Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169700 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:51 am »

Shearing share the same bug of milking where an animal dragged to the workshop is catch on the fly by others and taken to the pasture

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2011, 01:56:00 am »

[IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8498/notthebees.png[/img]

Vultures attack chicks and steal bees!

I'm guessing either the bees hitched a ride on the vulture and it flew off, ore more likely it swooped down and picked up the whole hive.  the first thought is funnier though!

It took the bees, but left the wood hive behind. You have to leave the hives exposed to the outside (so the bees can gather pollen for honey), and vultures FLY.

Bees!  Ahhhhh!  I'm covered in bees!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MqTCIDKhU

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2011, 02:09:58 am »

Crap that's a lot of bees. Like, 10000? This may be more than I'm expecting...
Anyway, thanks, Toady, for another great update!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2011, 02:24:17 am »

While perusing into the raws i noticed that hydras do not lay eggs. Now i'm wondering whether that was intentional.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2011, 02:35:57 am »

Considering that this need to graze is new, I suggest following through with your intuition on throttling back the evilness of grass.

He's not saying the grass is so evil (and thus negatively affecting what eats it) that he needs to dial it down, he means they're so abrasively colored as to be an eyesore.

Uh... I have trolls instead of dwarves. What's with that?

Did dwarves go extinct in world-gen?

While perusing into the raws i noticed that hydras do not lay eggs. Now i'm wondering whether that was intentional.

I'd say hydras aren't suppose to reproduce, but then rocs and dragons have apparently been modified to lay eggs now so that's a good question.

Of course that makes me have to ask: are dragon and roc eggs actually in the game at present, and where might you look for them?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:38:33 am by Knigel »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2011, 03:19:51 am »

People marking questions in green on this thread: you are doing it wrong. Toady answers questions on the Future of the Fortress thread.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:02 am »

People marking questions in green on this thread: you are doing it wrong. Toady answers questions on the Future of the Fortress thread.

Damn stole my chance at making a bunch of people facepalm and have to redo there questions lol

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2011, 04:23:56 am »

Oh hell, here goes the rest of my weeks...

Gonna strike the earth non-stopping!!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2011, 04:55:44 am »

Mm... not too fond of either the new embark screen (I look for some pretty specific and strange combinations of rock types, can take a few days of generating to find them) so the lack of specifics is quite disappointing. I would be an advocate of an INIT toggle for it.

The scarcer metal is somewhat disheartening too, and I hope it gets re-balanced.

I guess I'm sticking with .18 for now. Bees aren't worth the severe reduction of fun these two issues have caused me.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:57 am »

I have abundance of... cinnabar veins. Honestly, at the top layers, tens of veins are intersecting, cut by erosion, making loops and stuff. I believe there goes my 'shallow metal mineral'.

And deep metal, I have found in third cavern - it was native gold.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2011, 06:46:23 am »

Well, I for one find this update exciting. The embark screen is much better IMO, because it gives you lots of info, but still keeping simple. I do not think anyone in 15 th century would have detailed core samples for every county in the world. The estimates like "there was some fulx found in the area", or "some surface ores were spotted "are much more realistic. Also the abuntance of mineral has been FINALLY toned down. Keep in mind that this is first of the long chain of releases that upgrades the trading system. I am sure we will get a way to order large amounts of specific stones and ores in time. I really don't understand people who would want to find marble on every fort they found. What is the point of building more than 1 fort then, if they are all going to be same, build from same materials. We will have to work with local materials and trade for the rest. Pottery covers a huge portion of almost all the crucial and essential crafts that are needed to run even a basic fort. Remember that even iron ore used to be precious and valuable resource. Places that had it were wealthy and fought over throughout the history.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:05 am »

Scarce metal? I embarked on a location that said shallow metals and had no flux. Limonite EVERYWHERE. No coal, some gems. Wait, what? Conglomerate as my main layer... isn't that an aquifer?

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Despite this, I really like the changes. Realistic, and more sporting than 'Ok, embark on the limestone layer here, life supply of coal and metal'.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2011, 07:11:32 am »

Is anyone else having difficulty getting rabbit corpses to be butchered, cause my butcher's workshop doesn't recognize it as a corpse or something.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2011, 07:19:46 am »

I do not think anyone in 15 th century would have detailed core samples for every county in the world. The estimates like "there was some fulx found in the area", or "some surface ores were spotted "are much more realistic.
This has been discussed at length in other threads. Basically, you have two sides to the discussion. One argues that dwarves are miners by nature and have been striking the earth and making their living underground for untold generations. So they would have a much more intimate knowledge of geology, minerals and metals than 15th century humans. (Their kinship with the earth is so close one could almost call it supernatural.) Also, they're the only race to make steel. Considering the stats of steel in the raws and how long they've been making it, dwarven steel is probably nearly equivalent to modern steel.

Also the abuntance of mineral has been FINALLY toned down.
Not everyone saw that as a problem. I seem to recall reading a claim that this camp was a minority. Anyway, I think nearly everyone will agree that in .19 this has been taken to the extreme.

Keep in mind that this is first of the long chain of releases that upgrades the trading system. I am sure we will get a way to order large amounts of specific stones and ores in time.
You have a point. However, in the meanwhile, this scarcity (particularly of iron and copper) can make it very difficult to defend one's fortress. (At least, that's what I got from reading the Missing Metals thread.)

I really don't understand people who would want to find marble on every fort they found. What is the point of building more than 1 fort then, if they are all going to be same, build from same materials.
That is a good argument for some scarcity in minerals and stones. But still, metals are far too rare.

We will have to work with local materials and trade for the rest. Pottery covers a huge portion of almost all the crucial and essential crafts that are needed to run even a basic fort. Remember that even iron ore used to be precious and valuable resource. Places that had it were wealthy and fought over throughout the history.
It will make things interesting. And different. I also see the direction of these changes as a good thing in the long run. But I hope to see more INIT options. And I think I'll stick with .18 for a while.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2011, 07:35:07 am »

I love how the kiln job menu instantly tells me whether or not a job is doable now. This colour coding wasn't in earlier version, was it? Or did I just not notice?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36