Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169611 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2011, 05:17:47 pm »

Intriguing. One of the new features of the pasture and beekeeping additions is that it's possible to mark bees to graze in your fields.  :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:50 pm »

I'm a little upset by this new embark screen change, where I can't even tell whether a mountain is volcanic or not without embarking, or what kind of soil there is.  Couldn't this be the sort of thing that gets an INIT option or a worldgen parameter?
Yeah, I would like a Init option for this too.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:45 pm »

I'm a little upset by this new embark screen change, where I can't even tell whether a mountain is volcanic or not without embarking, or what kind of soil there is.  Couldn't this be the sort of thing that gets an INIT option or a worldgen parameter?

Yeah, sure, it's silly to know what's at the bottom of the layers, but it's not unrealistic to know what someone can just plain see exposed on a mountainface before committing to spending the rest of your life in a location.

Especially since we now have a need to look for certain soil types to enjoy the new industries, and the glass industry still requires sand.

It might be a good idea if embarks had an extra soil layer.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »

It might be a good idea if embarks had an extra soil layer.

... Actually, I'll keep that in mind when I gen another world.

I don't often see sand in lower soil layers without an aquifer to make it useless as a soil, but maybe some of the fireable soils...

EDIT: *sigh*  And the ceramics are only made of soils with "clay" in the name... that's dissapointing.  I really did enjoy learning what Gazz had talked about with regards to pottery.  I guess I can mod it, but I'd rather the technical detail and chance to learn in Vanilla.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:44:32 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

Regarding the embark screen changes, I think it would be prudent to hold off on criticism until we can at least get an explanation/justification from Toady. That being said, at first glance I don't like it either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »

I guess if there's a sand indicator thrown in, I don't mind too much, although I like the ability to tell it's a granite cliff face from the embark.

Of course, if it tells you there's "deep metal" down there, then it kind of loses the notion that it's keeping you from seeing things that aren't apparent from the surface.

If the game tells us where the metal is in the embark, this seems possible it's actually something more like a "make the interface less obtuse" effort, so that it doesn't intimidate new players with stone names.  Still, that's the sort of thing that would go well with an init option for the people who aren't intimidated to see more detailed information.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

If that's the case, it might still be handy to distinguish sedimentary (and other layer types), flux, and that sort of thing, as well as noting if certain metals are there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »

1. Shearing, spinning, pressing, and beekeeping are all under farming labors. Do you think Shearing and milking should be animal care labors, and that spinning belongs with weaving under crafts? Farming is a huge category right now.

2. You can pasture any stray animals. This does allow CAT HERDING. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

3. You currently can't embark with a Beekeeper or Waxworker, and neither humans nor dwarves will have them as citizens or migrants, as it is not a "permitted job" in the entity raw. You can train a beekeeper on-site.

4. live honey bees [18534], basic value 18534, weight 92L
This is bugged, and will increase your fort's wealth rather fast.

5. Dwarves automatically take eggs from the nest box to the food stockpile, right out from under the hen. There is no option to stop this. How do we breed chickens? Do we need to leave forbidden eggs in the nest, will any egg hatch, or will chickens breed via spores but lay eggs regardless? Note that you can import eggs in your embark wagon, including cave crocodile eggs. They don't appear to hatch, but I only played for a month in-game.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 06:11:22 pm »

I assumed that eggs weren't used for breeding yet, and that reproduction was always done as it has been in DF. Can anyone confirm/deny?

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

Can someone please post a screenshot of the new embark screen, so those of us who aren't going to upgrade until after the bugfix version can see what the fuss is about?
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »

If that's the case, it might still be handy to distinguish sedimentary (and other layer types), flux, and that sort of thing, as well as noting if certain metals are there.

It does have indicators for flux and clay and shallow/deep metals.

I've got a nice savage forest and swamp combo with clay and deep soil plus flux (so probably plenty of coal for firing ceramics), so I'm embarking, and testing out some of this new stuff.  Notably, there's no shallow metal indicator, in spite of flux, which almost always means it's a sedimentary layer near the top, which should have plenty of iron ores, unless the way in which ores are handled are radically different, now.

I'm most certainly liking the new site finder - that's an excellent job on Toady's part.  (Although there's no sand finder on that, either, unless you count the "drainage" finder...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

I assumed that eggs weren't used for breeding yet, and that reproduction was always done as it has been in DF. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Probably this.  Chickens don't reproduce by eggs, they reproduce by spores.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »

Can someone please post a screenshot of the new embark screen, so those of us who aren't going to upgrade until after the bugfix version can see what the fuss is about?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, if you're curious, just download it :P

You don't have to start a serious fort to just look at the layout.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:33:31 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

The Embark Screen changes are incredibly disheartening, and really need to be optional.

I enjoy building my forts entirely out of marble, and right now I can't pick an embark site that has marble. Finding a good embark site is already painful enough without having to hope it has the stones you want on it.

It's hard to describe how miserable it already was finding a good place to embark. It really and truly is. This change somehow makes it even worse.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »

The game doesn't seem to be recognising the Alpaca wool I just sheared as being wool. It isn't getting put in a wool stockpile, and when I try to spin it says no wool avaliable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36