Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169640 times)

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »

I can confirm the kobolds dying off thing.  On year 4 every kobold genned died of starvation, 3 worlds in a row. 

And although it is probably expected, [CARNIVORE] tag on a custom civ is a surefire way to kill them off early in worldgen.  Just like goblins they need [NO_EAT] [NO_DRINK] to survive.  Kind of a buzzkill for me, but I know workarounds.

I've had some success with [CARNIVORE] civilizations. I pair it with [SAVAGE] on the civ's creatures, make a world with high rain fall (for forests) and a high savagery and they grow like wild fire along "untamed wilds" or "joyous wilds" rivers. More then not, they outnumber the other civs. Of course the legends listed is spammed with "... has devoured a (wild animal here/ELF)..."  Yes, I said elf, their ethics and eating habits don't agree with the elves ... So, every now and then legends will have three entries. "... was attack(ed) <elf>...", "... has defeated <elf>...", "...has devoured <elf>...".

Which is not surprising considering I've only had successful forts with them (that were not dependent on trade for meat)  in wild habitats. Of course that was all in .18 >.>
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:41:48 pm by Panthera Leo »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:25 pm »

Unfortunately, even if historical figures from a civ are killing and eating other creatures, it still might not mean that the game is tracking the nutrition of the civilization, which would still result in mass starvation.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 07:43:44 pm »

Unfortunately, even if historical figures from a civ are killing and eating other creatures, it still might not mean that the game is tracking the nutrition of the civilization, which would still result in mass starvation.

True, but the solid block of 10-20 cities, towns, hamlets and the like following rivers in every world I generate is a good clue. ^.^

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »

True, but the solid block of 10-20 cities, towns, hamlets and the like following rivers in every world I generate is a good clue. ^.^

Oh, if this is in .19, then alright. I thought you meant that it was in .18 from the disclaimer at the end of your post.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »

I'm a little upset by this new embark screen change, where I can't even tell whether a mountain is volcanic or not without embarking, or what kind of soil there is.  Couldn't this be the sort of thing that gets an INIT option or a worldgen parameter?

Wait, what? Hope I'm not late with this but my embark screen shows volcanoes:
http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/984/embark.png

Those are volcano tiles, not volcanic mountain ranges.  I mean being able to tell the difference between an igneous rock mountain and a sedimentary/metamorphic rock mountain.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »

Jesus, what's will all the stuff dying on exactly year 4?

The world gen stopper/multi site thing is something I've been thinking about since a few weeks ago, that's sick it actually got put in too. Thanks toady!

Can bees sting people yet?
Is there any use for the oil right now?

According to the raws, yes: they cause localized pain and swelling.
I put hives all around my entrance. A couple of my dwarves have been stung but never enough to send them to hospital. It's just like a cave spider bite, basically, but not dangerous.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2011, 07:54:31 pm »

*sigh*

I went to all the trouble of really looking through my dwarves, writing down notes on them and their quirks...

And then I crash the game at embark.

No idea what caused it, it just crashed before it had the "strike the Earth" screen.

Booting the game up, embarking in the same region with the same saved preparations causes another crash.

I'll work on isolating the offender
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »

do you have to generate a new world to use this new release?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »

... I think it might be the savage marsh biome.

I can embark in other locations, it just crashes when I embark in savage areas.

EDIT:
Anything in the area of the place I first picked to embark on crashes the game immediately.

Trying in a northern area that was a (frozen) savage marsh, it worked fairly normally.

Trying in a grassland near the marsh, the cavern collapsed on embark, but amusingly, didn't crash the game.  (Into the magma sea.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:12:15 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »

I really dig the way the finder shows matching sites.
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »

My expedition leader just got stung in the eye by a bee, causing permanent damage.  :o

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:33 pm »

Oh, if this is in .19, then alright. I thought you meant that it was in .18 from the disclaimer at the end of your post.

Both, I did mean in .18, but I just tested in .19. My [CARNIVORE][SAVAGE] civ seems to thrive nicely. (Though I think you missed the wrong contingent statement. They favor the large and abundant food of savage forests.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:33 pm »

do you have to generate a new world to use this new release?

Technically I doubt it.  In reality yes.  Grass won't exist, animals won't graze, bees won't exist, and even if bees did exist you wouldn't have the workshops or labors to interact with them, eggs won't exist, new animals won't exist, you get the idea.

...You'll probably be able to pen yer animals though.

I'll have to try pairing savage with carnivore then.  Sounds better than just removing the no eat and drink tags after worldgen in the save.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:22:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »

The game is letting me create stone and wood pots, which then refuse to go into any stockpile or be used in any way.  Are they only supposed to be made out of clay and the fact that you can make them out of other things is the bug, or do clay pots not work either?

EDIT: earthenware pot seems to properly go in the stockpile.

EDIT: stone pots are now being used for food storage, though unused pots still refuse to go into a stockpile.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:11:30 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »

I can't figure out what's causing this, specifically, but it seems to make giant areas of the game completely unplayable - I can't even embark.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36