts.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

wall of text

I don't think anyone is really opposed to adding an option to the world gen parameters to make ores more common. Nevertheless, that will probably be something of niche option, like turning volcanism way up, and it isn't unreasonable or an insult to discuss the future of the vanilla game on the assumption. I also disagree that megaprojects are finished. They just can't be made purely from precious metals. The real Pyramids, if you recall, had a core of limestone and gold only as a cap. It isn't that you can't make pyramids or 30z level tall statues of a dwarf with magma in its eyes or the Great Wall of wherever, but you will need to use precious metals much more sparingly, as decoration, not a base material. I don't really think that destroys the ability to be creative or build. If anything it enhances your ability to find ways to use your gold in the best way. It also gives stuff like electrum and rose gold a point, stretching the gold supply farther with more common metals.  I don't mean in any way to be insulting, but I don't see how this is destroying any playstyle, though I admit it need some buffs to trade and making sure civs don't have absurdly few metals to be really good.
Memento Mori

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2011, 05:18:33 pm »

You can stop the finder at any time now? Awesome! Thanks a lot for that!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2011, 05:58:28 pm »

Great Toads, flame fest. *pulls out extinguisher*

Is anyone's dwarfs eating off of mud tables, sitting on mud chairs, irrigating their farms with mud floodgates connected with mud mechanisms to a mud lever, locking the mud hatchcovers and doors, exporting mud crafts/mugs/instruments/toys in a mud trading depot? The six veins of hematite came at a steep cost :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:47 pm »

Apparently, fully grown roosters only give a skull upon slaughtering, so it's going to be Dwarftucky Fried Skulls for us. :-/

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:20 pm »

Hello Hunam

wurli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »

World gen is more sadistic than ever
small region, 400 years, rest default
1. try: no Dwarfs
2. no Goblins
3. no Dwarfs again :(
4. jay everything there, embark -> crash on start, right before "You have arrived..." message, on 4 different locations
5. no Goblins
6. one Dwarf civ, but without picks and axes, wonder how they managed to dig 

haven't embarked yet

EDIT:
managed to embark and the crash is probably because I have magma and water mixing over many z-Levels
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:58:04 pm by wurli »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:54 pm »

lol @ tolkafox, also you don't have to irrigate in 3.19.

The new finder gives me mixed feelings. While it's kinda actually useful now it only says aquifer.
While shallow metals + flux stones seems to be a decent chance at iron, I'm now stumped by an aquifer at least 3 layers deep (fucking sandstone). It's late summer and i only had soil for two cave ins and i don't think i made a big enough hole to be able to pump the third layer :S.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:01 pm »

Everybody calm down, ore scarcity is a hot topic.  I agree we need a little more ability to figure out what kind of ores are under there, but the quantity is fine by me.  I have one site with huge veins of gold running through half the map, I suspect more than enough for a mega-project.  I like that there is just gold on the surface of this map.  I'm sure I'll find other metals farther down (since it says deep metal, too), but it may not be what I hope for.  Let's all just remember this is an alpha and a new feature.  Toady will balance it out soon enough.

It a friggin' game, people!  Have fun! :)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »

That's a naive approach - people take their entertainment extremely seriously. Unlike work or education where you may or may not labour for fun as there's other benefits, entertainment is meaningless unless it's fun. Games may be the most serious thing some people do. So... when an UNEXPECTED and extreme change occurs which seriously impacts how they derive fun, it's time for serious discussions.

This flamewar happened because assumptions are flying around everywhere: what Toady's intents might be, how fun should be derived from DF and just what exact stance individual discussion participants actually have. When emotions are high, you stop trying to figure out the people who are actually in the discussion and start inserting your projections of who you want your opponents to be - it's easier to rant that way.

Just sit tight - people need to get this out of their system. I assume Toady expected this outrage to occur but he preferred waking up to this in exchange for doing a release NOW instead of 8 months later. Extra playtesting will speed up development and there are people who are willing to play under this transient state of affairs. Not everyone will be happy but that's an inevitability. It's the consequence of more frequent releases when big content updates are occuring and given it keeps community interest high (whether favouring or disagreeing) that's not a bad thing if the fixes come within a reasonable time frame. Sure there may be better ways of going about this, but people seem less interested in discussing that.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2011, 08:04:43 pm »

As unexpected as the change was, I think it gave us a little bit of an impetus to reflect on the "caravan arc" stuff, and trade, and the use/sharing of resources by civilizations. And that's a good thing, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2011, 08:09:27 pm »

Everybody calm down, ore scarcity is a hot topic.  I agree we need a little more ability to figure out what kind of ores are under there, but the quantity is fine by me.  I have one site with huge veins of gold running through half the map, I suspect more than enough for a mega-project.  I like that there is just gold on the surface of this map.  I'm sure I'll find other metals farther down (since it says deep metal, too), but it may not be what I hope for.  Let's all just remember this is an alpha and a new feature.  Toady will balance it out soon enough.

Aye, I'm having fun by not playing .19. I don't feel like taking a month to get the site I was only spending 5 days on in .18.

And ore scarcity may be a hot topic, but there's also the much vaguer embark screen now too. 'deep metal' to some people has turned out to be one 6-tile vein of unspecified origin. Since the actual maps haven't changed, just how they're being presented, I do not feel that it is too unreasonable to ask for an option of 'precise' or 'vague' embark details.

Ore scarcity would do better in the worldgen parameters (e.g. Ore_Quantify 1-100x or somesuch). I'm concerned as well by the fact that I'm limited to a 3x3 embark due to performance - I could easily be crippled due to lack of minerals while someone who can embark on a 7x7 would have much more area in which ore could be found (with the same dwarven population). The abundance of ore in .18 made small embarks possible, but without some form of scaling I think there is a chance we will be forced to take early FPS death and a larger embark simply so we can have those extra potential ore deposits.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36