Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169649 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:49 pm »

i for one would welcome some scarcity, but i seem to have stumbled on an hematite rich region...

Can you tell us how large the deposits are?  Are they just regular veins like in old versions, but much rarer?

It seems like the most common metal in the game has just become the spoiler metal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:45 pm »

The missing metals thread has the  details, but basically you will find 1-2 kinds of metal on most maps now. That metal is available in pretty large amounts, however.
Memento Mori

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »

Can you tell us how large the deposits are?  Are they just regular veins like in old versions, but much rarer?

more like just regular veins like in old versions, but much more common, provided you embark on a good site (shallow metals, supposedly)

i'm guessing shallow metals means easy mode

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

Toady wasn't kidding when he named the clay pots "large". I've just shoved all the meat from two elephants and a rhino into a single pot, so I'm fairly sure this is a repeat of the "Warthog carrying 30 Elephants" situation where he forgot to specify a maximum capacity.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

I can't help but notice that silty clay has become my fort's favorite new masonry material.

I somehow think that my record keeper/manager/expedition leader is going to have trouble keeping records on her dirt table while sitting in her dirt chair that is kept separate from the rest of the fort by a dirt door.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »

Vultures attack chicks and steal bees!

I'm guessing either the bees hitched a ride on the vulture and it flew off, ore more likely it swooped down and picked up the whole hive.  the first thought is funnier though!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »

What's the difference between pots, jugs, and barrels?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2011, 11:29:11 pm »

Apparently, pots are basically the same thing as barrels, but they might contain more due to something odd with their container size.

Jugs are used for containing some of the smaller items, however, like honey and oil.

EDIT:

Oh, and according to Toady, Fire Clay is like all the other clay types, but it makes stoneware instead of just earthware, and doesn't need glazing to become waterproof, and fire clay is like sand - one tile means infinite materials, so if you have fire clay, there's no reason to collect any lesser clay type, as there is no disadvantage to fire clay and stoneware.

EDIT 2:

Of course, I also notice we have no way of telling our kilns to make stoneware or porcelain, anyway.  We get whatever material the worker decides to pick up.  Making sure you only collect the best materials is a matter of zoning your clay pits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:39:50 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2011, 12:36:44 am »

I don't mean to be rude, but I really need to know about the placing it in the Lazy Newb Pack folder. I can't play until then.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:34 am »

I don't mean to be rude, but I really need to know about the placing it in the Lazy Newb Pack folder. I can't play until then.

You'll need to ask in the Lazy Newb Pack thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.615

Off hand, I'd say "no", however.  There are changes to the raws, here, and just trying to overwrite things could probably cause some crash bugs.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2011, 01:10:19 am »

Both, I did mean in .18, but I just tested in .19. My [CARNIVORE][SAVAGE] civ seems to thrive nicely. (Though I think you missed the wrong contingent statement. They favor the large and abundant food of savage forests.)

Correction, It did thrive in .18 by the hundreds or thousands (depending on the map size) in every one of the hundreds of world I generated looking for "just the right" site. In .19? They do starve at year 4, almost all of them in fact. That said, in the 20+ or so world I've made with .19? Save once, they always at the very least have some minor presents. More offend then not, the last or one of the last surviving civilizations no less. (Growing to adulthood in two years at a size of 400000 tends to do that, as they've been know to kill a dragon in the nude. They're basically super-sized tigerman.)

Mayama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2011, 01:21:27 am »

Hmmm looks like the new release reduces my fps. I had 100 fps capped when I embarked with 7 dwarfs in 31.18 and now its a bit over 30.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2011, 01:25:57 am »

I've been doing some testing with civ controllable egg laying races and surprisingly they at least partially work.  A female will run over to the nest, lay an egg and either drag it to the food stockpile or keep it in the box and sit on it depending on weather or not there's a stockpile set to accept the race's eggs.

I currently have 2 Dracon sitting on eggs in their free time.  And I'm keeping a close eye on them to see if the eggs hatch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2011, 01:43:19 am »

Bees!  Ahhhhh!  I'm covered in bees!
At last, she is done.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2011, 01:46:34 am »

Great to see so many updates now if only the trader interface was somehow improved (with the ability to select all of a certain kind of object and the ability to sort the trader's items) and more trade would allow us to have much bigger traders then this could actually work really well!
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36