Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169576 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2011, 06:34:19 pm »

Anyone else noticing how veins and large clusters of minerals seem to be absent?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:29 pm »

The Stray Hen attacks The expedition leader but She scrambles away!
The Stray Hen bites The broker in the right foot, bruising the fat through the (pig tail fiber shoe)!

The Stray Hen latches on firmly!
The Stray Hen stands up.
The Stray Hen attacks The expedition leader but She jumps away!
The Stray Hen stands up.

? when chickens attack!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2011, 06:52:07 pm »

Jesus, what's will all the stuff dying on exactly year 4?

The world gen stopper/multi site thing is something I've been thinking about since a few weeks ago, that's sick it actually got put in too. Thanks toady!

Can bees sting people yet?
Is there any use for the oil right now?

According to the raws, yes: they cause localized pain and swelling.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2011, 06:55:12 pm »

"Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released"
Nice! Lots of cool new stuff, I see.

Animals can be placed in pen/pasture zones, and grazing animals will need to graze on grass (they can also eat underground fungus found in many open cave layers).  Pastures should be made large enough to provide ample grass...
The evil grasses are probably a little extreme and seizure-inducing.  I might throttle that back.
While it does add complexity, the fact that grazing animals need to graze now adds realism and I approve. However, if evil grasses are as evil as you seem to imply, I can see the potential for serious problems in trying to raise grazing animals on evil biomes! (Does this mean that the pack animals (i.e., Muskoxen) in caravans might automatically become sick or die from visiting an evil biome to trade?) Considering that this need to graze is new, I suggest following through with your intuition on throttling back the evilness of grass.

You can make many of the more clayish soil types into earthenware ceramics now...
I didn't get very far into glazing, but you can ash glaze and tin glaze (with cassiterite).

Many of us have been waiting for porcelain crafting and high temperature kilns. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we are very pleased with this addition, which makes the 169. (3) High Temperature Furnace, Porcelain, Stoneware, Earthware on the Eternal Suggestion Voting list rather obsolete now. (It also makes the 79. (13) Ceramics and Cement votes half obsolete, with the other half still relevant.)

Glazing is cool! That said, I hope you consider expanding a bit on the types of glazes. Reading about ceramic glaze on Wikipedia, one finds that a variety of materials have been used as a glaze. Often this includes "suspensions of various powdered minerals, and metal oxides." But what I find as a rather obvious omission is the lack of salt glazes. Why not allow Rock Salt?:
Sodium from the salt reacts with silica in the clay body to form a glassy coating of sodium silicate.
Also, I hope to see one or more porcelain enamel glazes added some day. (I.e., using a powdered form of glass.)

I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

Nice! :D This contamination business was a serious issue!

Also, I'm glad to see a new bug fix cycle. But will these fixes be limited to bugs that have arisen from the changes in 0.31.19? Or is there a possibility that a few of the more annoying/serious outstanding bugs might be looked at? (This is supposed to be the start of the "Caravan Arc", after all. I'm hoping to see wagons in caravans again...)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »

Dodok Ablelgikut, Peasant has been stung by a honey bee!

He isn't the beekeeper, he was just standing on the same tile as a wild vermin worker bee.

At least we know that vermin bites do occur.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:25 pm »

Well I for one love the new embark screen. I like not knowing what is on the site, like the dwarves were sent to embark at this one spot and they had only heard rumours of what the geography/geology was like.
 Overall I love this update, but I did find it odd that the Great Magma Sea is no longer surrounded by Obsidian at all, but Gabbro. Perhaps this is a bug relating to the changes Tarn made in the dispersion of minerals and metals. I had about 20 layers of Marble in between the second and third cavern and the only metal I found on the whole map (other than the tube near the Magma Sea) was cobaltite, which is practically not even a metal at all.
I would have explored the bee industry more if I hadn't gotten eaten by an army of skeletal horses. There was no time. There were no survivors.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »

Dodok Ablelgikut, Peasant has been stung by a honey bee!

He isn't the beekeeper, he was just standing on the same tile as a wild vermin worker bee.

At least we know that vermin bites do occur.

Now do the same for goblins. Mod bee stings to cause paralysis and necrosis.

Death by honeybees, anyone?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »

169. (3) High Temperature Furnace, Porcelain, Stoneware, Earthware[/url] on the Eternal Suggestion Voting list rather obsolete now.

Yes it does, I've deleted it.  Thanks for the reminder.

Glazing is cool! That said, I hope you consider expanding a bit on the types of glazes. Reading about ceramic glaze on Wikipedia, one finds that a variety of materials have been used as a glaze. Often this includes "suspensions of various powdered minerals, and metal oxides." But what I find as a rather obvious omission is the lack of salt glazes. Why not allow Rock Salt?:

From what I saw in Toady's "only", I think he means to add more glaze materials in after a couple versions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:43:37 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »

I'm a little upset by this new embark screen change, where I can't even tell whether a mountain is volcanic or not without embarking, or what kind of soil there is.  Couldn't this be the sort of thing that gets an INIT option or a worldgen parameter?

Wait, what? Hope I'm not late with this but my embark screen shows volcanoes:
http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/984/embark.png
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »

Summer has arrived on the calendar.
Chicks have hatched.

I had built 2 nest boxes. In one, I forbid the eggs. In another, I let the dwarves remove the eggs. A hen was sitting on each box. ALL 8 of the eggs that were left in the nest box, under the hen, are now chicks. This took one season. The eggs on the food stockpile are still eggs.

Result: egg-laying creatures reproduce through eggs. Importing cave crocodile eggs won't get you a baby cave croc, unless I can get it into the nest box somehow.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:13 pm »

Summer has arrived on the calendar.
Chicks have hatched.

I had built 2 nest boxes. In one, I forbid the eggs. In another, I let the dwarves remove the eggs. A hen was sitting on each box. ALL 8 of the eggs that were left in the nest box, under the hen, are now chicks. This took one season. The eggs on the food stockpile are still eggs.

Result: egg-laying creatures reproduce through eggs. Importing cave crocodile eggs won't get you a baby cave croc, unless I can get it into the nest box somehow.

Custom reactions? The new tags that allow you to say 'Stick Reagent A into product' or whatever seem like they might be useful here...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2011, 07:22:29 pm »

Now to mod a race of egg-layers to use the nest boxes!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »

Now to mod a race of egg-layers to use the nest boxes!

That's going to cause ethics issues... (If they find cannibalism to be wrong.)

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:00 pm »

1: Construct Elaborate trap to enclose Kobald in small room with nest box.
2: ???
3: Profit

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »

Anyone else noticing how veins and large clusters of minerals seem to be absent?

Yes I am having this problem. Doing a criss-cross of a whole z-level and not finding one vein. I have some surface galena and apparently that is IT.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36