Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXI - Game Over: Be Ashamed. Be Very Ashamed.  (Read 56762 times)

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXI - Day 1: Ominous Words...
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »

Unvote.
Suppose super will noob spazz later in this day, and trust me his noobness is a sight to behold, will you be willing to lynch him even if you are not entirely sure he is scum?

Because A spazzing noob usually ruins the day...and the days that follow if he isn't lynched...

I myself see the beginning of d1 as info gathering and Then Finding scum is the main priorit for the rest of the game...

SaintDraze, are you saying that it's better to lynch "a spazzing noob", based on their skill level rather than their scumminess, than scum on Day 1?  Is it because you're scum yourself, and you'd rather agitate someone that could be an easy lynch?
It certainly seems that way...
I really regret poking the bear now...

by spazzing I mean doing this,"WHY U OMGUSING ME I DIDN'T Do NOthing! !#$@!%!#@$@! U IS SCUM YAEUP YOU IS SCUMMMMM!!! ScUMM SCUMY SCum!!!!!!"

I'd lych someone like that, Even if it mean I was Lynched too... Anything to make sure I don't have to deal with that kind of shit...

Anyhow I thought I had to test Super to test how easy it would be to rile him up.
He's learning alittle.But not much apparantly... Did you see how easy he was, calling me scum because I voted him first? He should have asked why I didn't ask a question with my vote...
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

Yeah, okay.

You're probably scum.

Unvote Japa, SaintDraze.

I'll tell you exactly why I think so, so you can work on it and improve.

You voted Supercharazad to try and provoke him into flipping out, with the full intention of pushing him to get lynched over it. So you're not really looking for scum, you're looking for lynches. This is not a townie attitude.

You changed your story by adding mafia jargon you probably don't fully understand yet to it, in the hopes that it would make you look better.

You also just now expressed regret over doing it the moment you received heat for it. Scum, especially new scum, backtrack very quickly over an issue the moment they get any resistance.

I've laid out the accusation. You should probably now attempt a reasonable explanation for your actions. You should also try to scumhunt. The only way anybody looks town in mafia is by actively and aggressively hunting for scum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »

Okay then...
F%#!@$ this, going to focus on Kingmaker 4, at least I haven't dug myself into a hole in that game, Let someone else take my place
Replace me please
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:26 pm »

Oh, no you don't.

You don't get to run away just because you get into a little trouble.

You need to stay put.

And learn.

Because I'm going to teach you.

So sit back down in your desk. It's time for your lesson.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 09:46:28 pm »

Japa - Minecraft or DF?

That's a very good question. I currently play minecraft more, but I don't have a real preference.

Japa, you've never played a game of mafia before, right? How would you determine who to inspect at night?

I actually have played a game before, once. I didn't do particularly well, at least in my opinion, and didn't particularly enjoy it. I'm hoping this game will turn out better.

SaintDraze, because, for lack of any better clues, you seem to be causing the most drama here.

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2011, 09:47:45 pm »

Why are you afraid of drawing the scum's attention?

[The reason I ask this is because townies need to be unafraid of death.  An important point some new players miss is that town and scum win as teams:  it doesn't matter if you are alive or dead.  If you get killed in the night, oh well- it (possibly) means the scum was afraid of you, meaning you were doing a good job.  A counter point to this is you shouldn't read too much into who got killed in the night when determining scum- the scum team might take the unexpected path to mislead you.]

I was stuck on "if I die I can't find the scum, because I can't trust the other townies to do it for me, because I can't trust that the other townies are townies and not scum".  I'll try and remember that.  Can I still get some tips on pressuring, though?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:39 pm »

Japa, you've never played a game of mafia before, right? How would you determine who to inspect at night?

I actually have played a game before, once. I didn't do particularly well, at least in my opinion, and didn't particularly enjoy it. I'm hoping this game will turn out better.

That's only part of my question.

As a cop, how would you determine who to inspect?

Also, my first game was incredibly stressful and I vowed to never play the game again after it. It got significantly easier after the first.

SaintDraze, because, for lack of any better clues, you seem to be causing the most drama here.

Just because he's the source of drama doesn't make him scum. So, do you think he's scum?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:44 pm »

If I was cop, I would inspect people that I find suspicious, but don't have a definite oppinion on.

regardless, however,

I am not a crookcop

As for SaintDraze, it's too early to really tell who's scum, but he seems the most likely to me, at this early point in time.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

The natural question I have is why.

Why do you think he's scum?

It is always a good idea to explain why you think somebody is scum. It is never enough to vote them and say you suspect them. Reasons are critical.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »

Unvote.

I was, at first, just following your reasons, but now that I stop and think about it, I don't fully agree with them.

Yes, it's true that he initially provoked Supercharizard to test his reaction, but he backed off as soon as he saw that he seems to be acting better. the rest is just defense from being accused which is pretty natural.

I am now undecided in regards to who the scum might be.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »

I was stuck on "if I die I can't find the scum, because I can't trust the other townies to do it for me, because I can't trust that the other townies are townies and not scum".  I'll try and remember that.  Can I still get some tips on pressuring, though?

Getting over that hump is a good step past being a beginner.  I'm going to suggest Dak's Scumhunting guide (linked in first post) for putting pressure on people, with the caveat that you shouldn't focus on one person at a time.  That's known as tunnelling (a la tunnel vision) and isn't very productive.

[Jim raised an excellent point.  You should always assume every question asked of you has the question "Why?" following it, especially if it's about your suspicions.  Backing up your suspicions with logic and reason is the best way to get them taken seriously.]

Japa:  Jim said this as well, but scum tend to waffle and back off their points when challenged over them.  You did just that.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time, but I'm going to remember it for the future.  In any case, if you're not sure of your points, think twice before posting and acting on them.

[SaintDraze:  This is your chance to learn.  If you want to get better, don't run off when things look a little sour.  Getting a vote or two within the first 24 hours of the game opening is not the end of the world, and can easily be turned around by showing some effort.]

Super:  What do you think of Saint's attempts to rile you up?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 02:48:26 am »

What do I think about it? I think it was a pretty bad way of trying to get someone lynched, without knowing or having any evidence about whether I were scum or town..

Currently, I have SaintDraze high on my scum list, but not high enough to vote...yet...

PPE: Oh right, after reading more, SaintDraze wants to quit... Umm... not particularly scummy,but still, he's leaving the minute he is targeted, that's a scumtell

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:06 am »

Tyberix:  If you were scum, what qualities would you want in your scum partner?
First of all i probably  be happy with someone who played few games more than me, aside of that i don't think good scum need any special qualities except double checking what's he's about to post,and certainly he should be active ,lurking scum even if doesn't bring suspicion on themselves can't help the scumpartner in need. What would be your strategy on D1 as scum ?

SaintDraze When i ask question i expect  some honesty in answer and you make it hard :

To answer your question,
Ogg Uoog, maybe yes, I would like to see some defensivness, or someone asking what scumtells I would want to see so as to know Which ones to specifically avoid,As for bandwagons I would try to do what painiac did In king maker 4, Only, you know, Good? (he tried to deflect attention onto another person who did not have much experiance...) as for the double vote, Its just two votes, it won't be a problem unless it snowballs...

Okay then...
F%#!@$ this, going to focus on Kingmaker 4, at least I haven't dug myself into a hole in that game, Let someone else take my place
Replace me please

And really i don't see the problem in having even 4 or 5 votes as town at this stage,unless you feel you know who is scum and want to prove it as fast as possible. Or there's option in which you're scum.

Japa Why you're suddenly change you're opinion on SaintDraze ? Are you afraid of being accused of bandwagoning ? Also claiming town is suspicious, that's the role everyone know you could be but telling that you look like you need outside confirmation on that - that's scummy.

Akivara Do you think posting your thoughts on nightkill reason is bad or good idea ? ( on D2 i mean)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:05 am »

Japa Why you're suddenly change you're opinion on SaintDraze ? Are you afraid of being accused of bandwagoning ? Also claiming town is suspicious, that's the role everyone know you could be but telling that you look like you need outside confirmation on that - that's scummy.

It wasn't a sudden change of opinion. I'm still suspicious of him, but not enough to vote for him just yet. While I was bandwagoning initially, when asked to explain myself, it forced me to think through my reasons for voting for him, and after further thought, I realized that some of those reasons weren't very good ones. I admit, I was hasty in my initial voting, but my stance is still firm.

As for stating that I'm town, I didn't specifically say that. I was mangling a Richard Nixon quote to say that I'm not a cop, which somebody was implying that I might be.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2011, 06:50:39 am »

Painiac How would you choose doc target ,if you were one, on N1 ?

I would do scumhunt of course, and guess who is scum. It's always two people less to choose from. Next, I would try to guess which person is most agressive, experienced pro-town. Then next, wifom ensues. If scum is sly? Or want to kill most dangerous threat? Do he suspect that town has doc? Hell. I would probably not drink wine, and protect most pro-town guy anyway. Loss of less useful townie wouldn't hurt that much.
Painiac:  Did you realize you voted two different people?

Yes, I had realized that already. I forgot I can use FoS thing. So, I FoS-ed SaintDraze already.

It certainly seems that way...
I really regret poking the bear now...

by spazzing I mean doing this,"WHY U OMGUSING ME I DIDN'T Do NOthing! !#$@!%!#@$@! U IS SCUM YAEUP YOU IS SCUMMMMM!!! ScUMM SCUMY SCum!!!!!!"

I'd lych someone like that, Even if it mean I was Lynched too... Anything to make sure I don't have to deal with that kind of shit...

Anyhow I thought I had to test Super to test how easy it would be to rile him up.
He's learning alittle.But not much apparantly... Did you see how easy he was, calling me scum because I voted him first? He should have asked why I didn't ask a question with my vote...

You regret poking a bear? So, you regret it because of eventual attack from him. It sounds scummy to me. I don't think that townie should regret any scumhunt. Attack is part of the game. Are you scared of pressure? And I have impression you are scapegoating him here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32