Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battlefield cleanup: Which weapons should I keep?  (Read 1629 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battlefield cleanup: Which weapons should I keep?
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:26 am »

I've cleaned up after several sieges now, and I've collected a wide variety of weaponry.  As I was pouring over my list selecting weapons to melt down for my dwarves, I got to wondering: Are there any really GOOD weapons here?

What are the best weapons to keep from sieges?  Pikes? Mauls? Halberds? Great-Axes? Longswords?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Battlefield cleanup: Which weapons should I keep?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:16 am »

I've cleaned up after several sieges now, and I've collected a wide variety of weaponry.  As I was pouring over my list selecting weapons to melt down for my dwarves, I got to wondering: Are there any really GOOD weapons here?

What are the best weapons to keep from sieges?  Pikes? Mauls? Halberds? Great-Axes? Longswords?

I throw them all into traps, actually, but I have a heck of a lot of weapon traps on the Path of Pain (not to mention the area *below* it, which is going to be nothing but 10-weapon nasty traps eventually).

That said, the best ones to my knowledge are the whips/scourges and 2H swords.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:47 am »

Personally I melt anything which isn't masterwork Steel. I get more use out of the actual metal than the weapons from invaders.

Whips & Scourges are horrendously overpowed in the default raws (they're like superlasers that target a dwarves brain through a steel helmet & his own skull when used by goblins). Good for weapon traps if you use normal weapons in them but again I prefer to use masterwork steel large serrated discs or masterwork steel upright spikes if I use weapon traps.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:46:10 am »

Those damn whips... THAT damn silver whip... And that damn goblin lasher... *weeps gently*

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:18 am »

Those damn whips... THAT damn silver whip... And that damn goblin lasher... *weeps gently*

There there, mate. Melt it down and make a nice memorial to all the dwarves he killed out of it.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »

Nothing.

Melt it all down. Feed the iron into your magma smelters. Then produce high quality dwarven steel out of the remains of your enemies.

No dwarf would ever use anything forged by goblin hands. Its only valuable as ore.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »

Actually, if it's the same as previous versions, foreign weapons can indeed have different properties from Dwarf made ones. For example, if I remember correctly only certain foreign melee weapons could be wielded two handed (which had an effect but I can't remember). If I remember correctly Dwarven swords are shortswords, and longswords are wielded with two hands for example, due to dwarves' slightly smaller stature. Pikes the same.

However, with dwarves holding three swords per hand last I heard, I'd guess it's something to wait until the army arc is finished to worry too much about.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:56:23 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »

i keep the steel halberds and probably great axes,
the rest made of good metals goes into traps
the rest into smelter
later go into fortress decoration.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »

Why would any self respecting dwarf rely on goblin weaponsmiths for anything?  :(

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:36 pm »

I keep whips mostly, and either melt (If I have magma forges), smash, or occasionally use the rest for traps. Goblin, human, and elf weapons tend to be low quality and not made from ideal materials.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:42:13 am »

There there, mate. Melt it down and make a nice memorial to all the dwarves he killed out of it.

The whip I was referring to has little to do with dwarves getting killed by it. I was actually thinking of that Cave Swallowman it killed.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:25 am »

The whip I was referring to has little to do with dwarves getting killed by it. I was actually thinking of that Cave Swallowman it killed.

So make a memorial to that heroic, selfless Cave Swallowman that gave its life to defend your fortress.

On a semi-related note, I once saw a goblin lasher leader of a siege squad take off a dog's leg with a silver lash. I was like "Armok's hairy nipples, man! What have you got tied to the end of that thing?! A chainsaw?!"

Poor doggie.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:22 am »

I saw a goblin whipman go straight through my steel armor. Curse you goblin steel!

I stick them all in weapon traps, so goblins eventually wind up dead by their own weapons. Those whips are pretty darn awesome though, if you can get a steel or silver one...
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:44 am »

I melt down all of the goblin junk, including whips, and just turn it into masterwork giant steel serrated discs. Its a whole lot more effective that way.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

I saw a goblin whipman go straight through my steel armor. Curse you goblin steel!

More like "curse untested values in raws for weapons which have been an issue since 0.31.x released & have still not been fixed even though it's a simple change".
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 
Pages: [1] 2