Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released  (Read 169563 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.19 Released
« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2011, 03:21:05 pm »

So, if you have an animal in a cage in a stockpile, when you put them in a pasture, the dwarfs automatically take the animal from the cage, leaving the cage there, and put it in the pasture. Pastures are a new feature, but did they ever do anything like this before?

I also realised that you should be able to place pastures over bridges. Doesn't that mean you can pasture, say, some war dogs on a bridge, retract it, and drop a whole mess of war dogs on top of your enemies? Then afterwards, you could open the door to the pasture, and the dogs would automatically put back.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2011, 03:28:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure they automatically removed creatures from cages when assigned to a rope.

And I know it was only a matter of time before somebody found a way to weaponize pastures.  Bonus points if there isn't much space on the bridge and they are all enraged when dropped.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:13 pm »

Well i use them for snake&croc pits.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure they automatically removed creatures from cages when assigned to a rope.

And I know it was only a matter of time before somebody found a way to weaponize pastures.  Bonus points if there isn't much space on the bridge and they are all enraged when dropped.

I've noticed when assigning animals to pastures, there is an option in the menu to assign bees. But, you can't actually do that, right? Because it couldn't be that easy to enrage ~20,000 bee and release them to your enemies.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »

I've noticed when assigning animals to pastures, there is an option in the menu to assign bees. But, you can't actually do that, right? Because it couldn't be that easy to enrage ~20,000 bee and release them to your enemies.

Answer? Look here: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page

stopped bees and vermin from being assignable to pastures

I'm kind of sad to see this one go; it was kind of fun having your dwarves capture and tame a swarm of rats and then put them out to pasture. (Not that it was very useful to do so with rats, but I was hoping to eventually do the same with cave spiders to set up silk farms.)

Straight from the Toady's mouth, it is mentioned in Dwarf Fortress Talk #11:

Elderlore > Lost Labyrinth News – 2011-02-22
(Toady One) I finally finished editing Dwarf Fortress Talk #11:

forum thread
stopped bees and vermin from being assignable to pastures
And a whole lot more is mentioned...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »

I just checked in game in .19 and it looks like bees actually can be assigned to pastures at the moment. I don't know if you can get them to attack enemies, but I doubt it; mainly because they don't show up as being tame, and can't be made pets, or anything like that.
But .... It's so small!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »

I've noticed they periodically sting livestock and dwarves nearby so it is possible. I don't think you could get them to attack in a concerted way or be dangerous though.
Memento Mori

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:35 pm »

This might be a bug, and it might be incomplete understanding of how shearing works.

My sheep have "extremely long" white wool, but when I make a Shear job I get a "no creature" message. I was able to shear them immediately after embark and didn't think to look at how long their wool was, so maybe there is simply another step I have to wait for (its been almost a year). Either that, or something is screwy with my sheep shearing.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2011, 08:22:17 pm »

Sounds like the flag for shearing doesnt gets set if the fur regrows. That you get these sheep as shearable could be because they get generated with the right furlenth and the right flag pre-set.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »

Making a new Farmers Workshop seems to have solved it, if it happens again I'll go make a bug report.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2011, 12:25:26 am »

Before I download, what is this going to do to my FPS? Bees pathfinding has to be a bitch.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2011, 12:51:35 am »

Bees are vermin--and they don't path to anything in particular as far as I can see, they just kind of stay wihin 2 or 3 squares of their nest, popping into and out of existence.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:43 am »

Good.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

chenjung_407ad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2011, 01:35:27 am »

Has anyone actually managed to brew alcohol into a glazed large earthenware pot? Because I was monitoring this bug report on bugtracker and it has just been flagged as resolved, no change needed. My dwarves stubbornly refuse to either haul the pots into a storage or use them for liquids ( yes I did glaze them). For some reason they use 3 of them for finished meals, eggs and tallow, but the rest of the pots are just kicking around, outside the stockpiles. They haul them when I flag them to dump, or to the trading depot, and I can sell them, but they simply won't take them to stockpile. Same goes for large stoneware pots(glazed as well).

Which report do you mean?  Is it this one or maybe this one?  If not, please link to the specific report so we can evaluate whether it should be reopened.

Its the first one .... damn i don't know how to do the trick with the links, number: 0003975: Unable to use Large stone pots as barrels. I have a save ready for you
with examples of unclaimed pots and a message from brewer saying not enough barrels.

Thanks!  I alerted Toady that a save is available.

I've got the same problem, but perhaps a bit more severe - I have dozens of glazed and unglazed earthenware, stoneware and stone pots, plus several green glass pots, and they're not even being used for food storage.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:24 am »

Max love out to the Toad man!!!

All hail the god of deep gaming.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36